QF 1 | Portugal - England (2 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
Yes. Everyone says that.

But we did hold out, we did score a winner. And we even did great to come back into it in extra time. But still, someones gotta lose. its just dissappointing to see goals dissallowed like that.

On another note. The portugese players annoyed me in the shootout. Especially the goalkeeper, asking ref to check the ball was on the spot, pointing at the player, removing his gloves etc.

Ronaldo fainting a run up. That used to be illegal. And still should be.
Its all part of the game. Its called "gamemanship". There is nothing wrong with any of that. The GK has the right to question where the ball is spotted.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
The penalty spot was shown close up on TV. It had sunk about two-three inches. They explained that, as already said here, it has a sand base.
The previous night both teams had taken a full series of practice penalties and the spots at both sides failed due to the constant pressure from the standing foot of the players as they kicked. England put a complaint in last night (Wednesday) but it fell on deaf ears.

Suppose it was the same for both sides though, although if you go for power, you will be disadvantaged:down:

HOT NEWS....ROONEY HAS BROKEN HIS FOOT>>>OFFICIAL
yeah with beckham hitting it like that his foot would have sank.

Get well soon Rooney :down:

Andries THATS STILL ILLEGAL?????
Why the hell was it allowed.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Didn't you watch Deco?
He spent a good twenty seconds or more patching it up:confused:
Yes, I noticed him doing it as well, but he really was the only Portugese player to do so. And Ricardo, well Ricardo didn't seem to mind at all.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Its all part of the game. Its called "gamemanship". There is nothing wrong with any of that. The GK has the right to question where the ball is spotted.
I didnt say it was wrong. But its something that is greatly frowned upon here.

Ronaldo cant even take a penalty without trying to make a show of it. And he shouldnt have been allowed to do that.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

yeah with beckham hitting it like that his foot would have sank.

Get well soon Rooney :down:

Andries THATS STILL ILLEGAL?????
Why the hell was it allowed.
I know, I found it strange too. But referees do tend to not do anything in a shootout. Goalkeepers aren't supposed to come of their line either, but Dida could and so most other goalkeepers. The hesitating of players is illegal and mostly annoying.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++
Well the ball slightly rolled away just before Becks was going to kick it.
Are you sure it wasn't cause he touced it with his left foot? I haven't seen it in a replay, but the Norwegian commentators said it looked like he touched it with his left foot before he hit it with the right.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

Are you sure it wasn't cause he touced it with his left foot? I haven't seen it in a replay, but the Norwegian commentators said it looked like he touched it with his left foot before he hit it with the right.
Could be, but you have to be a darn bad football player for that.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++

Yes, I noticed him doing it as well, but he really was the only Portugese player to do so. And Ricardo, well Ricardo didn't seem to mind at all.
Fair point...

On the Ricardo thing...don't you have to tell the Ref in advance who will be taking the penalties...can you change from the list?

And Ronaldo...I thought he had a cowardly dig at Cole when Portugal took the lead...and laughed when he got away with it...poor show.

But well done Portugal and good luck in the next round.
England can come home with their heads high as they put up a good show

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Fair point...

On the Ricardo thing...don't you have to tell the Ref in advance who will be taking the penalties...can you change from the list?

And Ronaldo...I thought he had a cowardly dig at Cole when Portugal took the lead...and laughed when he got away with it...poor show.

But well done Portugal and good luck in the next round.
England can come with their heads high as they put up a good show
You have to tell the first five, but I don't think you need to name the other ones.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

Weve just saw it replayed in close up from behind about four-five times here...he placed his left foot really close to the spot, and this moved the turf as it wasn't gripping the sand beneath...and the ball moved about an inch or so.

His bad luck for being first to kick...bit like the Turkey penalty if I remember correctly

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
From The BBC:-

Beckham takes the blame

PORTUGAL 2-2 ENGLAND (Portugal win 6-5 on penalties)

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson revealed David Beckham was blaming himself for England's penalty shoot-out defeat at Euro 2004 to Portugal.
England lost 6-5 on penalties with Beckham and Darius Vassell missing.

"David might be blaming himself but football is like that, especially when you go to penalties," said Eriksson.

"It's a skill but it is also a lottery and I think he slipped with his foot once again unfortunately. But life has to go on, though it is a pity."

He added: "I feel sad for the players and the fans, who have behaved extremely well.

"I thought we had a good chance to reach the final, unfortunately we will go back to England."

It's a big disappointment to lose like this but it always seems to happen

About the condition of the penalty spots, Eriksson added: "Twice before both games we played at this stadium we complained.

"I complained personally to the Uefa official responsible about the penalty spot.

"Then on Wednesday for a second time we talked about it again to Uefa and they said they would replace some of the grass on it."

Striker Michael Owen admitted the penalty shoot-out defeat was a "bitter blow" after his goal had put England 1-0 up just three minutes in.

"It's a big disappointment to lose like this but it always seems to happen. It's a bitter blow," said Owen.

"These tournaments only come round every two years so we can't win every time.

"I should have scored with a header just before Sol's effort went in, and I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

"It's a sand-based pitch, and the way people take penalties they put a lot of pressure on their standing foot and it just seemed to give way."

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Rooney suffers broken bone

England striker Wayne Rooney will be out of action for up to a month after suffering a broken bone in his foot in the quarter-final defeat to Portugal.
Rooney limped off just 27 minutes into the game after Portugal's Jorge Andrade had stood on his foot.

"It's the same injury as David Beckham had before the World Cup, he will be out maybe a month," said England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Rooney tried to continue but was eventually replaced by Darius Vassell.

The 18-year-old Everton striker had been England's star of the tournament so far, having scored four goals.

He was taken to hospital for an X-ray on his foot immediately after leaving the pitch.

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
Congrats to Portugal...Hard Luck for England...

Both teams did a GREAT game...

Ashley Cole was the man of the match IMO..he stopped C.Ronaldo completely

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)