Official Transfers Thread (2 Viewers)

Jan 1, 2003
Chelsea, Newcastle linked as Milan confirm "English offer" for Nesta
tribalfootball.com - July 4, 2003

AC Milan have confirmed an unidentified Premiership club failed with a massive bid for defender Alessandro Nesta.
Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani revealed: "Yesterday I refused an offer of £35 million for him (Nesta).

"The offer came from an English team. But he is not for sale. We are in the business of building our team, not dismantling it."

New Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has reportedly given manager Claudio Ranieri the green light to move for Nesta.

Newcastle United have also been put forward by the Italian press as possible buyers for the centre-half.

unquote

Seems like the rumor is true as I've read about this in two other sites. SoccerAge said that Abramovich is interested in Nesta and Vieira and is planning to propose a move for Nesta, but I had no idea that they he would offer 35m! I don't know about you, but if I were Galliani, even though Nesta is the best defender in the world, I would have opted for those 35 m pounds and invest half of it on Mexes and Lucio.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
AJAX SIGN STRIKER SONCK

Amsterdam - Dutch gianst Ajax Amsterdam have signed a new striker in person of Wesley Sonck (Racing Genk, Belgium) after selling Ahmed Hossam (Mido) to Olympique Marseille in France.

"We needed another good striker as the attack was the weakest point last season. We really only had Zlatan as striker and often played with midfielders like Van der Vaart up front with lack of other options" - coach Ronald Koeman explains.

Wesley Sonck, Belgian international, has a new contract for five years at the Amsterdam club. The Amsterdammers paid €5 million for the striker in a deal that sees Ajax youngsters Mokoena and Paul Kpaka leave to Genk. The two youngsters from South-Africa were already on loan last season at another Belgian club, FC Antwerp.

"I'm very happy to be here in the Northern Low Countries at such a great club. The culture in the Netherlands is very near to the culture in Belgium and we speak the same language" - Wesley Sonck reacts.

"Football-wise, there are quite some differences though, but I like Ajax's style of play a lot and I think I'll do well here" - he continues.

Sonck is expected to have a starting position at the start of next season, in a partnership with Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Sonck's Racing Genk became champion in 2002, while the striker himself was topscorer of Belgium that season with 35 goals and he won the footballer of the year award.

Thanks to: www.vi.nl
Translated by Erik

------------------------------------------------

YES!!!! THEY GOT HIM!!! I'm so happy! I've always been a fan of his and this is SUCH good news as Ajax desperately needed a striker and then they purchase such a prolific one! Can't wait to watch him play at Ajax next season..! :drool:

Here's a profile of him:
Name: Wesley Sonck
Date of birth: 9 August 1978 (24)
Place of birth: Ninove, Belgium
Nationality: Belgian
Height: 174 cm (5'8")
Weight: 74 kg (163 lbs)
Former clubs: Molenbeek, Antwerp, Racing Genk

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
PSV have bought Michael Jacobsen from B93 Copenhagen in Denmark. Here's a profile:

Name: Michael Jacobsen
Position: central defender
Date of birth: 02 January 1986
Place of birth: Copenhagen, Denmark
Height: 183 cm (6’)
Weight: 80 kg (176 lbs)

Now, PSV claim this kid is the next big thing but I don't know him. Kalle? Can you shed some light on this?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Wow, he's only 16 :eek: Yes, I know it happens almost everywhere nowadays, but it amazes me to think that a kid only three years older than me can be playing professional football :shocked::thumb:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
At least he's still older than you - I'm looking at kids 4 or 5 years younger than me who are already making millions! :wallbang:

Oh I'm such a looser :D

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
True :D Anyways, here are some more official transfers:

- Luciano to Inter (loan)
- Gabriel Milito to Real
- Niclas Jensen to Dortmund
- Hakan Sukur to Galatasary

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Ajax and AS Roma reach principal agreement about transfer Cristian Chivu

Amsterdam, July 08, 2003
Ajax and AS Roma have in principal reached an agreement about the transfer of Cristian Chivu. Ajax sitll await a signed bank guarantee from AS Roma to finalise the deal. As usual, Ajax do not disclose financial details of the agreement.

Ajax's managing director Arie van Eijden revealed that it concerns by far the financially biggest transfer in the club's history. Van Eijden: Let me make one thing very clear: Ajax wanted to continue with Chivu. But Cris himself wanted to go to AS Roma and then you know that in the end you cannot keep him with our club.”
Cristian Chivu leaves for Italy as early as tonight.

