Racism In Football (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2005
It is high time the authorities did something more than mere sermonising on the problem of racism in football. Atletico Madrid are the latest club to get fined for racist behaviour of their fans. This is sequel to Espanyol's Carlos Khameni having bananas thrown at him during a recent league match. This is not the first time the club is being involved in this sort of behaviour. Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos have suffered similar abuse from fans of the same club.

But with the fine being a paltry 400 pounds, for a 3rd offence in the same season, is this not a sign that the authorities:

a) lack the balls to tackle racism at clubs; or
b) really don't give a sh*t.

Either option doesn't really look good. If the authorities can't tackle racist fans by coming down heavily on errant clubs, due to a lack of resolve, then it means such irresponsible behaviour will continue indefinitely. If on the other hand, the authorities dont really care, then it means that racism is set to be institutionalised in Spain.

Luis Aragones racially abused Thierry Henry and got a fine which wouldn't cause a penniless fly to lose any sleep. The fact that this is the 3rd strike for Atletico, should have prompted more decisive behaviour from the authorities. The club's management has promised to tackle the errant fans by examining videos of the game and trying to spot the idiots. It has also promised to ban anyone who is identified. Those are hardly strong words. Especially when you consider that it is their third fine this year, but all the fines have been of the same amount.

This means the club has been fined a lousy 1,200 pounds for three incidents of racist abuse of opposing players in the same season.

Does this attitude indicate an intolerance of racism? Absolutely not, in my humble opinion.

The authorities in Spain need to step up their intolerance of racist abuse. FIFA, UEFA and even the English FA have all taken steps to ensure that the ugly spectre of racism dissappears from the beautiful game. This will only happen if there is cooperation from all stakeholders in the game.

It is time to actually kick racism out of football.

Buy on AliExpress.com

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++
Let's kick racism out of football :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero:
not just football,out of our life..

This is sequel to Espanyol's Carlos Khameni having bananas thrown at him during a recent league match.
man this is too much:fero::fero::fero::fero:

I can't believe that racism continue till this age,we are at 21st century for fvck sake!!!
for me Racism is the same as women were being abused in the stone age, thing never change morons are always morons

Shoryuken

Jan 7, 2005
I agree, kick racism out of soccer.

The swedish team played against bulgaria some time ago and Henok Goitom(Black Player) was abused by the bulgarian crowd, they made monkey sounds everytime he touched the ball, Sweden was down 1-0 Henok got the ball and the noises came, he replied by not only scoring one goal but also the second one. After the two goals the crowd learned to shut the **** up. Allot of the bulgarian crowd stood up and applauded him when he was substitutet, even some of the same people who where making noises before.

I love that story:cool:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Man, i've always wished this Racism thing will disappear.

What is going in La liga and some other leagues is a real shame, I just don't know how these people can make diff by colors or nations etc....

Lets kick the Racism out of Football and out of our Life as Snoop just said.

OP
madlawyer1
Feb 26, 2005
  • Thread Starter #11
    Yes, Italy and Germany have had their problems with racists in the past, and I remember there was an Italian team where the players all painted their bodies half black in solidarity with their black team-mate who was racially abused, but I've forgotten the name. The point is that Spain currently seems to be the No. 1 spot for racists in football. It's not very nice is it?

And if the Spanish FA keeps on handing out slaps on the wrist for such serious offences, then it seems it will turn into an institution in Spain.

OP
    madlawyer1
    Feb 26, 2005
  • Thread Starter #13
    ++ [ originally posted by TonyMontana ] ++
    I agree, kick racism out of soccer.

The swedish team played against bulgaria some time ago and Henok Goitom(Black Player) was abused by the bulgarian crowd, they made monkey sounds everytime he touched the ball, Sweden was down 1-0 Henok got the ball and the noises came, he replied by not only scoring one goal but also the second one. After the two goals the crowd learned to shut the **** up. Allot of the bulgarian crowd stood up and applauded him when he was substitutet, even some of the same people who where making noises before.

I love that story:cool:
    Indeed, the best answer any player can give to fans who are booing him, or racially abusing him is to score against their team. That'll shut the idiots up:D

Kameni did just that for Espanyol. In response to the boos and bananas, he pulled of two blinding saves to deny Atletico. That should teach em a lesson or two.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
    Fairy tale endings for the above stories some might say...

I think it is down to the determination of the players, and the support of their teamates.

OP
    madlawyer1
    Feb 26, 2005
  • Thread Starter #15
    if i were playing football in a country where i got subjected to racist chants, i would think that my team-mates owed me a duty to stand up and speak out against it.

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    At the risk of sounding like a racist, i really detest the 'stand up, speak up' thing made up by nike.

Lets get one thing straight with people on the forum who believe what they read too much: Aragones did NOT racially abuse Henry. That is a mis-translation myth invented by the english media to cause contraversy.

Ill explain once again exactly what he said.

In spain, it is very very common to call someone 'blackie'. It has no hate meaning behind it. For example, if there is a group of 4 people, 3 being white and 1 being black its perfectly normal to refer the the black man as blackie. Its exactly the same if there would be a blonde haired person in a group of brown haired people, he would be refered to as 'blondie'.

Now, the ignorant english media have found racist meaning in it simply because they do not know the spanish culture. Aragones said to reyes: Prove to me your better then the blackie. This had no racist meaning behind it whatsoever.

Anyway, this was the trigger to all the events that made the commercial bullshit that stand up speak up is. What do they do? They campaign agaisnt racism by selling people these shitty little wristbands for 2 euros each.

From the nike website:

STAND UP SPEAK UP IS A CAMPAIGN THAT EMPOWERS TRUE FOOTBALL FANS TO SHOW THEIR OPPOSITION TO RACISM.

THE PLAYERS CAN ONLY SPEAK OUT OFF THE PITCH. IN THE STADIUMS WE NEED YOUR HELP TO SHOW THE IGNORANT FEW THAT THEIR VIEWS WON’T BE TOLERATED.

THE SYMBOL OF THE CAMPAIGN IS THE BLACK AND WHITE WRISTBAND. WEAR IT AND YOU STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE PLAYERS AND FANS WHO SHARE YOUR DETERMINATION TO TAKE POSITIVE ACTION AGAINST RACISM IN FOOTBALL.

Now, what does that do? you buy the little crappy bands which will do absolutely NOTHING to stop the real racists out there, and nike make millions. Most people dont see that nike are exploiting the recent racism problems in football for their own fianicial agenda. Its a joke. Stand up Speak up is one massive advertisement for nike. If anyone like me says they dont like it, i will be branded a racist. Im sure i will now. Nike dont do this out of the goodness of their hearts, like any big co-peration, they will do what brings them alot of money. And now people feel the need to buy that crap to show they are anti racist, and if you dont like it, you are a racist. Plus the fact that loads of these crappy bands were released a month after the nike advertising campaign 'stand up speak up' was made proves it is an advertising campaign. (ie the childline wristbands, the anti war wristbands)

So lets look at it this way: The trigger to stand up speak up did not really exsist, and Nike are racking in millions selling these rubber bands and exploiting the fact that racism is a big taboo in society.

I will say now that i am not a racist, i just see the biggest picture. I abore racism in football, but i had to let all that out before the ignorant lot here praise stand up speak up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)