Parfum (4 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Is there a cologne that's not too loud? Yet to find one that doesn't stink up the whole room.
There are quite a few of them. You just need to find something that wears close to skin, doesn’t have a lot of sillage.

The high alcohol content of most EDT/EDP sprays often makes for huge sillage, especially initially. Usually parfum extraits are better for this because of lower alcohol content, more oil. And perfume oils are probably best as they stick the skin much better and wear intimately. They also often last longer due to this. And work better for sensitive skin bothered by the high alcohol content of colognes and EDTs.

Lots of small natural perfumers make oils, but they can be pretty hit or miss for quality. For niche brands I really like Serge Lutens Palais Royal Exclusive Collection. Not oils, but dab on extraits low in alcohol.

- - - Updated - - -

@Post Ironic feedbacks man, feedbacks. What did you find and liked recently
Haven't really tried anything new the last couple months... but thanks for the reminder. I should get my hands on some new samples this winter.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Stupid rule, read pi's post carefully about sillage and oil content, with a more expensive fragrance all you need is 2 sprays, so really it ends up being cheaper.
Haven't really tried anything new the last couple months... but thanks for the reminder. I should get my hands on some new samples this winter.
Got my hands on a couple of decants this week. I got Fahrenheit EDP 10ml, Spicebomb extreme 10ml and Terre d'hermes EDT 10ml.

This shit is addictive and quite expensive hobby. I'd easily spend a couple of thousand euros on parfums lol. My dream wish is to get my hands on Creed, Amouage, Jo Malone, Tom Ford, Nasomatto, and Roja.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Got my hands on a couple of decants this week. I got Fahrenheit EDP 10ml, Spicebomb extreme 10ml and Terre d'hermes EDT 10ml.

This shit is addictive and quite expensive hobby. I'd easily spend a couple of thousand euros on parfums lol. My dream wish is to get my hands on Creed, Amouage, Jo Malone, Tom Ford, Nasomatto, and Roja.
Oh trust me i can relate on the addiction part lol i just ordered musc shamal by armani

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Stupid rule, read pi's post carefully about sillage and oil content, with a more expensive fragrance all you need is 2 sprays, so really it ends up being cheaper.
Is there an expiry date on cologne? How long do they typically last?

- - - Updated - - -

And one spray is too loud for me. How many times do you usually spray?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I never had a parfum expire and I had some for years literally. IMO they even become more mature, like wine, and get the depth in their quality.

As for how many sprays I use I'd say it depends on the parfum. Some are strong and there's no need to spray many times. Some are quite weak and you can easily spray 5-10 times. But idk how can one spray be too loud unless it's some beast like projects like crazy and those are usually 300-700e range.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
I never had a parfum expire and I had some for years literally. IMO they even become more mature, like wine, and get the depth in their quality.

As for how many sprays I use I'd say it depends on the parfum. Some are strong and there's no need to spray many times. Some are quite weak and you can easily spray 5-10 times. But idk how can one spray be too loud unless it's some beast like projects like crazy and those are usually 300-700e range.
I heard they expire too, but so far mine seem fine too. Or maybe I can't tell. There's at least no foul, off putting smell. Not sure if there are slight changes.

What are names of some of the weaker ones?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

I have a couple fragrances I love that I cannot use as sprays, because even a single spray makes me feel like I’m swamping an entire room in scent. Have to spray it on a tissue than dab that on the skin to keep the sillage down. Or remove the spray top entirely and apply with a wand. Lol

Amouage Interlude Man is one of these. Histoires de Parfums 1725 is another.

- - - Updated - - -

I heard they expire too, but so far mine seem fine too. Or maybe I can't tell. There's at least no foul, off putting smell. Not sure if there are slight changes.

What are names of some of the weaker ones?
Too much light and heat is usually what makes fragrances expire early. Sunlight is the worst for them. Kind of like wine in that regard. Most fragrances should get last 3-5 years if stored properly. The cheaper stuff usually turns to shit quicker.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I have a couple fragrances I love that I cannot use as sprays, because even a single spray makes me feel like I’m swamping an entire room in scent. Have to spray it on a tissue than dab that on the skin to keep the sillage down. Or remove the spray top entirely and apply with a wand. Lol

Amouage Interlude Man is one of these. Histoires de Parfums 1725 is another.
Ya. Amouage is on a whole different level and Interlude is probably the strongest one. I think that one lasts for like 15 hours which is totally insane. Just like Nasomatto. But yeah, those are quite expensive.

Btw fun facts (not fun at all) we have plenty of parfums in Serbia that are more expensive than the ones in Europe (same ones in Germany are less expensive). Some are even 2x more expensive. It's just insane and sad. Not to mention how some Amouage/Creed are 300e here which is a month salary of many people. Literally.

