Premier League 2023-24 (29 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
mitomo still my boy

Yeah Mitoma-kun is great. The only top quality player in that squad, which makes it even more impressive Brighton is just 3 points off Man City.

Top 6 is insanely tight right now, between 1 and 6 its only 3 pt difference lol.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Brighton now have 2 losses and only 5 wins. De Zerbi FRAUD.

But wait since this loss was so large and not 0-1 it actually counts as 5 losses and he has to shave his goatee
Their overall record in all competitions this season is quite a hit or miss kind of game, also on somewhat of a downward spiral lately…

IMG_0583.jpeg

They still Brighton lol, small/midtable side, they done so much giant killing lately we shocked they lost to Chelsea, and hottest non big club in Aston Villa.
Not that i disagree with your point but truth is that they have resources worthy of upper teams this days due to doing well for a few years in a row already in the Premier League and buying/selling smart, got a rather not impressive but well balanced squad without any specific superstars but with a lot of overall quality, for example we are practically less than one Vlahovic valuation/market value away from having the same squad value as them just to put things into perspective.

IMG_0582.jpeg IMG_0581.jpeg

Last edited:

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
What straws are those? FYI I was on board with Allegri last season due to our poor results and pathetic performances.
But I do see a lot of double standards here when it comes to hipster football genius coaches.
De Zerbi is without a doubt a good coach, he proved it in big games both in Serie A and the Premier League that he can raise the level of his squads, quite the ultimate underdog in a sense, but just as well he strikes me as being very stubborn on his vision and ideas of football so much so that in some instances he likely values a ‘beautiful’ attacking performance over getting a positive result which often leaves his teams exposed while being unwilling to change things around when they don’t go their way, and that’s surely adding to the inconsistency of his teams and why for now his mentality is probably better fitted to a regular 5th-7th placed team or at most a Lazio/Roma or best case scenario a present day Chelsea/ManUTD type for a short lived gamble to test his ceiling….

The pressure and expectations around a top team are not easy to manage, even more so for someone who’s never really been part of one, i’d rather let someone else try him out first and allow him to gain experience in such an environment before us even showing any sort of interest in him potentially joining us in the near future.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
De Zerbi is without a doubt a good coach, he proved it in big games both in Serie A and the Premier League that he can raise the level of his squads, quite the ultimate underdog in a sense, but just as well he strikes me as being very stubborn on his vision and ideas of football so much so that in some instances he likely values a ‘beautiful’ attacking performance over getting a positive result which often leaves his teams exposed while being unwilling to change things around when they don’t go their way, and that’s surely adding to the inconsistency of his teams and why for now his mentality is probably better fitted to a regular 5th-7th placed team or at most a Lazio/Roma or best case scenario a present day Chelsea/ManUTD type for a short lived gamble to test his ceiling….

The pressure and expectations around a top team are not easy to manage, even more so for someone who’s never really been part of one, i’d rather let someone else try him out first and allow him to gain experience in such an environment before us even showing any sort of interest in him potentially joining us in the near future.
Big games and league positions too. If we try to get him after a successful stint at United or Chelsea (places where experienced coaches have failed at) he’d be well out of budget. Why would he leave a successful United for Juve?

if he is a system-based manager, plays offensive attractive football and overachieves on a tight budget then he should do really well when he gets top players. And in that scenario Juve would be the wrong profile of club because we don’t have the money for it and our players have been terrorized by Allegri for ages now

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
What straws are those? FYI I was on board with sacking Allegri last season due to our poor results and pathetic performances.
But I do see a lot of double standards here when it comes to hipster football genius coaches.
It's one thing to lose 5-1 and also have a terrible season below expectations and it's another to lose 5-1 and still greatly exceed expectations.

