Panucci slams Azzurri snub (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Panucci slams Azzurri snub
Monday 30 August, 2004

Christian Panucci has admitted that his international career may be over because of boss Marcello Lippi.

The Roma stopper has again been left out by the tactician, who he had his problems with at Inter in the past.

Panucci stated last week that he was ready to make peace with the tactician but he won’t feature in September’s World Cup qualifiers.

"You can see from a mile away that this is a personal choice," the stopper told Sky Italia. "I just hope that Lippi has the honesty to admit it.

"Nevertheless, I’ve played for the national side on more than 50 occasions and I certainly won’t have any sleepless nights about it."

Panucci has been a regular choice at right-back for the last four years but Lippi seems to have other ideas.

He has decided to call-up Lazio’s Massimo Oddo and Daniele Bonera of Parma for the Norway and Moldova games.

One man that is happy with the latest squad is Palermo striker Luca Toni after he was included for the second time.

"It is a great feeling to wear the Azzurri jersey and the fact that we are playing at Palermo is even better," he said.

"We have two very important games coming up and I hope that everything goes well for us."

Toni has been called up to the squad given that Christian Vieri has been left out because of fitness issues.

------------------

Could it possibly be you werent called up because you're shite? :rolleyes:

Buy on AliExpress.com

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
Oh poor Panucci, its not like he has had his chance? ;), bye bye, and welcome to Oddo and Bonera, who is by the way much better too.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Hey lets not discount what panucci has done in that role for the past few years. Hes been pretty good, and i think he deserves a call up. It could well be a personal decision, as we've seen with Lippi in the past.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    So? A coach has a right to make personal decisions. If Panucci gave me shit before I wouldnt call him up either.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Euh..duh of course it's a personal decision, FFS it's Lippi who selects the players isn't it? But I don't see what's wrong with his personal decision.

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
    What has Panucci done? that has made an major impact?.
    Nobody deserves a call up just because of what they have done or because of the name (except Baggio, but he is something special). Im sure it is a personal decision of Lippi, based on former issues with the player, thats how he is, but for once it is a good decision.

Sep 14, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Ferrari^M ] ++

Lippi wouldn't keep him out for personal reasons i think...
    Oh yes he would and he has. ;)

Panucci is the least of our worries at this time anyway, there a certain other players who should be 'retired', whether they like it or not.

Dharurat

Oct 16, 2002
    panucci for me has been consistent for italy, but it is time to give the new blood some playing time, so why does panucci has to be so whiny about it.. A lot of other players are also not being called up, and i don't see them lamenting about it...

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    A coach has a right to make personal decisions. If Panucci gave me shit before I wouldnt call him up either.
    Now see it the other way around. ;)

Imo personal decisions are not justified. Simply because such cases arent judged rationally. Eg. a player is meant to be on a team purely on his talent and skills. Dropping for any other reason is unfair.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    mmm , i really don't like this , i can't be against Lippi's decisions , cuz i know what he's doing... he's brilliant man... but maybe pannuci did somethings in the past.. which doesn't convince Lippi to put him back to the NT ! anyhow i believe in Lippi !

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    If a coach and a player dont get along, 9 times out of 10 it's the players fault. I can uderstand why Lippi wouldnt want him in the team. He doesnt want a player that undermines his authority in fron of the team, or a player he cant be sure will listen and obey his orders. It happens all the time in club management, why not in international management too?

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by _Emerson ] ++
    What has Panucci done? that has made an major impact?.
    Nobody deserves a call up just because of what they have done or because of the name (except Baggio, but he is something special). Im sure it is a personal decision of Lippi, based on former issues with the player, thats how he is, but for once it is a good decision.

it is very hard for rbs to make a huge impact

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    If a coach and a player dont get along, 9 times out of 10 it's the players fault. I can uderstand why Lippi wouldnt want him in the team. He doesnt want a player that undermines his authority in fron of the team, or a player he cant be sure will listen and obey his orders. It happens all the time in club management, why not in international management too?
    I absolutely agree. The coach must have his way because he calls the shot. But considering the good job pannucci has done in the last couple of years, its just a tad unfair to have lost out on a place like this. At the moment, the Azzuri can do with all the help we need and perhaps Lippi should have overlooked personal differences for the good of the team if not anything else. At the end of the day, he knows what hes doing and i sincerely hope this works out well for the Azzuri.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)