Quistion about the CL (1 Viewer)

Juve_7

Apr 5, 2004
I have the following quistion about the CL and hope you can help me out:
Does the champion of the tournament get an automatic place in next year's CL even if finishing lets say 6th in his domestic league?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Juve_7

Juve_7

Apr 5, 2004
  • Thread Starter #2
    ++ [ originally posted by Juve_7 ] ++
    I have the following quistion about the CL and hope you can help me out:
    Does the champion of the tournament get an automatic place in next year's CL even if finishing lets say 6th in his domestic league?
    made some research and they do get an automatic place ...but it means that the fourth place team does not play the CL playoffs instead they play the eufa cup
    just thought ill let you know...

Sep 28, 2002
    i think that was the case with real in 2000. they won the cl, but finished 5th in la liga, so that way 4th place zaragosa had to play in the uefa cup.

why are you asking juve7? chelsea 2nd, monaco 2nd, porto 1st, depor 4th? they're all in for next season.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    It does add to the overall quality of the competition. Barca are usually one of the most entertaining sides in the competition, before exploding spectacularly, and they're hardly ever league champions.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    It gets better: Barca were in a position last year where it was perfectly possible (given some odd performances) that they could win the UCL and get relegated in the same season :LOL:

OP
    Juve_7

Juve_7

Apr 5, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by Vilhelmas ] ++
    i think that was the case with real in 2000. they won the cl, but finished 5th in la liga, so that way 4th place zaragosa had to play in the uefa cup.

why are you asking juve7? chelsea 2nd, monaco 2nd, porto 1st, depor 4th? they're all in for next season.
    i have a freind who is a Man U fan and was wondering if Man U would benefit from Chelsea winning the CL meaning they would qualify directly without having to play the first stages ...anyways turns out they wont bellow is a link for all the rules and regulations for the CL
    <http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL/CompetitionInfo/index,newsId=28012.html>

OP
    Juve_7

Juve_7

Apr 5, 2004
  • Thread Starter #11
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    I thought they changed that system.. oh wait or was that the system that hosts of WC gets auto qualification? Damn these rules
    no no that also did not change ....its redeciuolouse to make hosts of the WC go through qualifications IMO

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    host of the World Cup qualify directly.. only the winnners have to do the qualifying this time.... its ment to give more competetive games to those countries.... like the case with France who won world cup 98 and Euro 2000 and go on with hardly a competetive game in 4 years...

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

It's not fair that clubs that don't win their leagues get to participate at all. :(
    Hear hear! :( I want a real CHAMPIONSHIP league! :groan: I understand that some leagues are tougher/popular/money-magnetish and they deserve some recognition, but 4 or even 3 spots is just too much IMVHO!

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++

Hear hear! :( I want a real CHAMPIONSHIP league! :groan: I understand that some leagues are tougher/popular/money-magnetish and they deserve some recognition, but 4 or even 3 spots is just too much IMVHO!
    true that. its not really nice when 3rd placed team wins the thing, like milan last year. 2 teams from top leagues only. even if this ment juve in uefa cup. not that they deserve better.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Then this year's CL would have featured:

Real Madrid
    Juventus
    Manchester United
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Olympiakos CFP
    Bayern München
    PSV Eindhoven
    Club Brugge
    FC Porto
    Glasgow Rangers
    Galatasaray
    Sparta Praha
    Partizan Belgrade
    Locomotive Moscow
    Dynamo Kiev

And perhaps some Eastern European Champions but that about covers it.

No Ajax, no Deportivo, no Arsenal, no Valencia, no Monaco, no Anderlecht, no Chelsea, no Milan, no Marseille, no Lazio

Bit of a downer, no?

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    That depends really. Sure at first it wouldn't look all that good, but at least it would bring in something exciting. Personally I would love to see all those 'new' teams as I hardly know them and I'm curious to see how they would perform.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    We sailed on different boats there for a moment dear :D My format of the CL would replace those 3rd and 4th spots with champions from different countries such as Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, ... the ones who don't have that much chance to surpass the qualifying games and see the CL spotlight.

32 teams:
    2 italian
    2 spanish
    2 english
    2 german
    1 portuguese
    1 dutch
    1 russian
    1 czech
    1 greek
    1 serbian
    1 croatian
    1 scotland
    1 french
    1 belgian
    1 austrian
    1 romanian
    1 polish
    1 swedish
    1 norweigan
    1 swiss
    1 danish
    1 slovenian
    1 ukrainian
    1 irish
    1 turkish
    1 bulgarian
    1 hungarian
    1 slovak

Something like that ... if you would move even the 2nd place spots you would get room for 4 more nations :)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    I'd replace Germany with France (they're higher on UEFA's official ranking list too right now) but other than that I suppose I can live with it.

I'll just pray Ajax become champions every season :D

OP
    Juve_7

Juve_7

Apr 5, 2004
  • Thread Starter #20
    That depends really. Sure at first it wouldn't look all that good, but at least it would bring in something exciting. Personally I would love to see all those 'new' teams as I hardly know them and I'm curious to see how they would perform.
    but it does not make sence .. you have just said earlier that those teams are not good enough to make it through the earlly stages ....so i think if they were given automatic qualification we wont benefit anything but seeing the big guns trash them and play easier matches .....
    remember that this year has has 3 out of four teams that wont have qualified if it wasnt for that rule ...
    those teams beat Juve,AC,Real,Arsenal.....etc and do you think the teams you are talking about would be able to do the same and produce surprises and an exeptional tournament ....I doubt IMO those teams would only decrease the quality of the matches we are seeing and the effort big teams are putting for winning this tournament .
    if they wanna play in the CL final stages they should play better and when it a couple of times ... and then they will earn there place in the CL ...only my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)