Penalties (1 Viewer)

Alex

May 1, 2004
I was having this arguement about wether or not penalty shoutouts are the best way to end a match after extra time. Some say that it is unfair and that its a lottery as to who will win. But is shooting not a fundamental skill of the game?

I thought of other ways to find a winner:
- reduce the amount of players after a certain time has elapsed
- play a second leg
- penalties where the goalie can run out and the attacker starts further back and can driblle.

What else could happen? or are penalties the best solution?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
nah.. I think it's better kept as it is..

though a second leg is more interesting, but maybe you'll face the same problem there again..

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
interesting thread,alex:)

i'm not a huge fan of shootouts either,personally.i think playing a second leg is a viable option,but it takes away some of the atmosphere and spoils it for the fans there cos they went to see the winner of say,a cup final and not have to buy another ticket for another matchup a week from then.

any other ideas?

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
My 2 cents.

*A 2nd leg isn't a better option since they could still end up tied.. what then? you'll have to go to somethine else eventually..

* Although i'm no huge fan of changing the game, but I love the shootout idea. that truly is more exciting and requires more skill.
The shootout idea also helps in another way. It encourages/forces the coahces to keep attackers on the field in the last minutes because they'd likely be better in 1-on-1 situations than defenders.

* Ball juggling, skill competition, and possession aren't very clear things that can be calculated. I don't want football to turn into gymnastics or boxing.

* Suddon death corners IMO aren't fair for shorter people/races.

* A coin toss is just pathetic... we're not flipping on whether to get thin-crust or hand-tossed pizza. This is football!

* Reducing the number of players on both teams won't help either since the end of the game is already exausting enough. This just puts more physical strain on the players to cover more area on the field. For health reasons, this is not wise.

* The Total Shots would be kinda wierd, but I could just imagine the score at 1-1 with 5 mins left. Both teams would take shots at goal from the middle of the field just to increase their stats.

I'm all for Shoot-outs... PKs aren't so bad after all.

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
My 2 cents.

*A 2nd leg isn't a better option since they could still end up tied.. what then? you'll have to go to somethine else eventually..

* Although i'm no huge fan of changing the game, but I love the shootout idea. that truly is more exciting and requires more skill.
The shootout idea also helps in another way. It encourages/forces the coahces to keep attackers on the field in the last minutes because they'd likely be better in 1-on-1 situations than defenders.

* Ball juggling, skill competition, and possession aren't very clear things that can be calculated. I don't want football to turn into gymnastics or boxing.

* A coin toss is just pathetic... we're not flipping on whether to get thin-crust or hand-tossed pizza. This is football!

* Reducing the number of players on both teams won't help either since the end of the game is already exausting enough. This just puts more physical strain on the players to cover more area on the field. For health reasons, this is not wise.

* The Total Shots would be kinda wierd, but I could just imagine the score at 1-1 with 5 mins left. Both teams would take shots at goal from the middle of the field just to increase their stats.

I agree 98%..

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
The thing about Penalties is, it can mean that the 'weaker' team can win, so for example if it was say the semi-final of the Champions Leauge match between say Real vs Monaco, and say Man United are already in the final, Monaco could beat Real and end up in the final, which some people say it is good because weaker teams have a chance, but it could also deny people of what could be a great match, instead of what you more likely be a one-sided game.

OP
Alex

Alex

May 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    The problem of penalties is that a weaker team (perhpas recieved a red card of just lack quailty) can sit back defend never take risks and hope to win on penalties.

Still on penalties though:what about making the whole playing 11 have to take a kick and then if its still tied go to the conventional form of pk's

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    My 2 cents.

Yes to all :)

Maybe the penalties are controversial, but nothing better has been invented as far, so leave it as it is.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    I agree with the majority, leave it as it it's...

But what do you think about Blatter, he said that we shouldn't have any ties in football, every match needs to have a winner. So he offered penalty kicks as solution... :yuck::(

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
    Penalties isnt right, you can decide a winner by letting them play all the way until the winning goal is scored.
    Football is a teamsport, thats why its wrong to have everything decided on penalty kicks, which is very much depended on the penalty takers psychological strength.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
    Not every match should have a winner, but some of them must have winners for sure: how do you imagine CL final without a winner? Or any other final?
    exactly, but Blatter suggested that regular league games should end to PKs to if they're drawn after regular time...

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by _Emerson ] ++

i hate blatter
    yeah, me too... The latest one is that they'll probably try penaties (player needs to sit in the penalty-box for a while for minor fouls) in football... :wallbang::(

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

- penalties where the goalie can run out and the attacker starts further back and can driblle.
    MLS tried this for the first couple years the league existed. It was awful. They would wheel a big clock out onto the field and the player would have like 10 seconds or something to dribble on the keeper and score. It was stupid and I think it is actually worse then regualr penaltes. They changed it after two or three seasons.

I realize penalites aren't perfect, but there is a skill to taking a penalty. So I wouldn't say its a crap shoot. Maybe not the ideal way to decide a match, but penalty taking is an important aspect of the sport and both teams know it may be coming at the end. If a team fails to practice penalty taking and/or has players who can't stand up to the pressure, well they ought to realize a big match may be decided against them because of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)