Paolo De Ceglie (6 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I don't really get the abuse De Ceglie has been getting.

We all know he's not any good, but he's been relatively harmless in the games so far.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I don't really get the abuse De Ceglie has been getting.

We all know he's not any good, but he's been relatively harmless in the games so far.
Agreed. He did well yesterday up until his injury. Yet those who watch Sissoko give passes away all games defend him because its "our system".

:howler:

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I actually like PDC, he's one of our own, and I wish he would come good.

Most of the abuse should be directed towards those who made the judgement that Celia could handle starting LB duties. It was pretty clear to most before the season that this was a terrible idea.

Our defense is in shambles, and DC has been very poor in nearly all of our games. He doesn't close his mark down well at all (constantly allows space for crosses), gets caught up field, and he's frequently guilty of ball watching. Yesterday, there were two goals that occurred in part because PDC was nowhere to be found.

He can't take the blame for Melo's penalty - that stupidity rests with Felipe - but Melo was trying to cover for an absent DC. On the second goal, where Manninger made a save and I think another shot was blocked (?), Paolo's just standing around 6 yards off, marking nobody, watching it all go down.

Again, these are guilt by committee type of situations, but he's been pretty damn useless. The sooner we can find a suitable replacement, the better.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
That wasn't De Ceglie's man.

De Ceglie was back at the half way line from the corner and so had to becovering in the centre of the pitch.

The problem was that Juve commited too many players forward/the players who went forward didn't track back fast enough.

If De Ceglie had been marking the player who Melo fouled, Lech would have been able to stroll straight through the middle of the pitch.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
That wasn't De Ceglie's man.

De Ceglie was back at the half way line from the corner and so had to becovering in the centre of the pitch.

The problem was that Juve commited too many players forward/the players who went forward didn't track back fast enough.

If De Ceglie had been marking the player who Melo fouled, Lech would have been able to stroll straight through the middle of the pitch.
You're typically pretty astute with your analysis buddy, you may be right, but I couldn't see who he was initially marking on the highlights.

He would typically be close to half on those plays... but given how quickly they moved up the field on the counter attack, and where I eventually see him in the highlights, I really don't think that his positioning held the other team from breaking up the field...

I found a broken/half highlight of the first goal that showed DC kind of loping back, quite central and very deep in box - marking absolutely nobody. Anyway, he's not exactly in great position.

And on the second goal, he absolutely pulls a stunner and loses his mark who then bangs it into an empty net. Paolo's stops dead, and he's just watching it all go down.

While I try not to go overboard on my criticism of him, that's really only because I want him to succeed. Back in the days of Molinaro, I had myself convinced that Paolo could be our LB of the future... but the bottom line is that he's not been anywhere near good enough. In fact, he's pretty damn mediocre, on his best days.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
De Ceglie joins Juve injury list
Saturday 18 September, 2010
More bad injury news for Juventus, as Paolo De Ceglie is out for two weeks with a minor thigh strain.

The full-back had been a doubt to play in the Europa League on Thursday and limped off during that 3-3 draw with Lech Poznan.

Tests have now shown he suffered a minor thigh strain in his right leg and will be out of action for around a fortnight.

It was particularly bad timing for De Ceglie, who turned 23 on Friday.

Juventus are already without Gianluigi Buffon, Jorge Martinez and Armand Traoré due to fitness problems.

However, Amauri has been taking part in full training and is ready to make his comeback against Udinese on Sunday.

http://www.football-italia.net/sep18a.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)