Paulo Dybala (318 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie? ***non-official poll***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
max is sugarcoating the situation that Beppe failed at providing a midfielder to feed Dybi so he can play his best position close to the goal instead of having to fetch the ball from our dunce B2Bs
His best positions is playing from deep. He sucks playing closer to goal, he is neither strong or quick enough to play closer. If you add someone like Modric to this team, why would you play Dybala.

Jun 6, 2015
max is sugarcoating the situation that Beppe failed at providing a midfielder to feed Dybi so he can play his best position close to the goal instead of having to fetch the ball from our dunce B2Bs
Yep, Beppe basically dictates who we play and where we play them. Poor Allegri, if only for once he could be in charge of our tactics.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
His best positions is playing from deep. He sucks playing closer to goal, he is neither strong or quick enough to play closer. If you add someone like Modric to this team, why would you play Dybala.
then why his best game this season came the only time he wasn't asked to play deep? besides, he's not strong enough to play from deep, he may shoot freekicks like Del Piero, but he's nowhere near him when it comes to protecting the ball and drawing fouls

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Well I don't think anyone wants him to play as a target man 9 but as a false 9. We all agree that Dybala has to move around the pitch but he can do that as a #9. That's basically what he did vs. Bologna. They had 3 CBs marking no one. We had 7 midfielders and 90% possession. This is the way to use Dybala.

I want him as a false 9 because that means you have a minimum of 5 other midfielders behind him working in possession. So when he drops to collect the ball, we are outnumbering the opposition. So in that scenario, he has more space, more passing options.

When he plays as a CAM, the most players we can put into midfield is 5. So he can be marked.

That 3-5-2 vs. Bologna was perfect because both Ronaldo and Dybala came into midfield. We had 7 players there. You cannot possibly mark Dybala when there are 6 other players to mark (and still he missed half a dozen passes).

There is no reason that Dybala cannot play successfully with Ronaldo. Mandzukic is great in his own right but I don't think his highest level will trump the highest level of a Dybala/Ronaldo partnership.

The key is both Ronaldo/Dybala to stay off the CBs. The CBs will never follow them because they are scared of either of them attacking the space they vacate. We are guaranteed possession. And when you have so much possession, you will inevitably get scenarios where Dybala pops up with the ball in between the midfield and defensive lines. And that is where Max wants him to get the ball.
3-5-2 likely means not just Mandzukic on the bench, but also Costa and Bernadeschi.

Ronaldo-Dybala does not in the slightest trump combinations with 3 or even 4 of those players on the pitch together.

Now... play a 3-4-1-2 or 4-3-1-2 with Bernadeschi behind Dybala and Ronaldo, and there's something I can get behind. Or 4-3-3/3-4-3 with Costa and Ronaldo flanking a false 9 Dybala.

But let's not act like a shit Bologna at home Is a great indicator that 3-5-2 with Ronaldo-Dybala while benching the rest of our attackers is super effective. That would be silly.

Allegri also said last year that Dybala was dropping too deep often and he wanted him playing closer to Higuain. So I'm pretty sure Allegri is aware that Dybala operates better further up the pitch, but he's also best when not so tactically restrained and given more of a free role in attack.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Dybi is deadly infront of goal, he is literally competely wasted in any other position. If he drops further down the pitch it has to be because of some surprise elements, not out of necessity because Can or Khedira or Matuidi are brick-footed sideways passers

I'd rather sell him to get a worldclass CM than watch him gettting squeezed into some Kevin de Bruyne role because we have the best CF in the world and Ronaldo

