Protecting the Defense (1 Viewer)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #23
    But you have to agree Andy that even with the best possession football tactics or whatever, you still need some good defenders to do the job. Look at the Inter Chelsea game they all what you mentioned and were really compact but look the amount of last ditch tackling they still had to do and compare that with the likes of Grygera against Siena and Melo in the 2nd Fulham goal.
    We certainly need good defenders. And if we had them we'd probably be able to use a couple DM's and play defensive football, doing well in Serie A. But since we don't have quality backs we can't rely on defensive tactics. The team gets sucked in too much and the defense is eventually tested by many opponents.

tibike

Dec 11, 2007
    @tibike:
    but you did read the topic, don't ya ?

it is not the question what we need to succeed, but what to do to protect the defense
    I said it: we need to play with wingers (or wide midfielders, or whatever, simply have someone helping to cover the wings). Three DMs alone cannot protect a weak defense, three players simply cannot cover the whole width of the pitch. And we don't have a fullback like Maicon, who can dominate a flank on his own.

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
    Aug 13, 2004
    Score more than we concede...

Seems like the best solution till the end of this season.

After it ends we need to :

1-decide what tactics are we gonna play
    2-who sill be our coach
    3-buy some new players we need,and sell some unneeded

Until than our main objective must be scoring more than Grygera and the opposite attackers can score in cooperation.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
    and how do we score more than we concede ?

put 3 athletes up front that just run, run and run for 90 minutes ... that will keep their defense busy until we they are so tired that diego can do a few solos and score more than we conceded until then ... actually the type of players that do run much and do offer something for the defense resembles some marchionni style players (god forbid naming nedved, someone like that would be too good to be true)... so by palladino, marchioni and pepe and you got your runners ha ha

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
    Aug 13, 2004
    and how do we score more than we concede ?

put 3 athletes up front that just run, run and run for 90 minutes ... that will keep their defense busy until we they are so tired that diego can do a few solos and score more than we conceded until then ... actually the type of players that do run much and do offer something for the defense resembles some marchionni style players (god forbid naming nedved, someone like that would be too good to be true)... so by palladino, marchioni and pepe and you got your runners ha ha
    Only with some God's help.

But even if we have a solid 3 goals lead we are able to lose it quickly just in 30 mins.
    One of the problems is we can't control the situation,the opponent team score 3 goals while we can't create a single chance.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #29
    Haven't we been using 2/3DM's constantly in our formation for like the past 3 seasons. And it has done a whole load of dick for our team.
    More like ever since Capello took charge. Back then, we even relied on a dipshit in Manuele Blasi to start for us in central midfield.

But well said, it has done dick.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    zebina, grygera, cannavaro, grosso.....they cant be there next season.

as for the midfield, we can play marchisio, melo and sissoko if we needed as long as we have a fit in form del piero, camo or giovinco helping him create, link play, combine passes to create....

what we need is a striker who can do it all and do it all consistently. Pace wouldnt go a stray.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    i would offload all but Melo and Poulsen,and only play one at a time.we really only need two Dm's if we have rampaging wing backs,the fact that our full backs are completely useless(as we have all identified for years) means taht there is no need for someone to drop in and protect the space

if we are going to continue with this nonsense then we need a pirlo-esque type player who can control the game from deep. i do agree with Andy on this,there is little point having 2 DM's who cannot play the ball,especially when we have no creativity from wide

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    a quarter of Poulsen, Melo, Marchisio and Sissoko is world class, no need to mess with it...we just need a fuckin' Coach who can teach them how to do their role and will not keep messing with the formation every week.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
    Aug 17, 2007
    a quarter of Poulsen, Melo, Marchisio and Sissoko is world class, no need to mess with it...we just need a fuckin' Coach who can teach them how to do their role and will not keep messing with the formation every week.
    They're great, but too much of the same. I know they're somewhat different from eachother but none of them can be a registra, which is what we need if we insist on playing 3 infront of defense. If we keep playing 3 out of these for infront of defense we will just keep having the same problems.

We should either switch to having 2 of those infront of the defense or buy someone to play alongside them in a line of 3.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
    Jan 26, 2009
    I think we should switch to 2 in front of the defence, with 3 players supporting a lone striker. We have Gio, Diego, Iaquinta, and even Candreva who can play behind the lone striker. I am omitting Camo from consideration, as he is simply too injury prone, inconsistent, and frankly infuriating at times.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    get rid of sissoko?
    yup,both Poulsen and Melo are better all-round players,Momo is a great guy to break things up,unfortunately he usually is one of the most gulity parties of actually giving teh ball away

i disagree with you on this one Ahmed,for me,if we are going to play with 2 Dm's then one has to eb able to pass the fucking ball and we need width,lots of it,to stretch teams to allow Diego the space to play

They're great, but too much of the same. I know they're somewhat different from eachother but none of them can be a registra, which is what we need if we insist on playing 3 infront of defense. If we keep playing 3 out of these for infront of defense we will just keep having the same problems.

We should either switch to having 2 of those infront of the defense or buy someone to play alongside them in a line of 3.
    Poulsen was immense in a very attacking Sevilla team,melo was immense in Florence,what we need is to either build a team around the engine room in midfield or scrap the 2 holding players,play one of them and keep the other in reserve,but any team with 2 DM's needs width and unless we get 2 marauding full backs and 2 tricky wingers then we do not have the personnel to accommodate them

I think we should switch to 2 in front of the defence, with 3 players supporting a lone striker. We have Gio, Diego, Iaquinta, and even Candreva who can play behind the lone striker. I am omitting Camo from consideration, as he is simply too injury prone, inconsistent, and frankly infuriating at times.
    a 4-2-3-1 is all fina and well but we do not have the players for that formation right now and i doubt we will invest heavily enough to get all teh players we need,especially given they must surely realise now that the backline is dreadful

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    apart from Momo, I think the other 3 can pass the ball around, don't you think? Momo being the certain starter should have one job description, and that is to regain posession...the key, as already pointed out, is the outlet for the 2 DMs...we need quality on the flanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)