No one here would care if we lost 5-1 to napoli but still won the scudetto or challenged. At least I personally wouldn't.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Big games and league positions too. If we try to get him after a successful stint at United or Chelsea (places where experienced coaches have failed at) he’d be well out of budget. Why would he leave a successful United for Juve?

if he is a system-based manager, plays offensive attractive football and overachieves on a tight budget then he should do really well when he gets top players. And in that scenario Juve would be the wrong profile of club because we don’t have the money for it and our players have been terrorized by Allegri for ages now
There are several different levels of success and the longetivity of a manager is dictated by many factors, with a recent comparison being Sarri whom having won the EL and doing decently well in the league Chelsea still wanted him out along with him being homesick and finding a desperate Juve knocking and ready to pay his release clause…

Another aspect to consider here is that for example with the squad and budget that United has you would realistically expect them to at the very least put up a challenge for the title and go as far as possible in all the other cup competitions, with or without De Zerbi, but let’s just say i wouldn’t be surprised to see many here praising his work and calling him a major success for securing this same ManUTD an early place in the top 4, getting out of the UCL group stages and maybe possibly winning a Carabao Cup in the process, a feet that if it would be repeated at Juventus everyone here would likely be asking for his sack immediately despite having much inferior resources at his disposal, so personally i am not worried about him being unattainable and would still let other big teams gamble on him first, if it’s ever meant to be it will, preferably the later in his career the better.

- - - Updated - - -

It's one thing to lose 5-1 and also have a terrible season below expectations and it's another to lose 5-1 and still greatly exceed expectations.

No one here would care if we lost 5-1 to napoli but still won the scudetto or challenged. At least I personally wouldn't.
Genuine question, if Graham Potter would suddenly be hired back by Brighton tomorrow would you expect them to do any better or worse? Maybe in terms of playing style and certain results some things will differ but i wouldn’t bet against them finishing in just about the same spots.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Their overall record in all competitions this season is quite a hit or miss kind of game, also on somewhat of a downward spiral lately…

IMG_0583.jpeg

Not that i disagree with your point but truth is that they have resources worthy of upper teams this days due to doing well for a few years in a row already in the Premier League and buying/selling smart, got a rather not impressive but well balanced squad without any specific superstars but with a lot of overall quality, for example we are practically less than one Vlahovic valuation/market value away from having the same squad value as them just to put things into perspective.

IMG_0582.jpeg IMG_0581.jpeg

Squad value thing is highly overvalued for all EPL clubs, just for being in the cash heavy league.

There's two high level players with top value I would put in Juve level. Mitoma and Super teen striker Ferguson. Rest are fairly mid level to average. Tho likes of Enciso, Joao Pedro and Estupinan have good potential to improve as players and their value, potential to move to bigger clubs. And Dahoud is German NT player at times.

Rest are underdog players in highly functional system. And regardless of recent form, they still just 3 pts off Man city, 2 off Arsenal, 1 off Pool and Spurs etc.

But this point not just Brighton but anyone else, I can't take squad valuations of EPL teams too seriously due to the insane inflation of them. Aslong as likes of Chelsea and Man U don't know how to negotiate, Brighton squads will be massively overvalued. Unless we genuinely think Cucurella and Caicedo are truly worth combined 215m as players? When their performance level are rotation players.

Last edited:

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Squad value thing is highly overvalued for all EPL clubs, just for being in the cash heavy league.

There's two high level players with top value I would put in Juve level. Mitoma and Super teen striker Ferguson. Rest are fairly mid level to average. Tho likes of Enciso, Joao Pedro and Estupinan have good potential to improve as players and their value, potential to move to bigger clubs. And Dahoud is German NT player at times.

Rest are underdog players in highly functional system. And regardless of recent form, they still just 3 pts off Man U, 2 ofd Arsenal, 1 off Pool and Spurs etc.

But this point not just Brighton but anyone else, I can't take squad valuations of EPL teams too seriously due to the insane inflation of them. Aslong as likes of Chelsea and Man U don't know how to negotiate, Brighton squads will be massively overvalued. Indeed we genuinely think Cucurella and Caicedo are truly worth combined 215m as players? When their performance level are rotation players.
The Premier League is indeed full of inflated values and absurd transfer fee’s between them, impossible to deny such facts, but i also believe that Brighton even for EPL standards are currently well equipped to be a constant feature between 6th to 10th place there under a well balanced manager, especially given how unpredictable and inconsistent everybody else is also.

- - - Updated - - -

Another example that comes to mind is also Conte at Chelsea, who had a stellar first season winning them the Premier League title after they had finished in the bottom half of the table the season before to then end up having an underwhelming second season there which ultimately got him sacked and propelled him to returning to Serie A and joining Inter later on… so point is there are many scenarios that could open up even if De Zerbi initially has a good start/succesful first season at a big team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 18)