Paulo Dybala (145 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie? ***non-official poll***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
this quote is pretty well documented, just posting the 1st search result. mourinho on dybala: we signed him last season because several clubs had doubts about his physical condition

https://onefootball.com/id/berita/m...i-avevano-dubbi-sulle-sue-condizioni-38100597

then he plays 70 minutes and injured again

let's be clear, whether you like his girly face or not, dybala is a player who decides matches and this skill is the most valuable one in football. and there's his availability. do we miss a player like him? absolutely. would he start for jj if he was healthy? he always did, of course he would now. did jj make a mistake when they backed out of the contract negotiations? no, he's not worth 8-10m net in this physical condition. maybe the half of it. and he's earning exactly that at roma.

he's exactly where he should be, for the money he's worth.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Eventhough it’s true, what you said, we replaced him with injury prone 36 year old Di Maria being played out of position only to later be replaced by another injury prone winger Chiesa who’s also being played out by position.

Or sign injury prone Pogba on big wages.

All the money “we saved” still had shit ROI.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
this quote is pretty well documented, just posting the 1st search result. mourinho on dybala: we signed him last season because several clubs had doubts about his physical condition

https://onefootball.com/id/berita/m...i-avevano-dubbi-sulle-sue-condizioni-38100597

then he plays 70 minutes and injured again

let's be clear, whether you like his girly face or not, dybala is a player who decides matches and this skill is the most valuable one in football. and there's his availability. do we miss a player like him? absolutely. would he start for jj if he was healthy? he always did, of course he would now. did jj make a mistake when they backed out of the contract negotiations? no, he's not worth 8-10m net in this physical condition. maybe the half of it. and he's earning exactly that at roma.

he's exactly where he should be, for the money he's worth.

On the whole I'd agree, but there a couple of things I'd like to add.

First, Dybala does bring a couple of intangibles to a club. He's a player who decides games based on skill. There aren't many of those players and those players are the reason why people come to the stadium. A player like that generates revenue. On a sports level I'd say a club the size of Juventus need a gamechanger like Dybala, but a gamechanger who is fit for at least 25 out of 30 games instead of 15. The reality is though that we can't afford that type of player right now and that is evidenced by the replacements we brought in for Dybala.

This is why, even if I don't disagree with you, I would have considered offering Dybala more than what he is getting at Roma now and keeping him on board.

But I will not hide the fact that I have always liked Dybala as a player and that my judgment is hardly impartial.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
This is why, even if I don't disagree with you, I would have considered offering Dybala more than what he is getting at Roma now and keeping him on board.
We did and he rejected it. We offered 7.5m and apparently he wanted 10m. Then he joined Roma for a salary of 4.5m (and allegedly wants to extend for 6m).

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
We did and he rejected it. We offered 7.5m and apparently he wanted 10m. Then he joined Roma for a salary of 4.5m (and allegedly wants to extend for 6m).
Yes, but I believe there was a point in time when there was already contact with Roma and it was clear he would settle for less than 10.

Could be wrong though.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
I think that from 2015 to 2018, Dybala was probably the best player in Italy (although many would argue). The goals he scored in those 3 seasons were legendary and he was our main creative spark too. Having prime Dybala in our team was a key reason for our domestic dominance, I lost count of how many times he made the difference in Serie A.

Tuz would have appreciated Dybala a lot more if we weren't so obsessed with the Champions League around that time, instead of just appreciating what we did have (a great team that won the Scudetto and Coppa every season). Instead everyone was frustrated that we couldn't win the UCL and just vented their anger on whatever scapegoat they could find.

But in the end, playing through a hamstring injury against Lyon in 2020 ruined him for good. He was never the same physically after that, so we did make the right choice by selling him. Where we messed up is that we never truly replaced him (Di Maria doesn't count). Our attack has been so predictable and one-dimensional ever since Dybala declined/left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 112)