QF 1 | Portugal - England (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Half of the teams have been sent home, the group stage is over and tonight, the knock-out round begins. This is where it gets really exciting!

Starting tonight when the hosts Portugal invite the English to try and get past them. Who'll win it?

-

Buy on AliExpress.com

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
It should be an interesting match. It will all depend on Portugal I reckon. Do we see the Portugal that lost to Greece or even the US in the last WC or do we see the Portugal that beat Spain? I think Portugal will come to play and being at home, I don't see them losing. Although I'll be rooting for England...

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Perhaps Beckham will finally show us something...though I don't really expect anything from him. He's the same Godot Del Piero is in big tournaments.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Saphire_diablo ] ++
Portugal will win.
I suspect England will respect the host and let them win it...
What the hell are you drinking? Can i have some?

++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++
Perhaps Beckham will finally show us something...though I don't really expect anything from him. He's the same Godot Del Piero is in big tournaments.
Bullshit:)

Beckham has never been as bad as Del Piero. Big deal he kicked simone, before that he had a FANTASTIC tournament. And we wouldnt even be here without him.

And its not like he's playing bad, Rooney is just taking the limelight right now.

And... Come on England!!!!

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Beckham and Del Piero are very different players though. Beckham is pretty much a great right foot, whereas Del Piero is expected to score goals. I think there is a lot more pressure on Ale.

River

Jun 15, 2004
You gotta be joking :)

Both players have alot of pressure. Del Piero to finally make his mark on international football.

Beckham as captain. Although the pressure on him now is nothing compared to after the Simone incident. He was a national figure of hatred. He couldnt walk onto a pitch anywhere in England without being booed and even shown red cards by fans.

Difference is Beckham can take it. Del Piero chokes. ;)

Sep 14, 2003
I am interested to see how many England fans will be in the stadium, they might actually out-number the Portuguese!

Of the game itself, I'm hoping for an open, entertaining match - Portugal will either crumble under the pressure of expectation or be inpsired to victory.

England look very tough to beat and then there's Wayne Rooney....

I haven't got a clue who'll win!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Beckham has to carry way less pressure than Ale. Each and every team everyone is extremely tolerant for Beckham. Del Piero was never forgiven those 2 chances he missed in the final of Euro 2000, whereas no one even could remember Beckham got England out of the 98 world cup. And I do think Beckham sucked so far. He really did play bad games. Though I still remain a huge Beckham fan. I guess I have a soft spot for players who don't live up to their potential. And by the way..that skeleton they once showed in the Delle Alpi with Del Piero written on it, that has got be worse than those red cards.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Beckham only is better at handling pressure sometimes. No top player should take a penalty in the way he did against France. Even I could do better than that.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Beckham only is better at handling pressure sometimes. No top player should take a penalty in the way he did against France. Even I could do better than that.
He cant take penalties. He always hits them to the right :D
Owen should take them.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
River.. steeady... just kidding :D

No points for guessing who I'm rooting for. Although Scolari will probably mess up again.
He coached Brazil when they kicked England out of the World Cup.

Our nutty swede will want revenge:D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Hmm.. he hasn't made up more than Del Piero did in Korea/Japan. Del Piero was called Italy's saviour and Beckham killed Argentina. So I don't really see why Beckham is less of a choker.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Hmm.. he hasn't made up more than Del Piero did in Korea/Japan. Del Piero was called Italy's saviour and Beckham killed Argentina. So I don't really see why Beckham is less of a choker.
What are you on about ?

Del Piero was called italys saviour in 2002? For what, scoring one goal V Mexico? I dont remember him being a saviour. And Beckham kicked out in France 98, not Japan02 :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)