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
then why his best game this season came the only time he wasn't asked to play deep? besides, he's not strong enough to play from deep, he may shoot freekicks like Del Piero, but he's nowhere near him when it comes to protecting the ball and drawing fouls
you are kidding right? I assume his best game was Bologna game?
So how in the world you can tell with the straight face that he didn't play from the deep there?
He was roaming all around field, often as far as middle line to receive a ball and direct attacking movement.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
you are kidding right? I assume his best game was Bologna game?
So how in the world you can tell with the straight face that he didn't play from the deep there?
He was roaming all around field, often as far as middle line to receive a ball and direct attacking movement.
not really kidding, but yeah, Bologna game. I don't think anyone is suggesting Dybala should be a pure penalty box striker like Inzaghi, but imo he's best when the team is feeding him as the striker and gets him the ball in favorable positions, like David Villa f.e., not when he has to feed the strikers ahead of him and link mid to attack like CAM in 4231 or playing with Mario and CR7 in 433. I guess it just all comes down to how people understand what playing deep means

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
not really kidding, but yeah, Bologna game. I don't think anyone is suggesting Dybala should be a pure penalty box striker like Inzaghi, but imo he's best when the team is feeding him as the striker and gets him the ball in favorable positions, like David Villa f.e., not when he has to feed the strikers ahead of him and link mid to attack like CAM in 4231 or playing with Mario and CR7 in 433. I guess it just all comes down to how people understand what playing deep means
Villa was notoriuous for deep runs from the left side, bad example.
Dybala can't play with his back to the goal, and he should not play that way. Dude is amazing in getting the ball between the lines, face up the goal, create numbers advantage and exploit it. He might the best in the world in it, but no, tuzers want him to play closer to goal, whatever the hell it means.

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
If We know Dybala’s strengths then why isn’t he in that position for him to do so?? Just saying.
Thanks for the 5 memories “Dybi”

............I’ll see myself out.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Dybala can't play with his back to the goal, and he should not play that way. Dude is amazing in getting the ball between the lines, face up the goal, create numbers advantage and exploit it. He might the best in the world in it, but no, tuzers want him to play closer to goal, whatever the hell it means.
you're taking deep and not deep too literally, Villa was notorious for being a deadly finisher and game decider with his goals around and in penalty box as both SS or F9. he may have liked to drop deep, but in no way you could say that he played deep either for Spain, Valencia or Barcelona

I want Dybala to play in a similar position as a striker and not as a CAM, I want to have Paolo to be a finisher of attacks not be lost in an overcrowded central dead zone watching our fullbacks and wingers bomb crosses towards Mario and CR7.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Even Lippi came out today and said that Dybala is much better playing in between the lines as a creator and in more of a free role than as a striker, and I fully agree.

Jun 6, 2015
Agree, Allegri is benching Vidal and Pogba for no reason :agree:
I think you are a bit confused here. It's actually Valverde who is benching Vidal and Mourinho who is benching Pogba. Wouldn't go as far as blaming Allegri for that. Even I have limits.

- - - Updated - - -

you're taking deep and not deep too literally, Villa was notorious for being a deadly finisher and game decider with his goals around and in penalty box as both SS or F9. he may have liked to drop deep, but in no way you could say that he played deep either for Spain, Valencia or Barcelona

I want Dybala to play in a similar position as a striker and not as a CAM, I want to have Paolo to be a finisher of attacks not be lost in an overcrowded central dead zone watching our fullbacks and wingers bomb crosses towards Mario and CR7.
This is so incoherent that I don't even know where to start. How do you not take deep literally? Should we assume it actually means high? Why does it matter if he's on paper marked as CAM or ST if he ends up moving in to the same positions? Also I hope you don't take this too literally, just the right amount of literally would be fine.

Last edited:

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
3-5-2 likely means not just Mandzukic on the bench, but also Costa and Bernadeschi.

Ronaldo-Dybala does not in the slightest trump combinations with 3 or even 4 of those players on the pitch together.

Now... play a 3-4-1-2 or 4-3-1-2 with Bernadeschi behind Dybala and Ronaldo, and there's something I can get behind. Or 4-3-3/3-4-3 with Costa and Ronaldo flanking a false 9 Dybala.

