Patrice Evra (3 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Evra was very good in his first season here. There is no need to debate that.

Some people just like to remember things differently for whatever reason.
not really, he needed like half a season to get accustomed to wing back role in 352 and never became very good at it, due to his limitations upfront. clearly not better than Licht on the other wing or Assamoah before injuries.

Basel93

Dec 24, 2014
Yes.

We probably shouldn't have.

Not sure what that has to do with it. :confused:

Oh wait, of course. There were only 2 options: relying on Peluso/De Ceglie or relying on Evra.
Such a nuissance when there are just 3 players in the entire world you have to choose between.
Sarcasm buddy. Our options back then were Peluso De Ceglie and ever-injured Asamoah. Evra was on bosman list so we went for him and he improved our LB quality and was a temporary fix until we got our long-term plan, aka Alex Sandro. So it's criminal to suggest that we shouldn't have brought him FOR FREE. Moreover, the experience and leadership he brought with him were also a crucial factor.

Jun 6, 2015
not really, he needed like half a season to get accustomed to wing back role in 352 and never became very good at it, due to his limitations upfront. clearly not better than Licht on the other wing or Assamoah before injuries.
As I said there is no argument to be had, he was really good. We played mostly 4-3-1-2 during that season and he did fit very well in there as our left-back. I'm sure if you want you can go back in this thread to see what most people thought at that time. Had some brilliant games in the CL too having that left flank in lockdown.

- - - Updated - - -

Sarcasm buddy. Our options back then were Peluso De Ceglie and ever-injured Asamoah. Evra was on bosman list so we went for him and he improved our LB quality and was a temporary fix until we got our long-term plan, aka Alex Sandro. So it's criminal to suggest that we shouldn't have brought him FOR FREE. Moreover, the experience and leadership he brought with him were also a crucial factor.
Evra wasn't a bosman, we paid €1,9M for him. Still good value for money that deal was.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Atrocious.

We need to sign a LB in January.
Worst signing since Isla.
Let's just play Padoin and Mattiello until Asamoah comes back.

need a leftback now¬!
This guy clearly needs performance enhancing drugs

Surely Mattiello would have done better in this game because he is much faster. Instead Evra got raped by that Torino RB.

We should start trusting our youth more.
Padoin does a much better job than this guy.

:pado:
this guy is not working
Absolutely horrible. United getting us back for pouncing Pogba from them.
Most useless player on the pitch today
Please Evra follow Lucio's example.
this is end of november/start of december of that season you're refering to. still sure that he was very good that season @il brutto? he became decent soon after, but overall that was an okayish season from Evra at best.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
I agree he wasnt as sharp before january but there were signs come December

Evra had a great game vs Atletico and yet another great today. He's great for possession football ala the first 55 mins today vs Sampdoria.
He did alright !
What? He is much better than Padoin but that doesn't justify buying 33 years olds.
and then towards end of the season we see comments like these.

He took a lot of $#@! when he first came here, but proved to be an astute signing that has been consistent and reliable.
Amazing performance, kept on going and setting the bar, esp for a man of his age and form.
He was brought exactly for such games!
Superb, he has done really well after his blip at the start of the season.
You can see that Evra played tons of matches like this. World class experience.
good match. he's been consistently good since the new year.
he's surprisingly good at headers, won every duel tonight. top performance.
He was great last night.

I don't think he gets as much credit for our performances. Many times he was quite solid and people never mention it. Last night he was great, though, one of our best players surely.
his class and experience really shines in CL matches. you could tell the difference between him and the other inexperienced players.
Top performance, didn't put a foot wrong. Beast!
TBH i think overall he still had a very good if not a great season, because he did it when it most mattered and most of all consistently from december. He was pivotal in our champions league campaign and you have to give him some benefit of doubt for the first couple of months.

For me, he was our best signing that 2014/15 season (alongside morata). It was also massively refreshing to have a solid and reliable left back as the season progressed. I mean put it this way, Evra was the real reason why cronios became a happy man. He got his left back that he had been crying for since calciopoli days. Actually evra made us feel forget about molinaro, de ceglie, peluso etc who we for many seasons reluctantly got accustomed to.

DutchJuventino

Apr 9, 2015
First two seasons he was really good and he is a gem for the dressingroom I think. I will miss Uncle Pat, but maybe it's indeed time to go. Older players will decrease, it's natural and last months he isn't a reliable player anymore. I wish him all the best if he leave.

