Benitez

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
He did well with Rangers, but it was his work with Scotland that really seemed to get him noticed.
You really replying to that post? :D

Notice the "top club like Rangers FC" part, i thought that was enough to make it obvious i was just busting your balls :p

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Based on experience, Benitez. That is what we need for a top 4 position.

Do you not rate Gasperini or something?
You say based on experience (and I agree) you'll choose Benitez, but the fact is that Benitez is 2 years younger than Gasperini and when you look at their experience and achievements and compare it with their age, the difference is shocking.

So a logical question follows....is the experience that makes the difference between these two or it's something else?

Sure, even though younger, Rafa has much better experience and much bigger trophy cabinet, but doesn't that tell you that Rafa has bigger experience and won more trophies simply because he's a much better coach?

Gasperini's biggest achievements at the senior level are a promotion from serie C to serie B and a 5th place in one of the weakest serie A's in the last decades, followed by a season in which his team has the 2nd worst defense in the league after Siena.

What's there to rate about him?

Sure, you might say that one can't expect more from him when he coached Crotone and Genoa. But the bare fact that he's 51 year old and he never coached a better team than Genoa tells a lot.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
You really replying to that post? :D

Notice the "top club like Rangers FC" part, i thought that was enough to make it obvious i was just busting your balls :p
I knew you were trying to wind me up, but it ain't going to work. :p

McLeish conducted himself properly when he was in charge of Rangers, so he is still a beloved legend.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
You say based on experience (and I agree) you'll choose Benitez, but the fact is that Benitez is 2 years younger than Gasperini and when you look at their experience and achievements and compare it with their age, the difference is shocking.

So a logical question follows....is the experience that makes the difference between these two or it's something else?

Sure, even though younger, Rafa has much better experience and much bigger trophy cabinet, but doesn't that tell you that Rafa has bigger experience and won more trophies simply because he's a much better coach?

Gasperini's biggest achievements at the senior level are a promotion from serie C to serie B and a 5th place in one of the weakest serie A's in the last decades, followed by a season in which his team has the 2nd worst defense in the league after Siena.

Sure, you might say that one can't expect more from him when he coached Crotone and Genoa. But the bare fact that he's 51 year old and he never coached a better team than Genoa tells a lot.

Forget comparing him to Benitez, i think thats knee jerkish and absurd to begin with. But i am sensing that you are a little harsh towards Gasperini. With the players he had at his disposal in Genoa last season it was an achievment what he accomplished, add to that he got his team playing fast paced attacking football too. I think he's a very good coach.

I knew you were trying to wind me up, but it ain't going to work. :p

McLeish conducted himself properly when he was in charge of Rangers, so he is still a beloved legend.

It worked before :D

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I dont think a guy like Benitez comes with any guarantees, especially given that we're talking about the Serie A. I feel the english game is easier to adapt to as a coach and as a player when you're coming from Spain. This seems like another opportunity that this idiotic bunch of people are all set to lose. The opportunity to provide someone of the like of Gasperini or Prandelli the chance to make the step up in quality from where they are. Sure, Benitez is more exposed than them, and is tactically at least a more evolved mind, but we'll never know how quick the aforementioned coaches could pick things up with a team like this at thier disposal. Gasperini has shown his ability to nurture talent and bring a team together, perhaps even better than Prandelli has. And currently, that's what is being missed at Juventus. When you have a Buffon in goal, a Chiellini in defense, a Diego in midfield, a Del Piero and Trezeguet in attack you cannot under any circumstances have an excuse to be as abysmal as we have been. A guy like Gian Piero Gasperini would be ideal to take stock of things in this scenario. Perhaps moreso than Rafa - who is great when it comes to games on the continent, but has no clue on how to instill the level of discipline needed to be consistent enough to mount a title challenge domestically. He pulled it off at Valencia at a time when both Barca and Madrid were lacking the kind of identities they have today, in a league that is probably a lot more open than calcio tends to be. And a lot more forgiving when it comes to the odd slip up. The likes of Gasperini and Prandelli know this mindset, they live with it everyday. And that's why they deserve this opportunity more than anyone else.

Rafa maybe more renowned, but a Gasperini or Prandelli are better suited to Juventus for my money. Both, for mentality and style.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Forget comparing him to Benitez, i think thats knee jerkish and absurd to begin with. But i am sensing that you are a little harsh towards Gasperini. With the players he had at his disposal in Genoa last season it was an achievment what he accomplished, add to that he got his team playing fast paced attacking football too. I think he's a very good coach.
But think about it Fred.... he once made his team play attractive football, end up 5th (even though quality wise his team should've ended 6-9th) and that's it.... I don't see the same this year.

For lots of coaches in their 50's you can say that once in their career they made a good achievement, as you can say for Gasperini.....for lots of them you can also say that they did it more than once, but not for Gasperini.

I won't be harsh and call him a bad coach, but I simply can't call him a good coach because there is way too little material to judge him but lots of gray hair on his head.

Still people, lots of the members here, want him in Juve. Why? Really, why? If these same people didn't want Ranieri and dislike him, then what is it that is different about Gasperini when you compare him to Ranieri?
At 51 Ranieri at least had a Coppa Italia and Coppa del Rey as a manager behind him.

May 22, 2007

I'm not sure how he got into the Valencia job, but the fact that he got into a bigger club with more resources has helped distinguish a gap between him and Gasperini. Benitez wasn't even Valencia's first option apparently (fourth option), so that should say a bit about how he was rated at the time.

The main problem with Genoa is (as you said) the defense, which they don't really invest (maybe because they can't?). Alongside that they aren't a rich side, and looking at the squad they had for last season I think it's quite a bit achievement that they managed to finish level with Fiorentina so soon after returning to top flight. Obviously, they've been hurt this season with the sales (Rubinho, Motta and Milito) and Scarpi who is often prone to errors on top of the extra competition.

I like their style of football a lot, and it is very similar to what a lot here have been looking for to catch up with the rest of Europe's elite. Provided we can properly structure our back four in the summer, allowing him to develop the rest of the team onto his fast, hard working, attacking mentality would help us both in Europe and the league significantly. And I think Amauri would flourish under him in all honesty.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Guys, it's unfair to pit Gasperini against Rafa, only because Gasperini doesn't have the yardstick of a big club to judge him by. There are no parameters for comparison. But just because the former hasn't one any trophies in his time, doesnt mean he cant do it when the right team comes along. Lippi, case in point.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
SKY: Rafa entourage met with Juve officials in Milan. Juve doing everything to make it happen NOW.

I still think Guus is coming. :crazy:

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
I would take Rafa in a heartbeat.

Sure Gasperini is more fairy tale like since he's this unknown coach doing great things at a small club,he's someone who's already been associated with Juventus in the past etc.But this is hardly the time to go for someone who hasn't coached a big team in his career.The risk associated with it is massive.It will either be great,or it will blow up.

Rafa is the safer,and better choice.His signings at Liverpool have been piss poor.Most of them atleast.But he won't have the liberty with signings in Italy the way he did in England,and if he comes here,he would know that very well.Thus the risk of him wasting money on crappy players is reduced.And no,for anyone who's going to bring it up for the 908503458094358940358th time,Secco hasnt wasted money.The players he has signed just haven't performed.Simple.

Hate Rafa for all you want.But he's a very good coach.He has the past record,he has the experience.All he needs is a new environment,since his motivation level at Liverpool is probably at an all time low.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I know its not all reliable but its fun to read, and if you get used to it you can start to recognize which articles are complete BS and which ones have some truth to them.

Tbh its really stupid that articles from goal.com are banned here, its not really any less reliable than other football websites it just publishes a lot more articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)