Pele, Maradona and..Zidane? (1 Viewer)

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
This is something i have been discussing for years with my pals and people around me who watch football..... and i think this is the best moment to discuss it with you. Being myself a devoted Zidane fan (for the single reason that i started to follow Juve because of him), i would like to hear opinions of people that is not as biased as me.
But even when i have blind faith in his abilities, im a very objective person so i wanna know if my objectivity is failing me now :pumpkin:

Guys from espn were discussing about this some days ago, and they agreed that he deserves to be above the best 10, but no one went that far to touch the holyness of pele and diego.

In my sincere opinion, it hink that Zidane have a curriculum more than acceptable to share the throne with the other football gods.

-The world cup:I think this is a prerequisite to be here, and not just the cup itself but how the player took part in it.
Zidane guided France to the cup with all his magic, he was maybe in the form of his life and he sealed the victory in the final game. To be the hero of a world cup final is something that not everyone can do, and not in the way he stepped there and got it.

-The Euro 2000: Not content with the WC, Zidane and his pals got the Euro too. I know that this france team was pure gold, full of champions but i think that every good player needs good teamates to get things like this

-The CL: One of the reasons of his Juve separation was because he was looking for this elusive trophy. In real madrid...... with an exllating form through the whole tournament....... he stepped on the final game and with a marvelous volley he sealed the victory and got the cup.

-The Scudetto and "La Liga"
-3 european supercups
-2 Intercontinental cup

and not to mention his CL runners up with juventus , the fifa world player of the year and ballon d or awards.

But lets not just only talk about his curriculum.... because there are a some players around that have won everything too, and are not as good as him.

Lets look at his qualities as a player:

Zidane is a player that is different from the others because of the simplicity of his moves and the effectiveness of them. He does really difficult task with such class, that sometimes makes people wonder if he is playing seroiusly or is in a street game.
Definitely his best is how he mamages to find his partners in the field, his visual of the game and how he predicts the other´s movements is outstading.

IN the Dribbling section he is not the most fashioned of the players (a la dinho) but he is definitely skilled and he really knows how to take on enemies and leave them eating the grass. In his golden years in Juve and the early madrid era....he even had some really good pace and did incredible runs out of nothing to create havoc.

Like every good player, Zidane have a gifted shoot, and this is proved in his passes specially, they almost always (no one is perfect) find its destiny.

His ball control skills are one of the best seeing. The way he receive the ball and controls it is phenomenal. Everyone that have looked closely at his career can back me on this.

And the last but not least, a quality definitely required to be a hero, is to be there in the moments the team needs you, and Zidane have been protagonist in the most crucial games of his live.

If Pele had his accuracy and Maradona had his explosive game , i can add that Zidane have his own elegant way to play football, and being effective at the same time.

There have been real champions around the world........ but i really think that Zizou is a player out of this world, not for his curriculum itself but because he is simply above the rest!.

Opinions please.

Buy on AliExpress.com

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
maradona all ther way.it takes all the talent in the world to get your country the world cup almost single handedly,and then take a team from being caught in midtable to be the champions of italy and the champions of europe.

sure,he was self destructive,and he might have achieved more had he not gotten involed in drugs,but imo,maradona has the be the greatest and most influential footballer in history.

there's more than just football attached to him.there's a legacy that can never be parralleled imo.they say that messi is the next maradona,but no,there can only be ONE diego maradona.he is PROBABLY the greatest thing that ever happened to argentina.and im pretty sure that the day he dies,his funeral will be the biggest thing in the world.i frankly cant see zidane or pele having the same effect on a nation the way maradona did.

OP
Hydde

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    axlrose85 said:
    maradona all ther way.it takes all the talent in the world to get your country the world cup almost single handedly,and then take a team from being caught in midtable to be the champions of italy and the champions of europe.

sure,he was self destructive,and he might have achieved more had he not gotten involed in drugs,but imo,maradona has the be the greatest and most influential footballer in history.

there's more than just football attached to him.there's a legacy that can never be parralleled imo.they say that messi is the next maradona,but no,there can only be ONE diego maradona.he is PROBABLY the greatest thing that ever happened to argentina.and im pretty sure that the day he dies,his funeral will be the biggest thing in the world.i frankly cant see zidane or pele having the same effect on a nation the way maradona did.

well, im not saying to pick one of them, what i say is that Zidane needs to be on par with the other 2.

Diego, ill not discuss about him because we all know what he did and his skills were unequaled, (IMO he is by far better than Pele). And his achievement with Napoli is too crazy to just think about it.

Zidane have done the same as him (not in the same way because IMO france´s and madrid teams were superior than ARG and Napoli respectively) but we have to accept that it takes a lot of skill to do what he have done. It takes more than skill really.

NFL16

Nov 28, 2005
    give it some time and zidane will be up there with the other two, he might even lead france to another world cup

OP
    Hydde

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    Well, seomtimes people say that someone needs to die to become legend.

Instead of the word "dying", i would use retirement instead.

JuventusFan

Jul 12, 2002
    I agree with you. Zidane is a player who made a huge impact at every team he played for, and was always sorely missed when he wasn't playing for his team, whether it was Juventus, Real Madrid or France.

And as you pointed out, one of Zidane's best skills is his simple, yet effective game. He's always in the centre of the team, creating chances and leading the midfield.

And to add to that, he's always been influential in the major titles won by the teams he played for, his goals and passes won France the World Cup and Euro. Juve's titles during his spell with the team came through his assists, and no one could forget his legendary goal in the CL final for Real Madrid.

So yes, Zidane is definetly a football legend on par with Maradona and Pele. But people won't aknowledge that until after a few years from his retirement.

