Preview : Italy vs Finland (1 Viewer)

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #128
    The match ... In the first half we played very well and created some good chances. Totti was on top form, and Vieri just did what we have come to expect of him (score goals), while Delvecchio and Camoranesi both had relatively good games, especially the former. In the second half we definetely took our foot off the accelerator and pretty much defended for ths rest of the match, good to see that Trap gave Miccoli and Corradi a run however.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #129
    Guys, I dunno about you, but right now I'm worried about DP's future in the NT.

With Delvecchio over performing, and Totti and Vieri going strong, it will be very hard for Alex to get a place in the starting XI if Trap continues to play the very effective 4-2-3-1 formation.

What do you guys think about this?

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    I haven't seen the match yet :angel: but I recordered and I will do it now. Actually all the media an press are overenthusiastic particulary on Totti and Vieri but also on all the team... I am very curios about the match, and I will express my comments later.

Trapattoni was so overjoyed he said "finilly this was -my Italia- with this team we will quilify 100%". Maybe cause I was schoked by the past but I still don't trust him... he keep on justify all his past "flops" with referees and with the injurys of some players...
    And than... now that he found "the perfect formation" what will he do? Will he keep it also with stronger teams or will he change every different team we will face?

According to media the way Italy played looked the "Capello style" more than the "Del Bosque one".

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
    About time Totti showed us something. :D He was outstanding. Camoranesi was very good too, never stopped running. He was dead by the end of the game.

Even in his 5 minutes, Miccoli made a couple impressive moves. His speed is awesome. Hopefully he does some of that for Juve soon. :cool:

Anyway, still a long road to qualification.

Holden

Aug 3, 2002
    The first half was great, we caused many problems for the Finns and maybe should've been 4 goals up at half time. I know that Totti is disliked by most at Juventuz.com, but last night he was (along with Vieri) excellent.

The 2nd was a little disappointing, especially considering the 1st half performance but we were never troubled, Cannavaro was outstanding in defence.

As far a the Juve players performances go, I would say all played well with the exception of Birindelli who looks out of his depth, luckly, he wasn't on the field for long. Camoranesi was the best Juventino.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    Indeed the 1st half was much much better than the 2nd. Their tempo dropped a bit and the Finns pressed a bit more. Still looked like they were having the control though IMO.

Totti was excellent! ( :irritate: ) :star: Finally he was in the mood also while wearing the Azzurri shirt. I hope he'll keep up the kind of performance. 1st assist was a great show of dribbling and the 2nd pass a great combination of Camo-Totti-Del V-Totti--->Vieri.

From our players noone did all that spectacular. I don't agree with you Holden that Camo was the best as his passes and everything else was a big mess.

In defence Nesta was a rock!

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    Indeed the 1st half was much much better than the 2nd. Their tempo dropped a bit and the Finns pressed a bit more. Still looked like they were having the control though IMO.

Totti was excellent! ( :irritate: ) :star: Finally he was in the mood also while wearing the Azzurri shirt. I hope he'll keep up the kind of performance. 1st assist was a great show of dribbling and the 2nd pass a great combination of Camo-Totti-Del V-Totti--->Vieri.

From our players noone did all that spectacular. I don't agree with you Holden that Camo was the best as his passes and everything else was a big mess.

In defence Nesta was a rock!
    I agree a bit with Camo as I thought he slowed the game down way too much from Italy's point of view as he tended to hold on to the ball instead of releasing it quickly

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    I ditto everyone's comments regarding the first half, VIERI IS MY HERO !!!!!

The second half was a letdown, and I still have a hard time figuring out WHY Trap has to play Birindelli ?? Are there better defenders in the Italian league that could be picked for the NT ??

Trap's choices of starting Zanetti and Perotta were also questionable. And what about Pirlo and Fiore, IMO they should have started

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    I finilly saw the match!
    Yes as 4 a miracle it was a good Italy!!!
    The second half they slowed down a bit, but thats normal, cause Finland was not looking like able to cause problems so the players probably started thinking of the next serie A match.

Vieri is no dubtly GRATE! He score 1 or 2 goal every match... he's umbelivable! Necessary 4 Italy! Also Totti was grate, his shame was not to be himself at the WC (who is actually the only moment in wich most of the Italian care about the NT) but do not forget that he was not always disappointing in the azzurri schirt, in EURO 2000 he was the best and infact that year he was also in the firsts 4 the golden ball. The defence rocked, also if it have to be said in the other side it was Finland... Zanetti and Perrotta hardly made a mistake, Camo played very well and Del Vecchio also, but I have to say he is the one who worry me in case of facing a good team... he can do good as a winger (he does it also in Roma) but what about when ther's somebody very good in the other side? He is not like Camoranesi who can attack and defend perfectly at the same time...

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #140
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    they should both play, but fiore is better
    I don't think that Camo and Fiore can coexist effectively, and I'm not sure if Fiore is right for the 4-2-3-1 (imo he would be better in a 4-4-2).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)