Photoshop (1 Viewer)

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
almost everything i know i discovered on my own, by just playing around with it
but it gets really tricky, like you can use series of tools and effects to get some kind of a result , for example someone showed me how to make a perfect lightning not using the brush tools - only applying different effects. and that's just something you can't really discover on you own so you do need the book .......

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I learned by just messing around with all the tools, seeing what works best for what, and as Vicky said there's some effects that can be achieved simply by applying filters and the like. The most dangerous thing about Photoshop though, is deluding people. Apart from the misperception that having a higher Photoshop version makes you better at graphics (I'm most comfortable with version 4), a lot of people also fall into the trap of using cheesy filters like the lighting effects and lens flares :fero:

I think one of the most overlooked set of tools in photoshop are the image adjustments, if you learn to control those, it really helps no matter if you're editing photos or doing digital art

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I'm using 6 right now, and I'm quite comfortable with that now.

I downloaded 8, but I hate it. All of the shortcuts are changed, and apart from that I can't notice much difference

e.g. "Save as" is Alt + F + V, and pressing enter no longer brings up the brushes palette anymore, it changes the opacity, which could be done by typing in the numbers anyway :irritate:

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
Yeah same here. I learned Photoshop due to sheer boredom and insomnia actually. Many a night i used to stay up with nothing to do... so i decided to fire up Photoshop and see what i could do with it.

4 years have passed and i feel like i can do just about any graphical task using Photoshop / Imageready and Illustrator.

I have Photoshop CS but like Gray im used to the shortcuts of the older versions. Im using 7 at the moment and don't plan switching over to CS anytime soon.

As is the case with most things in life, if you know the basic tools, the rest is just making use of the tools in the right way.

PS : Please stay away from 3rd party plugins and all those cheap effects. They look horrible and completely unprofessional.

Heres a quick way to start :

Take any picture you like and then start using each tool and experiment on that picture. You will create a lot of interesting effects.

Contact me by PM and i can help you out further.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Juve89 ] ++
i use photoshop 7,0 and i cant`t read the manual because its lost
"Lost" the manual that came when you "bought" the software eh? ;):p

Read the help file, it should have what u need to get started

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)