Player of the Month: Del Piero (2 Viewers)

Juve89

The Farmer
May 27, 2004
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
What the hell is an assist in football, I totally understand what it is in basketball but in football everything is an assist

I play a corner kick to someone but another hits it in, yay , its an assist for me, i take a weak shot and the goalkeeper fumbles it and someone scores, yay its an assist, i pass the ball to my team mate, he does unbelievably well to score the goal, well its an assist

Zlatan has been good, but great?come on. He has had 3 very good matches, and the rest have ranged from average to poor, has no idea how to free himself, has no pace to beat his opponents so off course he is closed down easily

And he has played in every game this season and played 90 minutes in majority of the games so his goals have to be high and so called assist as well

I am too of the opinion that Camo was the best player last month and not sure why Dp got it but of cos he is the most beloved and that usually comes into play and to be fair did score in a lot of the games and many of them winning goals.
Nope he is not like the focal point of the attack as we tend to hoof the ball in the air for Zlatan while Dp has to come in deep and feed of scraps but we still compare him to that brilliant player who thrilled us many years ago and that will always be the cross he has to bear. Competing with his past, only 1 winner I am afraid
I totally agree with u:thuimb:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
@denco- An assist in football? It is obviously the last player to touch the ball before another player puts the ball in the goal. Whether he meant to pass it to the goal scorer or not, it does not matter.

jumbo

Juve all time top scorer
Nov 7, 2004
Did you people know the award is given by the fans and it's 100% their decision? Whether justified or simply the feel like voting for DP, what does it matter? It's not like this thing has any bigger meaning. It's simply the people choosing the player the felt made the best progress or sumthing..

I would've voted for DP too because Camo is performing good week in and week out and everybody knows and appreciates his efforts. He doesn't have to get an award for it every week..

Why does it all matter now... Next month's another contest. Vote people, make a difference. :D

GRK

Guitar God
Oct 19, 2004
++ [ originally posted by DP #1 Fan ] ++
Did you people know the award is given by the fans and it's 100% their decision? Whether justified or simply the feel like voting for DP, what does it matter? It's not like this thing has any bigger meaning. It's simply the people choosing the player the felt made the best progress or sumthing..

I would've voted for DP too because Camo is performing good week in and week out and everybody knows and appreciates his efforts. He doesn't have to get an award for it every week..

Why does it all matter now... Next month's another contest. Vote people, make a difference. :D

Amen to that :D

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #106
    ++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++
    i'm with Andy on this.....we dont hate DP. but please open ur eyes and face the facts. maybe DP was better than Zlatan during Bologna's game, but dont deny that Zlatan has been doing great so far, bar Bologna's match.

Zlatan's performance is better than DP so far this season, at least u ppl cud admit that :groan:
    The Bologna match has been by no means the only game that Zlatan has been sub-par but for whatever reasons no-one remembers when he plays poorly or misses sitters. When it comes to Del Piero however, everyone wants him out of the first team even though his strike rate is better than Ibrahimovic's and he's less selfish. Alex has been just as good as Zlatan so far this season IMO, but in the eyes of many the latter can do no wrong.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

The Bologna match has been by no means the only game that Zlatan has been sub-par but for whatever reasons no-one remembers when he plays poorly or misses sitters. When it comes to Del Piero however, everyone wants him out of the first team even though his strike rate is better than Ibrahimovic's and he's less selfish. Alex has been just as good as Zlatan so far this season IMO, but in the eyes of many the latter can do no wrong.
    No one denying that Zlatan makes a lot of mistakes Stu, but Ibrahimovic has had much more influence in our games. Sure, he might not have as many goals, but you know just as well as I do that without the "assist," there is no goal. Zlatan has contributed many more "assists" than Del Piero and has been much more of a force. Its either Del Piero is involved in the match, or completely invisible. Sorry to say when Del Piero has not scored, its been mostly the latter, except for the Bologna match. Zlatan is certainly not playing up to his potential, neither has Alex, but the former has been the better player thus far.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #110
    Compare how often Ibrahimovic has played to how often Del Piero has and tell me if it isn't obvious why the former has had in your opinion more influence. Zlatan has been less impactful than Alessandro in alot of games so far this season but still DP has been the one replaced by Capello. Don Fabio's favouritism towards Ibra has alot to do with why the Swede is making more of a difference than Del Piero.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I really do not think its favortism on the part of Capello, rather, he fields the player who makes the bigger impact, and subs the player who is struggling to make an impact. Why would Fabio favor one over the other? Is Capello just the opposite of Lippi in this aspect of coaching? Just because Del Piero is more active in the matches does not mean he will make a bigger impact. I don't think you can look too much into this "favoritism" you speak of. Good coaches will play who has the better form, no question. I don't understand why its not easy for some of you to realize Zlatan has played more towards his potential and is more of a force than Alex. Its fairly obvious to me.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
    Compare how often Ibrahimovic has played to how often Del Piero has and tell me if it isn't obvious why the former has had in your opinion more influence. Zlatan has been less impactful than Alessandro in alot of games so far this season but still DP has been the one replaced by Capello. Don Fabio's favouritism towards Ibra has alot to do with why the Swede is making more of a difference than Del Piero.
    Thats right!

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
    I really do not think its favortism on the part of Capello, rather, he fields the player who makes the bigger impact, and subs the player who is struggling to make an impact. Why would Fabio favor one over the other? Is Capello just the opposite of Lippi in this aspect of coaching? Just because Del Piero is more active in the matches does not mean he will make a bigger impact. I don't think you can look too much into this "favoritism" you speak of. Good coaches will play who has the better form, no question. I don't understand why its not easy for some of you to realize Zlatan has played more towards his potential and is more of a force than Alex. Its fairly obvious to me .
    your right, he's more potential lets say, but Alex can give lot better then Zlatan.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by David Del Piero ] ++
    Zlatan and Del Piero on top. 2 different players and they can become a nice pair up front.
    But wad out team lacks is a deadly finisher, and Trez fits the description.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)