Penalties (1 Viewer)

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by _Emerson ] ++
Penalties isnt right, you can decide a winner by letting them play all the way until the winning goal is scored.
Football is a teamsport, thats why its wrong to have everything decided on penalty kicks, which is very much depended on the penalty takers psychological strength.
CL final in Manchester would still be on :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

CL final in Manchester would still be on :D
LoL, I forgot about that, Juve lost it didnt they...I suppose its funny as I was actually there watching it...(it was my birthday, was meant to be watching United play...damn Deportivo)

Gotta love Dida, he was so far out of his net, he might as well been standing ON the penalty spot!

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Am not in favour of penalties either. But having said that, id still say at least its a better rule than golden goal!

Neway i do think shootouts are the only other option, but that again pans out to the same thing, when you come to think of it, because the striker will be getting in to the D to take his shot, and the goalie will probably come out and trip him while hes in the process of doing so. :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++

LoL, I forgot about that, Juve lost it didnt they...I suppose its funny as I was actually there watching it...(it was my birthday, was meant to be watching United play...damn Deportivo)

Gotta love Dida, he was so far out of his net, he might as well been standing ON the penalty spot!
I broke my lamp after that match. :down:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++

MLS tried this for the first couple years the league existed. It was awful. They would wheel a big clock out onto the field and the player would have like 10 seconds or something to dribble on the keeper and score. It was stupid and I think it is actually worse then regualr penaltes. They changed it after two or three seasons.

I realize penalites aren't perfect, but there is a skill to taking a penalty. So I wouldn't say its a crap shoot. Maybe not the ideal way to decide a match, but penalty taking is an important aspect of the sport and both teams know it may be coming at the end. If a team fails to practice penalty taking and/or has players who can't stand up to the pressure, well they ought to realize a big match may be decided against them because of this.

I'll have to disagree. Could you please explain more why you think shootouts are worse than PKs. you mentioned that it was "stupid" :D ... I can't argue much about that.

You also mentioned that you need "a skill" to taking a penalty and that you need to practice and keep a cool head to take PKs. I don't see how any of these DON't apply to shootouts too. Shootouts have all these things that you talk about.

Shootouts IMO require more skills than just shooting a ball a few yards from the goal. It requires dribbleing, running, speed, control and better players can pull more tricks out of their bags (like lobbing..etc.), not to mention the added skill required by the keeper. It's a true test of being alert and having a quick reaction as you dont know whether the player will lob, shoot, or dribble by. Footballl is a contact sport too. PKs take away that aspect, while shootouts don't.

Also, I think shootouts are better they are less contraversial: There won't be that "did the GK came off the line before the ball was kicked" dillema!

I remember back when it was applied in the MLS. You may not like it as much becaue it may have been sloppy. (Face it, back then, the level of players are nowhere near the top european leagues). I have, and I'm sure you have too, seen the shootouts used in deciding games between serie A teams durring summer friendly mini-cups like the Birra Moretti. The shootouts were actually very exciting to watch. I still remember Miccoli's chip vs Doria last year! brilliant!

Again, I didn't like the begining of the MLS or all the wierd rules that Blatter has thought of, but I do like the idea of deciding a game via shootouts.

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
++ [ originally posted by sehnsucht79 ] ++
what bout italy winning the WC last time. They got through thanks to a toss of coin ;)
It was European Championship not WC, and when you see all the bad luck Italy has had in the modern time, then it is good that the coin was on the right side back then!.

LaPrimaJuve

Sep 27, 2004
WAIT, I think I have the solution....

What if Penalties were taken further back? They should be placed just inside the box outline. That would definetely make it more difficult. Maybe, if this rule is implied, then they should make it a best of 11 shootout, making everyone take a shot!

Does that sound like a better idea?

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
actually when i was assistant reffing games last weekend my friends dad was center because the real center didn't show up, and he had no idea what he was doing. he gave one team a penalty and put the ball on the top of the box, but the girl missed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)