Q & A (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
I think not. Buffon is a fine keeper without doubt, but he is not the leader of the defence and he does not do much more than Chimenti would od in his place. Yes, Gigi is a great shot blocker etc., but our defence doesn't rely on his abilties.

Ahmed_

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++
I think not. Buffon is a fine keeper without doubt, but he is not the leader of the defence and he does not do much more than Chimenti would od in his place. Yes, Gigi is a great shot blocker etc., but our defence doesn't rely on his abilties.
If u saw the matchs against Parma and Lazio you will know that

Juves defence = BUFFON

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ahmed ] ++
If u saw the matchs against Parma and Lazio you will know that

Juves defence = BUFFON
I did see those games, and like I said, Gigi is a fine keeper and played like one in those games. However, our defence would be the same good or bad with or without him IMO.

Nekton

Oct 22, 2001
I did see those games, and like I said, Gigi is a fine keeper and played like one in those games. However, our defence would be the same good or bad with or without him IMO.
true in one sence that Gigi doesn't control the defence that much but not many keepers would do better with the shots that find their way through ;)

He might learn that with age though, we'll see...

Ahmed_

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2002

Buffon is the best GK in the world ....

there are not many goalkeepers that can stop the balls coming from the like of Lopez, Fiore, Mutu, Adriano, Stankovic,....etc in the same way he does..

he is the best:(

next time watch the matches carefuly ;)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ahmed ] ++
Buffon is the best GK in the world ....

there are not many goalkeepers that can stop the balls coming from the like of Lopez, Fiore, Mutu, Adriano, Stankovic,....etc in the same way he does..

he is the best:(

next time watch the matches carefuly ;)
I'm not saying that he is not the best shot stopper in the world. I'm saying that our defence is the same with or without him.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Not really. Buffon is a shotstopper and not a defence-organising kind of keeper. Hence our defence itself would probably remain much the same if he left.

Jul 12, 2002
Erik has summed it up quite correctly. I would add only that our defence has not been as poor as it has been pressed as. And this is probably not due simply to Buffon. Sure, we might have let in more goals without him, but at the same time, he has weaknesses which had they been compensated for we could have let in less goals. It's all conjecture, but I don't think that Buffon makes a big contribution to our defence out side stopping shots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)