Ramadan Kareem!! (51 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The point is people are saying kudos to Sissoko for fasting, while it really would be quite a disgrace.

He doesn't have to fast right now. He's a football player, it's a health risk, he can fast later. So if he would choose to fast right now he's actually making the choice to be unprofessional. He'd still do so even if his religion told him he had to fast at that particular time though, but the fact he could have waited makes the whole thing even worse.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Okay, no worries then. Let Sissoko fast and practice his religion in peace. If we happen to lose points on it, who cares? Few draws here, couple losses there, it don't matter. It's only a sport. His religion is clearly more important to the world than football, so we should cater to him at the expense of the people who pay money maintaining this club and the fans who pay for sporting events. This is the best way to go for all of us, because religions should be respected. :)
Neither religion nor football is very important to the world.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
The point is people are saying kudos to Sissoko for fasting, while it really would be quite a disgrace.

He doesn't have to fast right now. He's a football player, it's a health risk, he can fast later. So if he would choose to fast right now he's actually making the choice to be unprofessional. He'd still do so even if his religion told him he had to fast at that particular time though, but the fact he could have waited makes the whole thing even worse.
Perhaps someone should find out if Sissoko is indeed fasting before his is officially black listed?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Perhaps someone should find out if Sissoko is indeed fasting before his is officially black listed?
I don't care about Sissoko's particular case. I care about the issue. I will never hold much against Sissoko as I'm a big fan of his and he's a Juventus player.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
We're talking about the premise here, not about Sissoko per say. He's just being used as an example to hit the people who defend this stuff a little harder.

Whether people think fasting while player is professional or not, it certainly does effect his play. There isn't any debate here - this is scientifically proven. Unless you talk to a Muslim doctor or a witch doctor, every single doctor you ask will tell you athletes need proper nourishment. No if, no buts.

You don't see any athletes fasting during events due to doctor advice, do you?

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Lion thinks these statements are both correct. Oddly enough this is impossible.

No both those statements are correct. You can postpone your fast if you HAVE (keyword being have) by that I meanif you were sick, and had to eat food, or if you were a pregnant mother..etc.

This is where it becomes gray. Is it neccessary or allowed to post pone his fast during the season? he could, because his work requires him to be in top condition physically, which means he should eat. Islam does not have problems with that. But then again, the freedom of practicing religion allows him to practice his faith...

The problem is if he is actually fasting he might not see it that way. He may think he can't post pone it.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Not really. It has been an argument in Belgium for ages. We have lots of muslim players here and their performance always dramatically drops. Which is very very annoying as they can postpone their Ramadan, but refuse to do so. Hence I think it would be very unprofessional of Sissoko to fast right now.
I agree with you on this. Some people like to exaggerate ('holier than thou') their beliefs and that's perhaps why these athletes are fasting even though they know it's effecting their performance and hence I can understand your frustration.

However, to ridicule Sissoko for fasting without even knowing that he fasted on Sunday or whether that was actually the reason why he didn't perform as well, is completely wrong. Even a scientist tests a theory more than once to prove its validity.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Okay, no worries then. Let Sissoko fast and practice his religion in peace. If we happen to lose points on it, who cares? Few draws here, couple losses there, it don't matter. It's only a sport. His religion is clearly more important to the world than football, so we should cater to him at the expense of the people who pay money maintaining this club and the fans who pay for sporting events. This is the best way to go for all of us, because religions should be respected. :)
Yeah, I mean to hell with squad depth to cover for him! it's not like we have a squad of 27 players, we only got Sissoko :)

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Yeah, I mean to hell with squad depth to cover for him! it's not like we have a squad of 27 players, we only got Sissoko :)
That's what I'm thinking. If you wanna blame someone, blame the people that signed him, knowing that he would be fasting, for not knowing he would be fasting, or for not providing adequate cover.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
We're talking about the premise here, not about Sissoko per say. He's just being used as an example to hit the people who defend this stuff a little harder.

Whether people think fasting while player is professional or not, it certainly does effect his play. There isn't any debate here - this is scientifically proven. Unless you talk to a Muslim doctor or a witch doctor, every single doctor you ask will tell you athletes need proper nourishment. No if, no buts.

You don't see any athletes fasting during events due to doctor advice, do you?
lol, so a Muslim doctor is in the same category as a witch doctor?

Do you even know how we fast? Like what we do and stuff? For instance, did you know that we wake up before dawn to eat and drink; basically we're 'storing' ourselves to last us the day.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I agree with you on this. Some people like to exaggerate ('holier than thou') their beliefs and that's perhaps why these athletes are fasting even though they know it's effecting their performance and hence I can understand your frustration.

However, to ridicule Sissoko for fasting without even knowing that he fasted on Sunday or whether that was actually the reason why he didn't perform as well, is completely wrong. Even a scientist tests a theory more than once to prove its validity.
That's why I use the word IF. If he fasted, if he didn't tell Ranieri, et cetera. Again, Sissoko is just an example.

If you don't us using him as an example, talk to the people who used the fact that Sissoko might be fasting as an excuse for his performance.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
lol, so a Muslim doctor is in the same category as a witch doctor?

Do you even know how we fast? Like what we do and stuff? For instance, did you know that we wake up before dawn to eat and drink; basically we're 'storing' ourselves to last us the day.
A witch doctor and an Islamic doctor would be the only ones who disagree with the fact that footballers need proper nourishment at VARIOUS times of day.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
That's why I use the word IF. If he fasted, if he didn't tell Ranieri, et cetera. Again, Sissoko is just an example.

If you don't us using him as an example, talk to the people who used the fact that Sissoko might be fasting as an excuse for his performance.
Well they're retarded. Why are we wasting our time arguing a point they made? Let's talk about how Barzagli is the best thing since sliced bread :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 50)