QF 1 | Portugal - England (3 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
Difference is Beckham can take it. Del Piero chokes. ;)
I know this statement was made a while ago, and I don't mean to be disrespectful to England or their supporters, but I couldn't help but chuckle at this post in hindsight
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
You know it's funny about the penalty shootout cause apparently after Becks' miss Svennis ordered the boys to just make sure it's on target, which they politely did. Weird though..
Indeed, it was funny because the next 3 penalties were straight down the middle. It was pretty tough psychologically on Ricardo, who stayed in the middle for the next penalty which went to his right :LOL:
It might have put him off. But the team were aware of the bad penalty spots as they had complained pre-match.
That's a poor excuse though, considering both teams took penalties from the same spot. I guess to his credit Becks took the first one. Then again, I had a theory at the time that the other English players were just trying to save a bit of face for Becks by stamping on the spot a few times :)
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
Mind games... a lot of keepers do that, try to disturb the takers a bit.
At least he didn't do a Lehmann
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Panenka did it better though - with more pace and direction to it. Had James lifted his foot for Postiga's penalty, he would have kicked it out. Panenka never gave any keeper any chance! :cool:
Yep, it was mis-hit IMO. Of course he meant to chip it, but the whole purpose of a chipped penalty is that if the keeper dives the right direction, it still sails over him and into the net

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
Actually I meant English people from England that were born in England that reside in England but who cares. I'm going to end this by saying goodnight.
FWIW, I actually watched the match with a Brit here in San Francisco at my house.

And yes, he did laugh when Italy did not advance.

And yes, he perfectly called all the next morning's tabloid headlines in England the minute the game ended: "We wuz robbed!" -- eventhough he personally thought the ref's call on Campbell's header was fair.

Sep 14, 2003
And for people complaining about the English response and showing images of tabloid newspapers. Get over it. What do you expect for a tabloid. Fools.

And to the other 'liers' who claim England laughed at Italys defeat. Stop talking out of your ass, because there are people here who actually live in England and know its lies. You just make yourself look stupid.
LOL, save it for someone who gives a shit!

I remember CLEARLY the reaction by the English media to Italy's elimination in WC 2002, because I was in England at the time. Maybe I'm being a little over-sensitive but I was disgusted and offended by their their silly little creasy wop attitude.

Sorry, but I had to highlight the hypocritical attitude of the press. We couldn't complain about 5 offside goals wrongly ruled offed and the Moreno fiasco, yet it's OK for the English to moan about Meier?!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++

keep your sarcasm for better days andy, river's right.

stu, i also laughed at italy's elimination. when team with such squad playes like italy did everyone SHOULD laugh.
Dawg, I'm not gonna bash anyone for laughing at Italy because as you said, they deserve to be laughed at, but it's ridiculous that some people here are trying to make it seem like laughing at England is a crime. You can laugh at who you want to laugh at, right? So I laugh at the English.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

FWIW, I actually watched the match with a Brit here in San Francisco at my house.

And yes, he did laugh when Italy did not advance.

And yes, he perfectly called all the next morning's tabloid headlines in England the minute the game ended: "We wuz robbed!" -- eventhough he personally thought the ref's call on Campbell's header was fair.
Thank you

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++

keep your sarcasm for better days andy, river's right.

stu, i also laughed at italy's elimination. when team with such squad playes like italy did everyone SHOULD laugh.
I know you're heartbroken because England is out, but I'll be sarcastic whenever the hell I want to.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

Dawg, I'm not gonna bash anyone for laughing at Italy because as you said, they deserve to be laughed at, but it's ridiculous that some people here are trying to make it seem like laughing at England is a crime. You can laugh at who you want to laugh at, right? So I laugh at the English.
And I am laughing right along with you Stu. :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Difference is Beckham can take it. Del Piero chokes.
Sorry, but that really makes no sense. I think the two penalties that Becks took in this Tourney shows that he "choked". Mind you that IMO, Beckham doesn't have half the skill that Del Piero has/had. And Becks could have been the LEAST influential Captain in the whole Tourney for any Nation. All he did was take free kicks. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)