Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (2 Viewers)

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Sympathetic towards the Slaves in Qatar, homosexuals risking jail, people risking the capital punishment for apostasy.

But hey! Let's flog someone for drinking alcohol.

Marital $#@! a crime? Hell no. This is Qatar afterall.
You are special, Mr. Know It All. Qatar ain't like Saudi Arabia.

Not as much as the US has funded Al Qaeda and Taliban. I mean since we're going down that road, why not lump the US in there as well.

They are participating in the strikes against ISIS now, that makes the US comparison seem even more fitting.

That being said, I'm just trying to point out how silly the comparison between ISIS and Qatar is, not that I would in general defend their foreign policy, or their treatment of south asian blue collar labor and other human rights violations.
Actually this is a worldwide problem. The problem is all the disparities in the world economic system, not just labor markets. Look at Apple for an example.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
You are special, Mr. Know It All. Qatar ain't like Saudi Arabia.
Are you claiming what I wrote isn't correct?

http://www.hrw.org/world-report/2014/country-chapters/qatar

Modern day slavery

Workers typically pay exorbitant recruitment fees and employers regularly take control of their passports when they arrive in Qatar. The kafala (sponsorship) system ties a migrant worker’s legal residence to his or her employer, or sponsor. Migrant workers commonly complain that employers fail to pay their wages on time if at all, but are barred from changing jobs without their sponsoring employer’s consent other than in exceptional cases and with express permission of the Interior Ministry. Adding to their vulnerability, they must obtain an exit visa from their sponsor in order to leave Qatar. Migrant workers are prohibited from unionizing or engaging in strikes, although they make up 99 percent of the private sector workforce.

Many migrant workers live in cramped, unsanitary conditions, especially those working without documentation.

Workers can become undocumented when employers report them as having absconded, or when they fail to pay to renew workers’ annual ID cards. A lack of proper documentation leaves workers at risk of arrest and detention or deportation. It also leaves them at risk of further labor exploitation. Authorities rarely, if ever, bring criminal prosecutions against employers for violating Qatar’s labor or anti-trafficking laws.
- - - Updated - - -

Actually this is a worldwide problem. The problem is all the disparities in the world economic system, not just labor markets. Look at Apple for an example.
Some countries abolished slavery, if you didn't know. Not a worldwide problem, thanks.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Are you claiming what I wrote isn't correct?
Not all.

http://www.hrw.org/world-report/2014/country-chapters/qatar

Modern day slavery

- - - Updated - - -

Some countries abolished slavery, if you didn't know. Not a worldwide problem, thanks.
:disagree:

What do you say about this?

Contemporary slavery, also known as modern slavery, refers to the institutions of slavery that continue to exist in the present day. Estimates of the number of slaves today range from around 21 million[1] to 29 million.[2][3][4][5]

Modern slavery is a multi-billion dollar industry with estimates of up to $35 billion generated annually. The United Nations estimates that roughly 27 to 30 million individuals are currently caught in the slave trade industry.[6] The Global Slavery Index 2013 states that 10 nations account for 76 per cent of the world's enslaved. India has the most slaves of any country, at 14 million (over 1% of the population). China has the second-largest number with 2.9 million slaves, followed by Pakistan with 2.1 million, Nigeria with 701,000, Ethiopia with 651,000, Russia with 516,000, Thailand with 473,000, Congo with 462,000, Myanmar with 384,000, and Bangladesh with 343,000.[7]

Mauritania was the last nation to officially abolish slavery, doing so in 2007; yet 4.3% of the population still remains enslaved.[7][8] Despite being illegal in every nation; slavery is still prevalent in many forms today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_slavery

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Mind telling me what is not correct?

Regarding slavery I was referring to the first and free world's abolishment of slavery and active work towards preventing human trafficking, another thing Qatar excels in. I'll be explicit next time around.

Qatar could afford paying decent wages instead they build by the hand of the slaves while buying an image through International events such as the World Cup.

Luckily, it seems to backfire. No matter how fancy you dress up a turd, it'll still stink and Qatar stinks.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
On the issue of slavery total numbers mean nothing anyway, Qatar is hardly going to compare to those countries, it has 2 million people. Of population percentage only the likes of Haiti and Uzbekistan top it. It is the worst in the region, a bad region at that.

The issue there is complete lack of labour rights for officially and legally employed workers, which is not the same as countries like Russia where slaves are almost exclusively through forced work by illegal immigrants (Uzbek, Tajik) caught between borders.

I'd also say that the correlation between the UN's Global Slavery Index and that of the US State Department's Trafficking In Persons Report is rather too close. The US has a tier system where it economically punishes countries who slip below a certain level...

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
so basically a really rich neighborhood is organizing the world cup and to do so it has to disrupt the sport for the whole world, they sound like fun people
They build stadiums through slave labor and the head architect is called Albert Speer. Oh and yes, he's related :). This whole thing is a nightmare.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I'm actually more bothered about the moving of the schedule than I am about Qatar, but they stem from the same thing - the unsuitability of the country to host football.

Really it could be in Lebanon or Palestine, the geography isn't important, other factors are. For that reason as I said before, I'd go with somewhere like Morocco if there is an obsession with an arab World Cup. But they aren't rich.

I already answered your question quite clearly - yes. The same reason it shouldn't be held in Antarctica, Niger, Siberia, Venus, asteroid 107 Camilla or Iraq. It's not even slightly out of sync so there can be a workaround, like the Sydney Olympics.
So if your climate doesn't fit Europe's schedule, then you're out of luck, that simple?

I find it alarming and extremely obnoxious of you to say that in principle a country whose climate does not fit or cannot adapt to European football schedules should be deemed unfit to host a major football event which represents all continents. The fact that you seem to think its acceptable to have such a standard is what is most alarming.

I mean I don't know you personally, but I'd suggest you go out and travel more, perhaps you'd then learn that there is life outside Europe/the west.

Another more short term solution is, read your post again, think about it, and tell me if you sense any trace of elitism and arrogance in it.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
so basically a really rich neighborhood is organizing the world cup and to do so it has to disrupt the sport for the whole world, they sound like fun people
Would it make a difference if it was a large country, they weren't so rich, and they had a squeaky clean human rights record?

Juvejay doesn't seem to think so, he says that if you're climate doesn't fit Europe's football schedule then no matter what, you aren't fit to host the World Cup. What do you think?

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Would it make a difference if it was a large country, they weren't so rich, and they had a squeaky clean human rights record?

Juvejay doesn't seem to think so, he says that if you're climate doesn't fit Europe's football schedule then no matter what, you aren't fit to host the World Cup. What do you think?
i think that if a country say australia went full disclosure to have it in winter(their summer) and at odd times for euro markets and won no one would complain. With qatar, it was just a bunch of lies from the get go. I dont think a squeaky clean human rights record is necessary, very few have that to begin with.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
i think that if a country say australia went full disclosure to have it in winter(their summer) and at odd times for euro markets and won no one would complain. With qatar, it was just a bunch of lies from the get go. I dont think a squeaky clean human rights record is necessary, very few have that to begin with.

Squeaky clean no. But slave labour is a bridge too far. I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if this World Cup will actually be held in Qatar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)