Platini : If I Were UEFA President... (6 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Seven said:
Anyway, even I want to return to a knockout system, that's not really the question here. I simply don't agree with the fact Lithuania should have one spot just as Italy. Some countries should get more spots, because they provide better teams, only fair. If you don't think it is, then I welcome you to capitalism.
You dared use "better" one more time. Who defined better in your case?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Let Fiorentina play Skonto ten times and then decide who's the better team. You might think it's all relative, but it's not. In football you're better if you win. Sorry to break that little illusion you had going on there.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Seven said:
Let Fiorentina play Skonto ten times and then decide who's the better team. You might think it's all relative, but it's not. In football you're better if you win. Sorry to break that little illusion you had going on there.
Let Skonto play Fiorentina ten times with fair TV coverage and in the 11th time they will match Liverpool.

Sep 28, 2002
Seven said:
Anyway, even I want to return to a knockout system, that's not really the question here. I simply don't agree with the fact Lithuania should have one spot just as Italy. Some countries should get more spots, because they provide better teams, only fair. If you don't think it is, then I welcome you to capitalism.

whos questioning that? its just that 4 teams is wee bit too much. fuck, i dont even care if lithuania has a team in, i dont support single one of them..

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Fliakis said:
whos questioning that? its just that 4 teams is wee bit too much. fuck, i dont even care if lithuania has a team in, i dont support single one of them..
Oh, but there I agree.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Seven said:
No they won't.
How do you know? Yes no one will because they will never be given the chance because there already "better" teams who have already bought players whose jerseys will be sold.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If the point you're all trying to make is that Italy shouldn't have FOUR spots, then I agree. But I do firmly believe they deserve two. The two spots they conceed can be divided and countries such as Lithuania would in fact stand a better chance.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Seven said:
If the point you're all trying to make is that Italy shouldn't have FOUR spots, then I agree. But I do firmly believe they deserve two. The two spots they conceed can be divided and countries such as Lithuania would in fact stand a better chance.
So you are fine with now with Italy sending only Juve and Milan to the competition and let them play Zaghreb and Skonto? Where Fiorentina and Inter go to play in another competition where they compete with Metz and Liverpool.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Jeeks said:
So you are fine with now with Italy sending only Juve and Milan to the competition and let them play Zaghreb and Skonto? Where Fiorentina and Inter go to play in another competition where they compete with Metz and Liverpool.
Yes, I would agree to that.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Seven said:
Yes, I would agree to that.
This is where there were three different competitions in Europe where champions compete with each other, cup winners compete with each other and other top teams compete with each other and this is what I want back.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Jeeks said:
This is where there were three different competitions in Europe where champions compete with each other, cup winners compete with each other and other top teams compete with each other and this is what I want back.
I think a lot of people would. What we have now is an elitist competition and another one that is really irrelevant. There's nothing in between and that's what hurting European football.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Jeeks said:
:agree:
give some prestige back to the uefa cup ffs.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Seven said:
I think a lot of people would. What we have now is an elitist competition and another one that is really irrelevant. There's nothing in between and that's what hurting European football.
This is what I've been trying to say since page 2.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Jun-hide said:
Well I am not exactly sure as to which exact format the tournament should take but what I do know is that the current way in which teams gather up in Japan for couple of matches isnt plausible. The same goes for basketball as well. Its just not possible that us locals can generate as much passion as the home supporters if the game was played in a 2 leg home-away format.

Fli makes a good point though. Anyway tournament that tries to incorporate as much teams as possible is bound to have problem with the toll travelling takes. But then again, when you see teams like Real, Man U, Bayern, Fiorentina and even Juve (I had a pleasure of seeing Alex doing some timed trickery stuff prepared by the newcasters ditto for Aimar :D ) come to Japan for promotional purposes then one must wonder if they really are concerned about travelling that much if they can get marketing exposure. After all, South American players seem to manage fine in Europe considering the fact that they go back and forth for WC matches. And most teams in Europe nowadays operate on a rotational basis anyway. The matter of fact is if European teams will have far more significant monetary benefits if one can actually arrange both Asian, European and South American teams to play in a competition that actually matters. This will be far more effective than meaningless pre-season matches they come in for and loose for whatever reasons. In case of Real, they sure became a laughing stock for a while. Getting thrased to relegation threatened Verdy was just an icing on the cake.:D

So my conclusion is that teams really dont matter about travelling that much as long as they believe they can get compensated for it. Moreover, I don't really see a significant drop off in quality of games played due to travelling. If anything else, I think Europeans could be surprised by the qualities in the other continents and over time one should actually see a convergence between leagues.

My best idea is that CL place should be somewhat expanded and allocated on the basis of past results achieved by each respective continent in world events. In a similar fashion to the oen currently operated by UEFA, which Erik kindly elucidiated, we can keep in check the balance between quality and diversity. Obviously this means that only one or two teams will get the chance to participate in Asia, Africa and North America, and a few more South American teams. We can even put pit these continents against each other to ensure quality of matches doesnt get degraded too much. The looser of this group get to participate in UEFA Cup. In doing so, I feel we should also limit the maximum number of teams in each nation, especially in Italia, Spain and England, since 4th place teams exactly world-beaters by any means and if teams in South America could get enough revenues to sustain its stars, I actually feel teams like Sao Paulo and Internacional, Boca Juniors will be better than Liverpool, Depor, and Fiorentina. Just look at Sevilla and Villareal - half of their players are from South America and apart from few exceptional ones - I bet there are many of equal perhaps even superior quality that hasnt come to Europe yet.

I am kind of favoring the extension of the current format and probably making some expansion of teams at the preliminary rounds to the other continents based on the international coefficients by each continent. I know FIFA won't allow UEFA to dictate the pace of global tournament moreover if UEFA has desire to do so, but this format is vastly superior to the one that is going to be played in a short time. And I think it is almost undebatable the general value of having world-wide club tournament.
Most of that is plausible and I could support it. I am, however, sceptical towards travelling. I don't think off-season trips lasting two weeks can be compared to playing Milan on Sunday, FC Tokyo on Wednesday and Fiorentina again on Saturday. Be that as it may, calendars are flexible and by reducing the number of matches and competitions I'm sure something could, potentially, be worked out.

That leaves problem #2: the Europeans. I'm going to go ahead and sound like an arrogant little sh*t here, but this is the common sentiment on the Continent: we don't care much about football from anywhere outside Europe. Hell, we barely manage to to scrape together enough enthusiasm to sit through South America's highest quality match of the season. World Club Competition? Most Europeans would be so bored so fast the TV ratings would tumble faster than an amateur snowborder off the Mont Blanc. The majority of Europeans even value the Euros over the World Cup because they absolutely cannot be bothered to sit through Japan versus Australia.

Europe is strange, it's out of this world in many ways. We know each other, we understand each other even if we hate the guts of the idiots on the other side of the border. But there is no way in hell you would ever get a majority of Europeans interested in the competition you suggested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)