IlDivinCodino

f**king hot prospect
    Mar 5, 2006
    Pele is a legend only in papers.........His statistics, his career, his trophies and thats it........
    I've seen his games, there's nothing special about it
    He has awesome team mates in Brazil.......No wonder he can win those world cups
    IMO, the best ever footballers who are TRULY gifted who plays wonderful football are Diego Maradona and George Best.......

And don't worry Hyde, Zidane is one of the best ever and he definitely deserve to be a legend in every aspect
    Like you said, he has won everything there is to be won....
    And football will never be the same again without him

So i say, ROCK ON Zinedine Jazid Zidane!!!
    Play your best and have a glorious retirement in the World Cup!!!

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    Whos Pele? What a joke. Played all his career in Brazil and the MLS in the 70s. If the MLS sucks now what was it 30 years ago?
    Maradona #1 of all time. Close 2nd Zidane
    Others Cruyff, Baggio, Romario

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
    Stripper said:
    Whos Pele? What a joke. Played all his career in Brazil and the MLS in the 70s. If the MLS sucks now what was it 30 years ago?
    Maradona #1 of all time. Close 2nd Zidane
    Others Cruyff, Baggio, Romario
    Actually the American League was of high calibre back in the day & all the top players wanted to play there.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    I would most definatly put Zidane in the same league as Pele and Maradona. He is the greatest player that i have been lucky enough to see!

Every great player has a world cup which they truely stand out in eg Maradona '86 and Zidane has done that in '98 and has been sensational again in '06.

However, of the three my favourite has to be Diego

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
    The club/CL are ok, but not that great. It's obvious he was dependent on great stars, IMO bigger stars, to succeed, like Del Piero , which is why in 1999 Juve sucked. He didn't step up to 3 consecutive european finals. He was really a "loser" before that final in france, a tournament during which he was also redcarded for a couple of matches. Those two headers gave him a new start, which went with the euro 2000 annoying win and that volley.

That all been said, if France wins this WC and he's the main force in these final matches, then yes , he's in the same status. But if not - not.

That's about success. His skills are of course undeniable but not something that the other stars we're familar with can't do.

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
    Hydde said:
    -The CL: One of the reasons of his Juve separation was because he was looking for this elusive trophy. In real madrid......
    what the *** does that mean ? Juve won the CL in 96, he came and didn't win in 97 and 98 (after failing the uefa cup final himself in 95).

And the last but not least, a quality definitely required to be a hero, is to be there in the moments the team needs you, and Zidane have been protagonist in the most crucial games of his live.
    that's just not true and wishful thinking.

So it's safe to say I don't agree.

how is Zidane better than Nedved ? :) Guiding his team (much worse) to two incredible euros (96, 04) and playing incredibly in Juventus, IMO even more beautifully (and winning the ballon d'or too) - better shots, amazing left foot, amazing fighting spirit and technique together. Just an example.

Maybe it's because for me, there's a player who stands above everyone. :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    mnementh said:
    what the *** does that mean ? Juve won the CL in 96, he came and didn't win in 97 and 98 (after failing the uefa cup final himself in 95).

how is Zidane better than Nedved ? :) Guiding his team (much worse) to two incredible euros (96, 04) and playing incredibly in Juventus, IMO even more beautifully (and winning the ballon d'or too) - better shots, amazing left foot, amazing fighting spirit and technique together. Just an example.

Zidane scored two goals in the 1998 WC final and one in the 2002 CL final. How is that not decisive in big games?

IlDivinCodino

f**king hot prospect
    Mar 5, 2006
    mnementh said:
    The club/CL are ok, but not that great. It's obvious he was dependent on great stars, IMO bigger stars, to succeed, like Del Piero , which is why in 1999 Juve sucked. He didn't step up to 3 consecutive european finals. He was really a "loser" before that final in france, a tournament during which he was also redcarded for a couple of matches. Those two headers gave him a new start, which went with the euro 2000 annoying win and that volley.

That all been said, if France wins this WC and he's the main force in these final matches, then yes , he's in the same status. But if not - not.

That's about success. His skills are of course undeniable but not something that the other stars we're familar with can't do.
    mnementh said:

one become a legend when he rises to the occasions........
    when the team is pushed to a corner and is in desperate need of inspiration

A legend is one who can bring up the spirit of the entire team, ignite the flame of each players within and be a true leader.......!!!

If Pele can be a legend for his wonderful career.........I don't see why Zidane cant.
    He has won everything, possibly a bigger achivement than Pele
    Pele had 3 world cups, so what?
    Zidane had won everything that matters........
    and there's a reason why Real Madrid would offer Zidane rather than Nedved
    they ain't stupid
    you just have no idea do you?
    the way Juve had to pressure him in our CL meetings and yet he can exploit our defense in every single way......

Juve of 97 and 98...........
    do you really think he didnt play a part in our journey to the finals?
    football is something weird and unexplainable
    the CL is just not Juve's cup of tea
    Zidane was amazing in those years but it wasn't his fault alone to not win the finals.......
    he was a rising star in those times not nothing!!!
    those days he was rated just like how people rate Fabregas or Torres of today.
    And he made his mark in 98 like Ronaldinho and exploded into a sensation of football history

If Zidane doesnt becomes a legend and is forgotten in the days to come, i'll eat my testicles and hate football forever!!!

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
    Seven said:
    Zidane scored two goals in the 1998 WC final and one in the 2002 CL final. How is that not decisive in big games?
    Of course he's decisive in big games. Some big games. And some he's not. One can't escape the fact that before the 98 WC final, he was deemed as a bit of a loser and a choker in big games after losing in 3 consecutive european finals. Also in WC he was criticized a lot for that foul and people were waiting to see whether he'll finally step up. These are the facts. Of course his carrear took an amazing spin in that sense. You have to be lucky sometimes no doubt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)