Programming (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

Exactly, but most of all I can't plan my code like that, esp if the problem is difficult. In an editor I can copy, paste, move etc. On paper it's a mess and I can't see what's what. :mad:
Yeah, and how stupid do you feel writing comments in your code:

// this function takes a value and blah blah

... it's like...

you're writing code on paper, which should be written on a computer, and in your computer code, you're writing comments, which should be written on paper... man i'm confusing myself...

It's also really stupid when u wanna change function/variable names, and u havta go through and change all the instances :fero:

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I assume you guy have practical exams too? I've always had to do computer hardware/software exams on paper, but also an "in-class assignment."

It's not much fun when your compiler keeps putting a little red box into you code every time you hit back-space, and the network crashes twice.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
I assume you guy have practical exams too? I've always had to do computer hardware/software exams on paper, but also an "in-class assignment."

It's not much fun when your compiler keeps putting a little red box into you code every time you hit back-space, and the network crashes twice.
Nah not practical exams, but we have weekly laboratory tasks that we have to complete... and it's part of our assessment

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Yeah I never had any either but I had a small assignments to demonstrate once or twice. Also had one large assignment last year, we were supposed to present it to 3 teachers and course everything went wrong. It was supposed to store settings in an ini file which had to be copied during installation but the lame security lmitations wouldn't allow the installation process without an admin password which the teacher didn't remember. :wallbang: Then several functions that had been tested 100 times didn't work for some reason.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Yeah I never had any either but I had a small assignments to demonstrate once or twice. Also had one large assignment last year, we were supposed to present it to 3 teachers and course everything went wrong. It was supposed to store settings in an ini file which had to be copied during installation but the lame security lmitations wouldn't allow the installation process without an admin password which the teacher didn't remember. :wallbang: Then several functions that had been tested 100 times didn't work for some reason.
:LOL::howler::LOL: It's funny when the teachers of a computing faculty are so inept. It happened during one of our demonstrations. There was a stub file that we all had to modify, and the teacher walks in and says

"Okay, start a new file in EMACS. Name it "Demo.CPP" and save it."
Students: "It asks if we want to overwrite"
Teacher: "Yes, overwrite the existing file"

See the problem!? :wallbang:

Of course, I'd opened the file already and wasn't stupid enough to replace the stub file with an empty file. Needless to say, hilarity ensued and it took ages before we could continue the exercise. Of course, I started thinking about my solution instead of panicking like 90% of the people (computing students :wallbang:)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)