Pele, Maradona and..Zidane? (2 Viewers)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
Ali said:
Personally I rate Zidane above Pele & Maradona. Majed summed it up nicely.

Hey Majed. Good to see you around. :)

Thanks Ali. Good to see you too.

BTW, are you really in Stockholm as your profile suggests?? I am currently in Stockholm! :eek:

Send me a PM if you are.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Hydde

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
  • Thread Starter #42
    mnementh said:
    this I liked to hear ! :D

btw, Del Piero once said that it's not true and in his opinion Argentina had a great squad.

I agree with Alex, but a better example was with napoli. He inspired average players, tunring them into champions, and he did it all alone.

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
    As to the WC's, When we say "lead" I think it's down to statistics. People say Maradona and Baggio led their teams to the final because of their goals. They can talk about their performance but it's surely only the goals in the end. If not goals, then it's assists. I don't think Zidane had those stats in his favour during 98 up to the final, that's what I was talking about. It might not be a fair judgement of players' contribution but that's how it is done....

Natalia

Jan 18, 2006
    for me maradona was and is the only person that was meant to single handedly win argentina the world cup (and i mean that literally and figuratively)!!! he is the greatest

IlDivinCodino

f**king hot prospect
    Mar 5, 2006
    i love this thread.......!!!
    noone is spilling bullshit and everyone has their points!!!
    i mean each person is entitled to their own opinion and its definitely awesome to see constuctive discussions around of such!!!
    so somebody please close the Zlatan's thread coz its boring me already and somebody rep me for this? :p

OP
    Hydde

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
  • Thread Starter #47
    ThePLaya said:
    This is the answer
    Maradona.... well... this thread was to talk about if zizou was worthy of being in the throne with Pele and Diego, but it seems that pele is the one that needs to make place for Zidane lol!..

Now seriously.... IMO Zidane is great, he is something out of this world and a legend........ but Maradona is and always will be (well just time will tell if an alien will come to earth and play football) the best ever.

Sincerely when Maradona was born, i think the gods of football did all they could to do the perfect attacker. Seroiusly, Maradona was gifted in any way you look at his game.

He was a small guy, but he had powerfull legs who let him move at very high speed and do nasty changes of directions that no one else could do. Like any technical player, he received a lot of fouls and nasty tackles but somehow he always or mostr of the time managed to skip the defenders.

He had a nasty shot, accompained with a marvelous accuracy.

His dribbling ability was his best asset. he was just too quick to react on time and counter him. Not just his speed, but he was technically too gifted. You name it, reverse crosses, flip flaps, 360´s back heels, side steps, swerves! Damm...

When u combine a hella fast player, with strong shoot and unmatched cribbling (forget ronaldinho guys).... there ull find the explosive Diego. We will have to wait a lot to see a player with the attributes of him.

nuff said.

OP
    Hydde

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
  • Thread Starter #48
    Grandi Pelé:

Sadly Pelé never played in Europe...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FacJl10rhZc&search=pelé

My fav Pelé move is the one he did in Mexico 70, when he get a thru pass,,,and instead of trying to get the ball and dribble the keeper...he let the ball go on,,,and the keeper lose track of it thinking that pele was going to take it... then Pele do a "8" with the keeper and go for the ball. Sadly dumb Pelé didnt scored that goal.. it was just too much!! xD

Pelé and Diego were very technical players. Zidane can only match those 2 in achievements, but this 2 guys are still in the top i think.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Majed said:
    Thanks Ali. Good to see you too.

