Photography (9 Viewers)

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Just ≈ 5 minutes from my place, but stumbled over that view/place for the 1st time. It's up on a little rock formation, friend stayed down lol.

And I love that 12 year old camera together with the cheapo vintage lens :heart:

e10.jpg

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Allowed, yes. But there's a difference between allowing something and groupthink.
It's kind of a bad translation tbh.

You do you/Just do what you want is better.

I don't have a strong feeling towards the dutch angle myself. It's just some style a lot a photographers hate with passion :lol:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think they hate it because enough of it can come off as a gimmick.

As in: "OK photo. Tilt 20° like a villain on the old Batman TV show: great photo."

Reddit: [Batman]'s famous Dutch Tilt angle was only ever used in villains' lairs, as a visual cue that they were "crooked"

I particularly loved this quote:
The Dutch angle always reminds me of this classic line from Ebert's review of Battlefield Earth: "The director, Roger Christian, has learned from better films that directors sometimes tilt their cameras, but he has not learned why."

Last edited:

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
I mean, the don't overdo it goes for pretty much all kinds of styles though.

But yeah, just cause you tilt the camera, a boring shot doesn't magically turn into an interesting one.

I do think it can add to the picture at times though. @Nzoric's pic I think looks better with it.

But if you wanna talk about shit that is truly horrible, it's HDR pictures edited by people who just discovered photo editing software for the very first time.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I agree, I like @Nzoric's photo with the tilt. It would work ok without it, but there it adds something.

Just more fodder for the Dutch tilt discussion.

And 100% agree that HDR overdone is worse than any tilt...

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I agree, I like @Nzoric's photo with the tilt. It would work ok without it, but there it adds something.

Just more fodder for the Dutch tilt discussion.

And 100% agree that HDR overdone is worse than any tilt...
FYI this is the picture pre-edit and without the tilt. The only thing I really had to work with was the guy who walked into the frame as I was taking the picture.

478ce3854539349db961618d529ac1c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)