Parma forced to sell up? (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Parma forced to sell up?
Wednesday 10 December, 2003

Parma could be the next Italian side forced to sell off its top stars after news of Parmalat’s financial problems emerged.

The club is owned by food giants Parmalat, who are also the main sponsors of the Gialloblu, but could be sold off as part of a cost cutting programme.

This week it was confirmed that Parmalat have debts mounting to £350m and must pay off an outstanding bond of £100m within the next five days.

This crisis means that quick cash is needed and some of Parma’s players could be the key to solving the company problems, if not the clubs’.

The Tanzi family has been in charge of Parma for the last fifteen years, taking this tiny club to celebrate a Cup Winners’ Cup, UEFA Cup and European Supercup.

In the last two seasons they have introduced a new cost-cutting system which sees top stars such as Adrian Mutu, Marco Di Vaio, Gianluigi Buffon and Fabio Cannavaro sold off while promising youngsters are built up.

The January transfer window may see Chelsea finally make their bid for Sebastien Frey (pictured), who was up until now expected to move at the end of the season.

Juventus have shown interest in Under-21 international Alberto Gilardino, while Mark Bresciano and Azzurri man Marco Marchionni are also appetising prospects for the big sides around Europe.

However, the summer is likely to see a massive clear-out at the Tardini, much like Lazio’s attempts to prevent holding company Cirio’s collapse in 2002.

In July of last year, the Biancocelesti sold off Hernan Crespo and captain Alessandro Nesta for over £50m.

----------------------

IMO we're getting Gilardino if Treze's injure proves to be serious. We cant rely on Zalayeta, and 3 forwards is just too littl for a serious CL campaign.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    :wallbang:

Completely forgot aboot that.

Anyways, I think we'll get a new strker if Treze's injury is seruos.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    i don't like the idea of getting cup tied players in January. What could happen is that they could become so important to us in the Serie A and suddenly we will be vulnerable in the Champions League without 'em.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    What the damn hell is the meatter with the italian teams,every year we get a new club with serious financial problems.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    our cash cow for producing players may go under...whatever will we do??

i say we clean them out buying ferrari, bonera and gilardino...we wont be winning the CL anyway, so lets make it 3 in a row in italy instead.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    damn! :down:

sad to see a good team like parma go threw this....

The first person they should sell is Nakata! :groan:
    he's been playing like crap, and he gets paid shit-loads of money!

Sep 28, 2002
    we eould not need gilardino, bonera and ferrari right now. but they might be useful in the future so it would be good to snap them before others do. i'm not sure if we need gilardino though. i am much more keen on cavenaghi.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
    What the damn hell is the meatter with the italian teams,every year we get a new club with serious financial problems.
    The roots for it were laid a number of years ago. When the transfer prices crashed, so did the income to counter a lot of Italian clubs expenditure. :down: Bad financial management. The boards are to blame.

I have to say that the idea of a wage cap (as a percentage of the club's turnover) is a good one, which should be implimented. Of course, that doesn't suit everone, so it's hard to push it through, but maybe UEFA can make it a rule for entry into Europe.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++

I think this is endemic of all major leauges Fred...look at Leeds, Rangers...maybe even Arsenal. The next few years are gonna take there toll on a number of big names:down:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

The roots for it were laid a number of years ago. When the transfer prices crashed, so did the income to counter a lot of Italian clubs expenditure. :down: Bad financial management. The boards are to blame.

Too true

I have to say that the idea of a wage cap (as a percentage of the club's turnover) is a good one, which should be implimented. Of course, that doesn't suit everone, so it's hard to push it through, but maybe UEFA can make it a rule for entry into Europe.

Mikhail, the clever clubs would find a way round this...like paying £5 mill for relocation expenses or so on. I like the concept but sadly the money men don't have the same values as you/we:down:

Good idea though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)