BTW, are you really in Stockholm as your profile suggests?? I am currently in Stockholm! :eek:

Send me a PM if you are.
    Yes am in Stockholm :D Check your PM.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    I certainly believe that Zidane is up there. Most of us have seen Zidane in all lights ie brilliant moments & crappy moments. As for Pele & Maradona most have only seen the brilliant bits embellished by hear say.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    YES hydde Zizou deserves to be placed among those 2. I normally put maradona apart as i dont think it fair him being compared to other players. I would actually love to see a video which really showcases the technical skills of Zz and Cruyff to determine who had the better technique
    P.s when we are discussing the best ever, its a nonsense to be mentionig Dp and Nedved, its just crazy.
    And yes Pele deserves to be put there . No he did not play in Europe but really what have Santos done since he left them? 3 world cups, decisive in 2 wins and you question his inclusion?
    Its human nature to greatly overrate our personal idols or players from our countries or clubs but come on Pele is superior to every player to have played the game barring Maradona and Zz imo

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    Azzurri7 said:
    You're actually being harsh here, forget the MLS and these things, Pele won the world cup at the age of 17. There's no way to call Pele a Joke....no way...He's a Legend and we all know that.

Pele's 58, 62 and 70's team was one of the best lineups in football history. It was not a one man team. and by the way Pele did not win the WC in 62, he was injured, the team played without him and still won. He was great but because he was Brazilian and came from humble start, he was considered the poor man's champion. and in america they did a very good job of marketing him as the worlds best without him being the worlds best, just like they do for Real Merda. He's good but doesnt belong in top 5 IMO

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Ali said:
    I certainly believe that Zidane is up there. Most of us have seen Zidane in all lights ie brilliant moments & crappy moments. As for Pele & Maradona most have only seen the brilliant bits embelished by hear say.
    Maradona embellished? Maradona would have completely dominated 1998, 2002 and this wc with the quality I am seeing here. You dont win 2 serieA medals with a team like Napoli if you are embellished and I am talking about the best era of serieA not the avergae one we are seeing right now.
    In his time Inter had at different times players like Rummenigge, Matthaeus, Brehe and Klinsman with Italians like Ferri, Bergomi and co. Milan had the best team on the planet with Donadoni, Maldini, Ancellotti, Baresi, Gullitt, Rikjard and MVB.
    Fiorentina had Diaz, Passarella, Baggio and Antognioni. Roma had Cerezo, Falcao Giannini and Conti. Juve had Laudrup, Schillaci and Italians. Sampdoria had Pagiluca, Cerezo, Dossena, Vialli and mancini.
    Zidane played with players of the calibre of Raul, Ronaldo, Carlos, Dp, Vieri, Davids, Henry, Vieira, Trez, Inzaghi, Deshamps, Montero
    Maradona had alemao, Careca, Fusi, Bagni, Carnevale, Giordano,Burruchaga, Valdano
    which of those 2 would you have preferred to have played with?

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    As time goes by football gets more & more technical. I think it would have been hard for Maradona to completely dominate 98, 02 & 06 as tactics of football have changed from 'let's go for it' to 'let's contain them'. Football has become more cagey & cautious. To do things that Maradona did in his time today would be harder. That is why I feel Zizou deserves the top spot. Not to take away anything from Maradona he did his bit at a time when the players were good but tactics have evolved since then.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Ali said:
    As time goes by football gets more & more technical. I think it would have been hard for Maradona to completely dominate 98, 02 & 06 as tactics of football have changed from 'let's go for it' to 'let's contain them'. Football has become more cagey & cautious. To do things that Maradona did in his time today would be harder. That is why I feel Zizou deserves the top spot. Not to take away anything from Maradona he did his bit at a time when the players were good but tactics have evolved since then.
    Are you serious? Tactics what tactics? You put Maradona against in 98 against South Africa and saudi like France got and he would have demolished them in his prime. Paraguay and Cesare Maldini's tactics would have done nothing to him. Croatia and a Barzil side suffering psychologically from Ronaldo effect, i shudder to think
    I dont even want to go into 2002 as that was poor
    Defenders and tactics were better in serieA in the 80s and 90s compared to what I am seeing now.
    Now way in the 80s would a team as poor as Greece have won the European championship and i dont care how much influence south Korea would have had and Turkey would they have gotten to wc semi finals or that very poor German side in the final. Brazil were not that great either
    Its interesting to see post Maradona , Brazil have emerged as a force reaching 3 finals. I mean now all you have to do is look at a player funny and they book ya. Yoiu go watch the crude methods south korea used to stop him in the first game, one guy held his shirt for like 45 seconds, one rugby tackled him but then you hardly got red cards. Now defenders are afraid to make a tackle, players are feigning injuries to get counterparts sent off.
    I am sorry i dont agree at all with your tactics theory as though the games have gotten more boring with tactics, the so called superstars have not lived up to their huge reps, some of it is tiredness, i grant you that but some of it is the fact that they are overrated in the first place