Apr 9, 2015
I bought these two last wednesday:
Creed - Aventus
Le Labo - Santal 33

13_0269709000300000_pro_flt_frt_01_1108_1528_3046411.jpg

102799970.jpg

My collection now:
e42a3bcb-d6c1-4c67-867f-8b41507a9090.jpg

I have Creed - Silver Mountain Water aswell, but that is by my parents. I live in a student house :p

Collection: (left to right)
Prada - ??
Le Labo - Santal 33
Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male
Trussardi - Uomo
Gucci - Guilty
Creed - Aventus
Creed - Aventus
Parfums De Marly - Herod
Hermes - Terre D'Hermes
Francis Kurkdjian - Amyris
Chanel - Bleu De Chanel
Abercrombie & Fitch - First Instinct
Zara - 9.0
Gucci - Made To Measure
Adidas - Ice Dive
Replay - ??

Creed - Silver Mountain Water @home

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Both are amazing. It's really hard to go wrong with Creed and Santal 33 is great.

Man, your collection is really great. I have no idea how come you have Zara next all those amazing perfumes. Parfums De Marly is such an amazing house, it's incredible. IMO you should chase Layton. MFK Amyris is one of the best buys surely and best name on your list next to Aventus. But you really have great picks out there. Too bad Le Male turned out to be weaker now, I guess it's better to chase Ultra Male.

You should have bought Aventus Cologne instead of x2 Aventus, though.

Apr 9, 2015
Both are amazing. It's really hard to go wrong with Creed and Santal 33 is great.

Man, your collection is really great. I have no idea how come you have Zara next all those amazing perfumes. Parfums De Marly is such an amazing house, it's incredible. IMO you should chase Layton. MFK Amyris is one of the best buys surely and best name on your list next to Aventus. But you really have great picks out there. Too bad Le Male turned out to be weaker now, I guess it's better to chase Ultra Male.

You should have bought Aventus Cologne instead of x2 Aventus, though.
Zara 9.0 is the best bang doe Buck i’ve seen so far. It costs only 10,- euro’s and has a good performance, no joke. I smelled Layton and it was amazing but Herod was the winner for me. The Le Male is so old, ultra male didn’t even exist when i bought it haha. I bought a second bottle Aventus because the house is sold to a commercial company and I am Anxious that they will fuck up Creed. Oh and this is a 19S31 batch, they say the best from 2019.

Thanks for your compliments. If you have an recommandation i am interesses ;)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Zara 9.0 is the best bang doe Buck i’ve seen so far. It costs only 10,- euro’s and has a good performance, no joke. I smelled Layton and it was amazing but Herod was the winner for me. The Le Male is so old, ultra male didn’t even exist when i bought it haha. I bought a second bottle Aventus because the house is sold to a commercial company and I am Anxious that they will fuck up Creed. Oh and this is a 19S31 batch, they say the best from 2019.

Thanks for your compliments. If you have an recommandation i am interesses ;)
I'm not a fan of Zara. In majority of the cases their blends smell quite cheap while performances are for about 2-3 hours. 9 is one of the best ones but I still don't like it. One of the most overrated perfumes from their collection would be Vibrant Leather and while that one has great performances, it literally makes me sick lol.

Creed is quite annoying with their Aventus batches. So many different ones... I know they sold the company but I don't think they will ruin the company. Both brothers are still there managing things.

I think Spicebomb Extreme is a great one, especially for winter. Girls love it and it smells amazing with all the pepper and vanilla. Regular version is also good but I'd still take Extreme over it. Can't really go wrong with this one.

Fahrenheit Le Perfume is one of the best buys imo. One of the best smelling rum fragrances mixed with spices, leather and vanilla. Everyone loves Fahrenheit EDT since it's a classic but I prefer Le Parfume over it. EDT is quite strange and it smells like petroleum.

You're missing out on quite a few Tom Ford perfumes. Black Orchid originally came as a women fragrance but now it's unisex and it makes sense. One of my fav ones from their house, it's a perfect blend imo. Tobacco Vanille is a must have, though. There are many TF fragrances that are worth buying.

Mancera is another house to keep an eye on but I'd advise testing it and not blind buying. For summery weather check out Cedrat Boise and for wintery days check out Red Tobacco. Both have very good performances.

If you like clean smells then surely buy Prada l'homme. It's not a huge aura but more like an office fragrance. Smells like an expensive soap but it's a beautiful fragrance.

When it comes to underground cheaper options I'd recommend Bentley for Men Intense. CH Men Prive is also a good pick, although more expensive.

And I think I'll stop here because otherwise I'll mention another 50 perfumes.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Does anybody have any recommendations for oud fragrances?

I like Tom Ford's Oud Wood but would probably prefer something a bit lighter.

I've heard Versace have a nice one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)