But let's not act like a shit Bologna at home Is a great indicator that 3-5-2 with Ronaldo-Dybala while benching the rest of our attackers is super effective. That would be silly.

Allegri also said last year that Dybala was dropping too deep often and he wanted him playing closer to Higuain. So I'm pretty sure Allegri is aware that Dybala operates better further up the pitch, but he's also best when not so tactically restrained and given more of a free role in attack.
I'm not necessarily advocating the 3-5-2 but moreso a formation where we can get 6 or 7 players in midfield monopolizing possession.

The 3-5-2 defends with only 8 players. So you can come up with a 4-4-2 that does the same and also includes Costa at LM and Bernardeschi at RM.

The most obvious thing to me regarding Dybala is that he cannot operate as a strict CAM where he is expected to always be available between the lines, to take a single touch and spread play. It's not in his DNA. He is not Ozil, Isco, Iniesta, etc.

If Max wants him to move across the pitch then he has to do it as a surplus player in midfield. We need tons of options already existing in midfield so that when Dybala drops, he can collect the ball in peace.

So this is not only accomplished with Dybala playing off the CBs, but also Ronaldo. You can play a 4-4-2 just the same with neither CR7 or Dybala occupying the CBs. The worry is always that the CBs will just follow them into midfield and compress our buildup but I think with CR7 in the team, the CBs are always on their back foot, so we should take advantage of that and play comfortably with 6 or 7 players in midfield.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
I'm not necessarily advocating the 3-5-2 but moreso a formation where we can get 6 or 7 players in midfield monopolizing possession.

The 3-5-2 defends with only 8 players. So you can come up with a 4-4-2 that does the same and also includes Costa at LM and Bernardeschi at RM.

The most obvious thing to me regarding Dybala is that he cannot operate as a strict CAM where he is expected to always be available between the lines, to take a single touch and spread play. It's not in his DNA. He is not Ozil, Isco, Iniesta, etc.

If Max wants him to move across the pitch then he has to do it as a surplus player in midfield. We need tons of options already existing in midfield so that when Dybala drops, he can collect the ball in peace.

So this is not only accomplished with Dybala playing off the CBs, but also Ronaldo. You can play a 4-4-2 just the same with neither CR7 or Dybala occupying the CBs. The worry is always that the CBs will just follow them into midfield and compress our buildup but I think with CR7 in the team, the CBs are always on their back foot, so we should take advantage of that and play comfortably with 6 or 7 players in midfield.
Dybala roamed mostly vertically and towards the right in the 3511 vs Bologna. CR7 roamed mostly horizontally, between the lines and towards the left in a confused state (always looks that way when he plays CF instead of LWF). The two B2B pushed up and positioned themselves between the CB and the FB.

You obviously can't do that with two B2Bs in a 4231 because you don't have enough of them. You don't have an extra CB covering either and neither can either one of the FBs play a more conservative FB role like Evra...or Asamoah in some games.

And we defend in a 442 shape when we play 433 also btw.

Funny seeing some people wanting us play 352 now. Always such change in opinions re formation, players, everything after every single game based on that one game. You're humans with prefrontal cortex, not goldfish with 9 sec memory or excitable puppies.

433 will and should remain the main formation. 4231 will be used when we need to attack and 352 when we need to defend or when there are injuries/need for rest like vs Bologna.

The way 352 (3511) was used against Bologna was nice (but it didn't look good just bc of that, it was also the faster pace and a more balanced team (CR7, MM, Dyb in front 3 doesn't work), both of which we missed vs Frosinone). Took away all reference points after the Frosinone game. But Max has to come up with diff movements with the other formations for parked buses.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if he's talking about traditional 9 or F9. The two are completely different.

Obviously Dybala isn't a classic CF type player.

He was great as a F9 at Palermo. And in that role you roam, drop, create, and attack the box at the end of plays. It's not the more stationary role that gives reference points like traditional 9 role. So, I don't get why Dybala can't play F9.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 293)