Great player, great and natural attitude, no arrogance and understand the imporantance of the Juve jersey. He always gave 100% for us.
Example professional!

Grande Pat!

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
TBH i think overall he still had a very good if not a great season, because he did it when it most mattered and most of all consistently from december. He was pivotal in our champions league campaign and you have to give him some benefit of doubt for the first couple of months.

For me, he was our best signing that 2014/15 season alongside morata and that speaks volumes. It was also massively refreshing to have a solid and reliable left back as the season progressed. I mean put it this way, Evra was the real reason why cronios became a happy man. He got his left back that he had been crying for since calciopoli days.
come on, Assamoah for Conte was twice the player Evra was for us, it was frustrating not refreshing to see a downgrade on LWB position. face it, Evra had one good half season for us and Juve has been paying him 3.5m (?) per season, hardly a great signing.

besides, maybe CL or Coppa matters more in March, but Serie A points collected in October are worth just as much

Jun 6, 2015
this is end of november/start of december of that season you're refering to. still sure that he was very good that season @il brutto? he became decent soon after, but overall that was an okayish season from Evra at best.
Yes I'm sure because I remember the games quite well. There will always be hyperbole after some below par performances. on the other hand:

HE WAS IMMENSE!
That was a legendary performance. I doubted him before. My bad
He's a beast and I was wrong about him.
Fantastic match by him, absolutely brilliant.

It's gotta be one of the best signings of this season, it feels so weird to watch him wearing our shirt, but it feels so good with performances like the one he had.
I'm very impressed. He improves by the game and by the importance of the match. Great
He really is a big game player and champion. It's easy to see why Sir Alex kept him as United's starting rightback for so long. Top player.
If I had to pick man of the match yesterday, it's him.
Important in the dressing room, important on the pitch, he's turned out to be worth every penny no matter what happens now.
Our secret weapon in the CL so far. I can see why Man United fans loved him so much. His aerial prowess is amazing for such a little dude

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Yes I'm sure because I remember the games quite well. There will always be hyperbole after some below par performances. on the other hand:
if Quagliarella or more recently Morata scores regularly only on CL nights you can't say that they are having a great season. if Evra shows up for half a season you can't say he had a great/very good season, because first half of the season he tried to settle in, got injured and took some time to regain form and only then started playing well.

Jun 6, 2015
if Quagliarella or more recently Morata scores regularly only on CL nights you can't say that they are having a great season. if Evra shows up for half a season you can't say he had a great/very good season, because first half of the season he tried to settle in, got injured and took some time to regain form and only then started playing well.
Nah, he was simply just a very good signing for us and performed well. No need to try and twist it in any other way.

By your logic Pogba had a bad year last season too and Dybala pretty much has already lost his chance on having a very good season this time out.

The business end of the season is really what matters. The first part of the season is just warmup trying to get everyone settled in and performing.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Nah, he was simply just a very good signing for us and performed well. No need to try and twist it in any other way.

By your logic Pogba had a bad year last season too and Dybala pretty much has already lost his chance on having a very good season this time out.

The business end of the season is really what matters. The first part of the season is just warmup trying to get everyone settled in and performing.
Pogba had an uneven season last year, started out real shit and ended in the form of his life, so I'd say that all in all he had a really good season, just take a look at the numbers.
Dybala is starting slow, but he's hardly been as bad as Evra during his first months with us or Pogba at the start of last season.
last season was really a good example why first part of the season matters too, because we almost lost the title to a non-existant competition, who knows how it could've played out if our rivals weren't such pussies or we wouldn't have won 25 out of 26 games.

Jun 6, 2015
Pogba had an uneven season last year, started out real shit and ended in the form of his life, so I'd say that all in all he had a really good season, just take a look at the numbers.
Dybala is starting slow, but he's hardly been as bad as Evra during his first months with us or Pogba at the start of last season.
last season was really a good example why first part of the season matters too, because we almost lost the title to a non-existant competition, who knows how it could've played out if our rivals weren't such pussies or we wouldn't have won 25 out of 26 games.
Exactly. You can be below par for a part of the season and still have a really good season just like Evra did in 2014/2015.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Exactly. You can be below par for a part of the season and still have a really good season just like Evra did in 2014/2015.
you can, but Evra wasn't. he was a decent left back/wing back in the second part of that season not contributing much in attack and solid in defense. people have been harsh on Licht for his offensive output, but he is twice the player in attack Evra is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)