Ajax's coach Ronald Koeman regrets the departure of his captain. Koeman: ,,Of course it is a pity that Cris is leaving Ajax, but I think we should not try to stop him now. Cris leaves great memories behind with Ajax. Ajax is working hard at Chivu's succession and I have complete faith in that succession.”

Ajax and AS Roma played each other twice in last year's second round of the UEFA Champions League. Ajax qualified for the quarter finals of the UEFA Champions League at Roma's expense. Partly due to a first-minute goal by Andy van der Meyde the match in Rome's Olympic Stadium ended in 1-1. Ajax had won the home match with 2-1 on December 10 2002.

Cristian Chivu made his debut for Ajax on September 30 1999 in the UEFA Cup match against Dukla Banska Bystrica (3-1 to Ajax). He won the Dutch championship and Cup with Ajax in 2002, won the Johan Cruijff Shield in 2002 and successfully defended 2001's Amsterdam Tournament title a year later.

Chivu was voted Player of the Year by De Telegraaf and Voetbal International in 2002. He was awarded that same title in his home country Romania. Furthermore, many thousands of visitors of UEFA's official web site chose him in the European team of 2002.

Cristian Chivu played 107 league matches for Ajax, in which he scored 13 times. He also wore the Ajax strip in 26 European cup matches, 8 Amstel Cup matches and the match for the Johan Cruijff Shield at the start of last season.

Cristian Chivu has played 28 times for Romania. He has scored twice for his country.

Taken from Ajax's official website

-------------------------------------------------

Some other facts I got from a very reliable sports website in Holland (www.vi.nl):

Roma pays Ajax €18m for Chivu
Ajax is looking to replace Chivu with French defender Julien Escudé from Stade Rennes.

Those damned Romans :fero: Where the hell did they get 18 million is what I want to know ...

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Oh yeah, I have one too:

Chivu to Roma

Yes, you read that right :(
:dazed: F**k it! :( Moggi pipped Roma to Legro and Lucio, but let Chivu, the best of the lot, get away :groan::frown:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Ajax and AS Roma reach principal agreement about transfer Cristian Chivu

Amsterdam, July 08, 2003
Ajax and AS Roma have in principal reached an agreement about the transfer of Cristian Chivu. Ajax sitll await a signed bank guarantee from AS Roma to finalise the deal. As usual, Ajax do not disclose financial details of the agreement.

Ajax's managing director Arie van Eijden revealed that it concerns by far the financially biggest transfer in the club's history. Van Eijden: Let me make one thing very clear: Ajax wanted to continue with Chivu. But Cris himself wanted to go to AS Roma and then you know that in the end you cannot keep him with our club.”
Cristian Chivu leaves for Italy as early as tonight.

Ajax's coach Ronald Koeman regrets the departure of his captain. Koeman: ,,Of course it is a pity that Cris is leaving Ajax, but I think we should not try to stop him now. Cris leaves great memories behind with Ajax. Ajax is working hard at Chivu's succession and I have complete faith in that succession.”

Ajax and AS Roma played each other twice in last year's second round of the UEFA Champions League. Ajax qualified for the quarter finals of the UEFA Champions League at Roma's expense. Partly due to a first-minute goal by Andy van der Meyde the match in Rome's Olympic Stadium ended in 1-1. Ajax had won the home match with 2-1 on December 10 2002.

Cristian Chivu made his debut for Ajax on September 30 1999 in the UEFA Cup match against Dukla Banska Bystrica (3-1 to Ajax). He won the Dutch championship and Cup with Ajax in 2002, won the Johan Cruijff Shield in 2002 and successfully defended 2001's Amsterdam Tournament title a year later.

Chivu was voted Player of the Year by De Telegraaf and Voetbal International in 2002. He was awarded that same title in his home country Romania. Furthermore, many thousands of visitors of UEFA's official web site chose him in the European team of 2002.

Cristian Chivu played 107 league matches for Ajax, in which he scored 13 times. He also wore the Ajax strip in 26 European cup matches, 8 Amstel Cup matches and the match for the Johan Cruijff Shield at the start of last season.

Cristian Chivu has played 28 times for Romania. He has scored twice for his country.

Taken from Ajax's official website

Some other facts I got from a very reliable sports website in Holland (www.vi.nl):

Roma pays Ajax €18m for Chivu
Ajax is looking to replace Chivu with French defender Julien Escudé from Stade Rennes.

Those damned Romans :fero: Where the hell did they get 18 million is what I want to know ...
I don't understand Chivu :confused: Why Roma? :( I thought he would have preferred to stay at Ajax or join one of the elite teams playing in the CL :undecide:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)