Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (1 Viewer)

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
I know its difficult, but sooner or later you have to accept that world football doesn't always dance to Europe's tune.
:sergio:

- - - Updated - - -

I just wonder whether Qatar are going to get to the quarter finals or semi finals. Maybe we should open a poll?
Thankfully, they can't do what they did in Handball (tihi), but perhaps FIFA will change the rules when we get closer to 2022, so Qatar can buy a team.

The "guest workers" (slaves to us normal people with a conscience) that survives during the building of the stadiums will fill them up nicely.

Must be a joy watching football on a stadium where a bunch of your co-workers (slaves) and countrymen have died.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It did.

But if Qatar manages to have the WC in the winter, which is what should happen, then obviously it doesn't anymore, at least in this instance.
On a serious note I just don't see how it is going to work logistically or practically. It'll affect three seasons, I presume. We are talking about thousands of matches being moved to a summer with the heat involved (even in the UK, Germany etc it can be very bad for football this time of year), all for the sake of having a tournament of 64 matches in a desert state.

Pure arrogance and greed on the part of FIFA.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
On a serious note I just don't see how it is going to work logistically or practically. It'll affect three seasons, I presume. We are talking about thousands of matches being moved to a summer with the heat involved (even in the UK, Germany etc it can be very bad for football this time of year), all for the sake of having a tournament of 64 matches in a desert state.

Pure arrogance and greed on the part of FIFA.
So you believe countries whose climates do not fit the European football schedule should never be allowed to host a World Cup?

and you talk about arrogance.

I can seriously understand people arguing that Qatar shouldn't host it because of their human right violations, what I will never understand is the obnoxiousness of saying that they shouldn't be allowed to organize the WC because their climate doesn;t fit European Football's schedule.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
So you believe countries whose climates do not fit the European football schedule should never be allowed to host a World Cup?
Yes. The World Cup is played in the European summer. That's not been a problem from the US to Japan, to South Africa and Sweden, yet an unsuitable country with lots of money wants it and voilà, money talks.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Yes. The World Cup is played in the European summer. That's not been a problem from the US to Japan, to South Africa and Sweden, yet an unsuitable country with lots of money wants it and voilà, money talks.
Don't evade the question.

I'm not talking about Qatar in specific here, you may have other legitimate qualms with Qatar as a country hosting the world cup. My question however is more general:
I'll put it simply:

As a general rule: do you believe a country should be excluded from hosting a world cup if its climate does not suit European football's schedule?

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Haters, keep hating as nothing will change.

Sympathetic towards the Slaves in Qatar, homosexuals risking jail, people risking the capital punishment for apostasy.

But hey! Let's flog someone for drinking alcohol.

Marital rape a crime? Hell no. This is Qatar afterall.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Well Qatar have actually funded ISIS and are one of the biggest funders of terrorism.

So it's actually an apt comparison.
Not as much as the US has funded Al Qaeda and Taliban. I mean since we're going down that road, why not lump the US in there as well.

They are participating in the strikes against ISIS now, that makes the US comparison seem even more fitting.

That being said, I'm just trying to point out how silly the comparison between ISIS and Qatar is, not that I would in general defend their foreign policy, or their treatment of south asian blue collar labor and other human rights violations.

Jul 1, 2010
Not as much as the US has funded Al Qaeda and Taliban. I mean since we're going down that road, why not lump the US in there as well.

They are participating in the strikes against ISIS now, that makes the US comparison seem even more fitting.

That being said, I'm just trying to point out how silly the comparison between ISIS and Qatar is, not that I would in general defend their foreign policy, or their treatment of south asian blue collar labor and other human rights violations.
Oh by all means lump the USA in there, I won't disagree :D

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Don't evade the question.

I'm not talking about Qatar in specific here, you may have other legitimate qualms with Qatar as a country hosting the world cup. My question however is more general:
I'll put it simply:

As a general rule: do you believe a country should be excluded from hosting a world cup if its climate does not suit European football's schedule?
I'm actually more bothered about the moving of the schedule than I am about Qatar, but they stem from the same thing - the unsuitability of the country to host football.

Really it could be in Lebanon or Palestine, the geography isn't important, other factors are. For that reason as I said before, I'd go with somewhere like Morocco if there is an obsession with an arab World Cup. But they aren't rich.

I already answered your question quite clearly - yes. The same reason it shouldn't be held in Antarctica, Niger, Siberia, Venus, asteroid 107 Camilla or Iraq. It's not even slightly out of sync so there can be a workaround, like the Sydney Olympics.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009

Who compared them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)