Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (6 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
i think that if a country say australia went full disclosure to have it in winter(their summer) and at odd times for euro markets and won no one would complain. With qatar, it was just a bunch of lies from the get go. I dont think a squeaky clean human rights record is necessary, very few have that to begin with.
The bolded: Thats what I'm looking for. I'm glad you don't think that in principle a country should be disallowed from hosting the WC if the climate doesn't fit Europe.

The italic: Juvejay disagrees, according to him if it doesn't fit Euro markets then you're not fit to host the WC.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The bolded: Thats what I'm looking for. I'm glad you don't think that in principle a country should be disallowed from hosting the WC if the climate doesn't fit Europe.

The italic: Juvejay disagrees, according to him if it doesn't fit Euro markets then you're not fit to host the WC.
That's nice and all, but in reality the powers that be in football are European.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
So if your climate doesn't fit Europe's schedule, then you're out of luck, that simple?
Yep, that's just it. It's like hosting the Winter Olympics in Nigeria. With enough money you could do it, but it's a big pile of bs to get there, it makes no sense, it's arrogant, it's abhorrent, it's overly expensive.

It's right that you don't know me personally, and perhaps if you want to take it to such a personal level you don't have much else to say. There is nothing elitist about not wanting to change something which doesn't require change, just so a few people can line their pockets, and others can have the world's biggest and shiniest turd.

Qatar's bid wasn't based on a winter World Cup, and should immediately be voided as such.

- - - Updated - - -

Understand what I said first, nothing to do with European climate, everything to do with suitable climate. Climate is funny like that, it can be similar between hemispheres.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Yep, that's just it. It's like hosting the Winter Olympics in Nigeria. With enough money you could do it, but it's a big pile of bs to get there, it makes no sense, it's arrogant, it's abhorrent, it's overly expensive.

It's right that you don't know me personally, and perhaps if you want to take it to such a personal level you don't have much else to say. There is nothing elitist about not wanting to change something which doesn't require change, just so a few people can line their pockets, and others can have the world's biggest and shiniest turd.
I shouldn't have made it personal; my bad.

Back to the subject in hand. No its not like hosting the winter olympics in Nigeria, the World Cup is called the world cup for a reason, when its called the world cup that should be scheduled at the convenience of europes top leagues, then you can compare. Until then thats a poor analogy and you know it.

Something that doesn't require change? It does now, Qatar won the hosting rights, the climate makes it unrealistic to have it in the summer, it isn't set in stone that the WC has to be in the summer either, so why not have it in January?

And stop bringing up money and deep pockets, I specifically asked you whether you were in principle opposed to a country hosting the WC in the winter because of extenuating circumstances(such as climate) just because it would upset the European football schedules, and you specifically answered yes. So this has nothing to do with Qatar, and it has nothing to do about money, it has everything to do with the obnoxious standard you are forwarding.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

Back to the subject in hand. No its not like hosting the winter olympics in Nigeria, the World Cup is called the world cup for a reason, when its called the world cup that should be scheduled at the convenience of europes top leagues, then you can compare. Until then thats a poor analogy and you know it.

Something that doesn't require change? It does now, Qatar won the hosting rights, the climate makes it unrealistic to have it in the summer, it isn't set in stone that the WC has to be in the summer either, so why not have it in January?

And stop bringing up money and deep pockets, I specifically asked you whether you were in principle opposed to a country hosting the WC in the winter because of extenuating circumstances(such as climate) just because it would upset the European football schedules, and you specifically answered yes. So this has nothing to do with Qatar, and it has nothing to do about money, it has everything to do with the obnoxious standard you are forwarding.
They do have a winter in Nigeria too. Maybe one of their oligarchs really likes skiing. Isn't it fair that they should bid for a global event like the Olympics? What if the people of Greenland want to bid for the summer Olympics? These are extreme examples, but so is hosting a football tournament in a desert state.

