Open Office (1 Viewer)

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
Sure. Totally painless, I promise.
Well, since I've just graduated and will spend a year in the army I don't really have need for a this type of thing right now. Still I'll try and check it out sometime I feel motivated.

I'm a bit slow with these things, I switched to Mozilla yesterday. :D

Jan 24, 2004

The EU doesn't think so. They fined them a record amount (something like half a billion) and forced them to ship copies of Windows without their media player, all because of their "market position".

Fair enough, you can't really blame a huge corporation for taking advantage of its position, but it's still wrong - monopolies aren't something we should encourage.
I don't understand why everyone is whining about Microsoft's market power. It wasn't the case that we had a second big bang and suddenly Microsoft appeared on earth to grab everything. There was also a development and "wise" decisions brought Microsoft into the stand which they "abuse" from time to time.
Envy is a waste of time... :)

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #25
    Martin gave a good example before Basti about the instant messaging programs. Microsoft barged into the market, and seized a huge chunk of it just by putting their MSN messanger into all windows packages. People use microsoft's one by default, and it hurt smaller companies. So Microsoft's product becomes the default standard, and no one else can enter the market.

The following comes from http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
    Most computer users use Microsoft Word. That is unfortunate for them, since Word is proprietary software, denying its users the freedom to study, change, copy, and redistribute it. And because Microsoft changes the Word file format with each release, its users are locked into a system that compels them to buy each upgrade whether they want a change or not. They may even find, several years from now, that the Word documents they are writing this year can no longer be read with the version of Word they use then.

But it hurts us, too, when they assume we use Word and send us (or demand that we send them) documents in Word format. Some people publish or post documents in Word format. Some organizations will only accept files in Word format: someone I know was unable to apply for a job because resumes had to be Word files. Even governments sometimes impose Word format on the public, which is truly outrageous.

Jan 7, 2004
    Martin gave a good example before Basti about the instant messaging programs. Microsoft barged into the market, and seized a huge chunk of it just by putting their MSN messanger into all windows packages. People use microsoft's one by default, and it hurt smaller companies. So Microsoft's product becomes the default standard, and no one else can enter the market.

and thats why we should keep giving them fines

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Don, you're embarassing yourself. Really. Microsoft isn't dominating because they have superior products, they dominate because they have the upper hand in the OS market. They use that position to gain an advantage in other markets (browsers, media players, instant messaging), which is illegal btw.

i just saw this and thats what i meant. becoz of advertising they are in everyones head.

i mean i hate it too when people ask me what windows do you have or when i ask people what os do you have and they look at me all funny and then i go :groan: what windows do you have.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #28
    From openoffice.org:

OpenOffice.org project attended the third Evolution Party of Arabeyes.org, which is aimed at fully supporting the Arabic language in the Unix/Linux environment. We had half an hour reserved for introduction of our project, about support for Arabic language, and for questions. We hope that we attracted users of Arabic everywhere to OpenOffice.org.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #29
    Having switched to Linux, I was expeting to have to get used to a load of new software. How nice to find Mozilla and Open Office, looking and feeling exactly as I'm used to. Now, if only SIGames made FM2005 Linux compatable...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)