Protecting the Defense (4 Viewers)

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
i would rather have Poulsen or/ad Melo than Sissoko,yes he is a cult hero but he gives the ball away more than he wins. for me he is the first one i would cut
anything you like Boswell, I'm just saying that that is an ace group of DMFs, provided we get Krasic and Silva flanking Diego with Dzeko as the prima pu(n)ta :p

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
if(somehow) we managed to get 2 top notch wide men,and sorted out the defense then a 4-2-3-1 would be acceptable and only then do i think we could use a melo-poulsen partnership and allow Diego a free role

unfortunately i don't envisage us getting those platyers,us only buying defenders,having a static,unbalanced team,dependant on Diego being the sole creative force and then spending the next year bitching about the same things

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
if thats the case then the best we can hope for next year is

..........Poulsen................Melo

Candreva.............................JoeVinko
.....................Diego........................

.................em....Amauri?.............

this means we are truly fucked

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
its all part of the plane,field a 2-3-1 every week to save cannavaro and Legrotaglie getting sent off

chiellini and caceras will of course still be injured

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Fullback is the most important position in football and we don't have a single one that is even average.

We play 4-3-2-1 and we have players like Sissoko playing wide at times because our fullbacks can't provide that needed width. Then we are open in the middle because despite us having 3 DMs, they're not actually in the middle of the field.

I don't understand trying to play defensive and trying to play in our side of the field when we have no defence or goalkeeper at the moment. Why not try to play in the other team's side of the field? Today was a perfect example. We try to hold on forever but eventually we will be fucked because we have a senior citizen in net. You can't play like that.

4-2-3-1 is the only logical formation but it's never used.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Fullback is the most important position in football and we don't have a single one that is even average.

We play 4-3-2-1 and we have players like Sissoko playing wide at times because our fullbacks can't provide that needed width. Then we are open in the middle because despite us having 3 DMs, they're not actually in the middle of the field.

I don't understand trying to play defensive and trying to play in our side of the field when we have no defence or goalkeeper at the moment. Why not try to play in the other team's side of the field? Today was a perfect example. We try to hold on forever but eventually we will be fucked because we have a senior citizen in net. You can't play like that.

4-2-3-1 is the only logical formation but it's never used.
Its certainly the most important position if you are going to play 4-3-1-2

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #54
    This is what I'm talking about here. Two one-dimensional DM's out there today and we still gave up several chances once again. It's not like Samp was even that great, yet they still were able to get through and test Chimenti. Cassano should have had a hattrick. What did those two destroyers do to protect the defense? Nothing, especially since one gave the ball away 14 fucking times.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
    Aug 17, 2007
    And they're certainly our weakest positions.

So it makes perfect sense to keep playing the 4-3-1-2 and watching it fail game after game. :sergio:

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
    Aside from it not working defensively in this particular case, having two ball-winning midfielders is a tactic that's rarely used these days. Most top teams now have at least one defensive midfielder who is also capable of distributing the ball. Actually I think that when we had Emerson and Vieira it was already one of the most static central midfields in Europe.

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
    Yeah. Agreed there. One midfielder that can pass the ball is not enough. Its like trying to win a horse race when your horse only has 3 legs.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #59
    Aside from it not working defensively in this particular case, having two ball-winning midfielders is a tactic that's rarely used these days. Most top teams now have at least one defensive midfielder who is also capable of distributing the ball. Actually I think that when we had Emerson and Vieira it was already one of the most static central midfields in Europe.
    No doubt, Mr. Gol.

And welcome back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)