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    denco said:
    Are you serious? Tactics what tactics? You put Maradona against in 98 against South Africa and saudi like France got and he would have demolished them in his prime. Paraguay and Cesare Maldini's tactics would have done nothing to him. Croatia and a Barzil side suffering psychologically from Ronaldo effect, i shudder to think
    I dont even want to go into 2002 as that was poor
    Defenders and tactics were better in serieA in the 80s and 90s compared to what I am seeing now.
    Now way in the 80s would a team as poor as Greece have won the European championship and i dont care how much influence south Korea would have had and Turkey would they have gotten to wc semi finals or that very poor German side in the final. Brazil were not that great either
    Its interesting to see post Maradona , Brazil have emerged as a force reaching 3 finals. I mean now all you have to do is look at a player funny and they book ya. Yoiu go watch the crude methods south korea used to stop him in the first game, one guy held his shirt for like 45 seconds, one rugby tackled him but then you hardly got red cards. Now defenders are afraid to make a tackle, players are feigning injuries to get counterparts sent off.
    I am sorry i dont agree at all with your tactics theory as though the games have gotten more boring with tactics, the so called superstars have not lived up to their huge reps, some of it is tiredness, i grant you that but some of it is the fact that they are overrated in the first place
    My perception is different. Recently football has become negative in that
    a team would do everything possible to contain a team than to actually play good football. This has caused more defensive play with some teams lining up extreme defensive formations. Granted there are crappy teams in every tournament who are routinely thrashed. I agree with your points regarding fatigue but I firmly believe the era of players getting a chance to do what Maradona or Pele did is over.

OP
    Hydde

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
  • Thread Starter #58
    Ali said:
    a team would do everything possible to contain a team than to actually play good football. This has caused more defensive play with some teams lining up extreme defensive formations. Granted there are crappy teams in every tournament who are routinely thrashed. I agree with your points regarding fatigue but I firmly believe the era of players getting a chance to do what Maradona or Pele did is over.
    Maybe. but as an example, look at the video i posted above........ in that Video u can clearly see the rough tackles Maradona was getting...and he managed to pass all those defenders.

I dont think it would has been much different now.
    Just think about this........... instead of Rikelme, use maradona in the argentina that got recently kicked out.,,,,,,what you think was going to happen?

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Ali said:
    Are you serious? Football is not more negative now its positive. The perceptions of Italina football is of catenaccio which hardly any team plays nowadays. Nowadays the leading goal scorers in the league are strikers, it didn't use to be like that, it was usually midfielders. Now a player like Trez who does not contribute at all aprt from goals can score 22 goals , then the same kind of player in Rush could not manage more than 6. It was strict man to man marking then. Defenders could and used to get away with a lot. Zidane is a fantastic footballer but if you put Zidane in the Argentina86 team, they would have gone nowhere, hell with Zizou in out team under Ancellotti we failed short, with Zizou in Real Madrid and all those players , they have not won anything in 3 seasons. With Zz in 2002 wc , yes unfit, France went out without scoring a goal. With Maradona in 90, not fit, underweight and shins and ankles badly injured, he had to play with painkillers thruout, Argentina still got to the final. I dont' know much about Pele when it comes to 90 minutes as its usually videos and they always show best moments but Maradona was my era and i saw a lot of 90 minutes matches, so i know how great and influential the guy was. If not for his drug problems and perhaps more importantly hand of god against England, noone would argue about who is the greatest but football hasto be sanitised so it helps if Pele is regarded as the greatest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)