Premier League 2019/20 (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Loud, passionate and ridiculously insular to the point of being deluded. Although 16 years in the Championship and League 1 has calmed them down a bit. Paranoid that everything and everyone is out to harm them, which is funny for a club that was lucky to survive being liquidated. If they had been an Italian club they would have had to start again in Serie D, it's as simple as that - the PL/EFL tends to protect the clubs with reputation, they have to save face.

Speaking from personal experience, their travelling fans were always yobs - loud, drunk and obnoxious, always looking for fights (and getting them). This might be seen as a 'standard' of English fans by foreign observers, but there are different levels of it, and it certainly didn't apply to a lot of team's fans. With Leeds it was always huge numbers of morons. They have a thug reputation close to Millwall and West Ham of old, and as such, despite being sportingly irrelevant to many of these clubs, they still have intense rivalries with them. There is also the Lancashire-Yorkshire rivalry with Man Utd, which is originally historical, but more recently stems back to Eric Cantona's signing and the earlier PL battles. In recent times completely irrelevant. Yorkshire people tend to either love or despise them.

Their most famous and successful era of the late 60s into the 70s spawned the "Dirty Leeds" that most opposition clubs and supporters hated because of their brutal style of play. Ironically, many of this stemmed from playing in European matches, including against Juventus, where the dirtier tackling and foul play was picked up on. Over the years the club and fans wore it like a badge of honour, as did some players. More about "Dirty Leeds" and the story behind it here: https://www.planetfootball.com/in-d...-the-self-fulfilling-prophecy-of-dirty-leeds/

They were always big enough and attractive enough that some random owner was going to come in and give them the backing to get back to the PL one day. First they attracted the idiot Cellino, which failed miserably. They haven't really splashed tonnes of cash (or more than any other top end Championship club - one sale to a PL club can bring in an entire window's worth of signings) but Radrizzani's contacts have been important.

They remind me of Newcastle in lots of ways. Clubs with big and stupid local support that have been financially and sportingly mismanaged horribly over the last 20 years. The Geordies will soon be unbearable with their Saudi cash, but that's a different story. At least Leeds have had to do it the right way in the last 10 years.

If I had to do my top 3 of local fans (from the region), based on experience, who have been the most deluded over the last 20 years then it would comfortably be Liverpool, Leeds and Newcastle. Liverpool have gone from an almost laughing stock to probably the best team in the world, Newcastle are about to be taken over by the Saudis, and Leeds are back in the Premier League. Let the show commence.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Loud, passionate and ridiculously insular to the point of being deluded. Although 16 years in the Championship and League 1 has calmed them down a bit. Paranoid that everything and everyone is out to harm them, which is funny for a club that was lucky to survive being liquidated. If they had been an Italian club they would have had to start again in Serie D, it's as simple as that - the PL/EFL tends to protect the clubs with reputation, they have to save face.

Speaking from personal experience, their travelling fans were always yobs - loud, drunk and obnoxious, always looking for fights (and getting them). This might be seen as a 'standard' of English fans by foreign observers, but there are different levels of it, and it certainly didn't apply to a lot of team's fans. With Leeds it was always huge numbers of morons. They have a thug reputation close to Millwall and West Ham of old, and as such, despite being sportingly irrelevant to many of these clubs, they still have intense rivalries with them. There is also the Lancashire-Yorkshire rivalry with Man Utd, which is originally historical, but more recently stems back to Eric Cantona's signing and the earlier PL battles. In recent times completely irrelevant. Yorkshire people tend to either love or despise them.

Their most famous and successful era of the late 60s into the 70s spawned the "Dirty Leeds" that most opposition clubs and supporters hated because of their brutal style of play. Ironically, many of this stemmed from playing in European matches, including against Juventus, where the dirtier tackling and foul play was picked up on. Over the years the club and fans wore it like a badge of honour, as did some players. More about "Dirty Leeds" and the story behind it here: https://www.planetfootball.com/in-d...-the-self-fulfilling-prophecy-of-dirty-leeds/

They were always big enough and attractive enough that some random owner was going to come in and give them the backing to get back to the PL one day. First they attracted the idiot Cellino, which failed miserably. They haven't really splashed tonnes of cash (or more than any other top end Championship club - one sale to a PL club can bring in an entire window's worth of signings) but Radrizzani's contacts have been important.

They remind me of Newcastle in lots of ways. Clubs with big and stupid local support that have been financially and sportingly mismanaged horribly over the last 20 years. The Geordies will soon be unbearable with their Saudi cash, but that's a different story. At least Leeds have had to do it the right way in the last 10 years.

If I had to do my top 3 of local fans (from the region), based on experience, who have been the most deluded over the last 20 years then it would comfortably be Liverpool, Leeds and Newcastle. Liverpool have gone from an almost laughing stock to probably the best team in the world, Newcastle are about to be taken over by the Saudis, and Leeds are back in the Premier League. Let the show commence.
Fully agreed. They still cry and moan of some calls in Bayerns favour in the 1975 final but they tend to ignore that one of their players pretty much ended a Bayern players career in the final with a dirty foul, not to forget they should have recieved a red card for it.

Reading the comment section in the video is pathetic. No wonder they forever stayed in the dirt with that victim mentality. Real top clubs bounce back.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Should have been red card, penalty and goal tbh, but with 10 men the other two probably don't follow.

There were some very dodgy calls in 60s and 70s European games, and I'm almost certain some of it was underhand, but if you're regularly appearing in semi-finals and finals it tended to kind of even out over time. This was Leeds at their historical pinnacle so obviously they are bitter that things didn't go their way so they could have a European Cup in their trophy cabinet.

They're not a top club any more than Nottingham Forest or Derby County are after Clough's management around the same time. But Forest have two EC's in their trophy cabinet and history only really cares about that. As Juventus supporters we have a long list of ifs and buts when it comes to these games.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Should have been red card, penalty and goal tbh, but with 10 men the other two probably don't follow.

There were some very dodgy calls in 60s and 70s European games, and I'm almost certain some of it was underhand, but if you're regularly appearing in semi-finals and finals it tended to kind of even out over time. This was Leeds at their historical pinnacle so obviously they are bitter that things didn't go their way so they could have a European Cup in their trophy cabinet.

They're not a top club any more than Nottingham Forest or Derby County are after Clough's management around the same time. But Forest have two EC's in their trophy cabinet and history only really cares about that. As Juventus supporters we have a long list of ifs and buts when it comes to these games.
what im saying is it's outright pathetic they keep on claiming we bribed the ref when they have absolutely no proof of it. As you say there were many dodgy calls back in the 60's and 70's.

There is even the claims the Soviet linesman in the 1966 WC final gave the ghost goal to the English as he still hated the Germans for Stalingrad.

Last edited:

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Is it already safe to say that Arteta is the new goat in football coaching? Whatever he's doing at Arsenal is praiseworthy. He's become like a second Guardiola but with a more likeable personality.

@Fred, Arteta for the long run?
Just to quote myself and my football vision

Right now leading Pep’s City 1-0 With a team of kids and Aubamayang.

This guy will be huge. I would like a coach like him at Juve one day

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009

Too soon Bro. Let's see where he is a couple of seasons from now. Having said that, I hope our bus driver is watching the final and taking notes, lest we meet City in the QFs, provided we get that far.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019

Ya, they had like 3 chances and Auba scored 2 of them. What a coach, made their team to have 3 chances when the whole game was in Arsenal's end.

Seriously, do people even watch the matches or just open the livescore and checking the result, then making up their image of the certain player/coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)