I don't want to repeat myself but of course I don't want the European schedule changed for 2-3 years so some guys can extend their ego penises. The World Cup is played during the European summer and that shouldn't change. If you want to call that the North American summer or even the Qatari summer it's the same thing, don't get hung up on the name. This is just when it's played. Do you think I'm bothered about enjoying the benefits of a typical UK summer when I watch the tournament (namely rain, alcoholism and vomit)?

Like I said, the Qatar bid was based on one thing and then changed to something else after they (immorally, as has been shown) won the rights, so it should go back to a re-vote with Qatar submitting a bid with a winter tournament. See how popular that is. If a bidding federation goes back on something like the timing of an event then it is all open to change, just what is the point of compiling a bid in the first place? FIFA may as well say "give money pls" at the start and then whoever pays the most/has a continental 'turn' for hosting can just put together whatever proposal they like.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
If it wasnt for the issue of slavery especially in a country with an advanced economy like Qatar,i wouldnt be having any problems of seeing a winter world cup.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm just curious: do you guys think the World Cup will actually be held in Qatar? I wonder if they will be able to withstand the pressure..

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
So you don't have an issue with a winter WC but with Qatar. Like me btw.
Yup.Personally i find it cool to have a WC in December/January regardless of it disrupting the European football schedule or not.

To be fair,you would've seen people slowly accepting to the thought of having a winter WC say Australia or Canada were hosting it for example even though initially they would've opposed it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yup.Personally i find it cool to have a WC in December/January regardless of it disrupting the European football schedule or not.

To be fair,you would've seen people slowly accepting to the thought of having a winter WC say Australia or Canada were hosting it for example even though initially they would've opposed it.
I don't think you know where Canada is.. It's -15°C in Toronto right now for example.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I was speaking hypothetically.I knew Canada wasnt the best example,neither is Australia.I mean isnt it like 40 C and above during December-January there.
Yes, but I think Australia's also different than Qatar in this, because there are obviously cooler places in Australia too. The heat in Qatar on the other hand is unavoidable. I get your point though, the climate is obviously not why people don't want the WC to be held in Qatar.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Would it make a difference if it was a large country, they weren't so rich, and they had a squeaky clean human rights record?

Juvejay doesn't seem to think so, he says that if you're climate doesn't fit Europe's football schedule then no matter what, you aren't fit to host the World Cup. What do you think?
And you're saying fuck everyone and all human rights just so you could laugh at europeans? Nice, where do you live btw?

Not to mention that they bid for a SUMMER world cup. If any country would do this no matter where there would be similar reactions. Don't flatter quatar and make it so important that it's arab country or whatever. The lies, the climate, the corruption... this is a bad choice anyway you look at it.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
So in other words: you don't know what you are talking.

Look up human rights and Qatar, otherwise shut up.

Thanks, honey.
Amazing how stuck up you are. :lol:

Learn how to read.

I'm just curious: do you guys think the World Cup will actually be held in Qatar? I wonder if they will be able to withstand the pressure..
To be honest, I'm not sure, but I hope they prove us wrong.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005

The climate doesn't fit any outdoor sport. It's a desert.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
And you're saying fuck everyone and all human rights just so you could laugh at europeans? Nice, where do you live btw?

Not to mention that they bid for a SUMMER world cup. If any country would do this no matter where there would be similar reactions. Don't flatter quatar and make it so important that it's arab country or whatever. The lies, the climate, the corruption... this is a bad choice anyway you look at it.
He isn't arguing for Qatar in particular though, just against the unconditional rejection of a winter WC.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005

Excuse me did they not know from the start that it's hot in the desert? Why all the future tech how they will AC the country? Their quite stupid if they didn't knew this from the start. Or...?

- - - Updated - - -

He isn't arguing for Qatar in particular though, just against the unconditional rejection of a winter WC.
Ask him if he wants for this particular WC in qatar to go through.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't be surprised if it were. They (FIFA) don't give a damn. Maybe if new president is elected something might change, but I wouldn't doubt that it will be held there :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)