Official: Legrottaglie al Bologna (2 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I feel bad for Legro.

However, buyer beware when you purchase a 27 year old defender who only had one good season in Serie A prior to joining Juve.

Or maybe it was the time when I was yelling at him when I went to the Juve practice in Boston 2 summers ago.

Could I have been indirectly responsible for his failures at Juve???

Well, Could I?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++

Here's something else to think about, Majed.

The US, if I remember correctly, is currently ranked 10th in the world.

10th.

For a sport that uses maybe, MAYBE, the fourth or fifth highest level of athlete in this country.

How well do you think Italy, France, England, Portugal, or Brazil would do if they used their 4th or 5th highest levels of athletes in football??

Or, in other terms, how well do you think the US would do if they used their top athletes to play football? Scary tought, isn't it.
Thats what everybody seems to forget Sergio.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Anyway, now I feel somewhat responsible for Legro's failures here at Juve.

I shouldn't have yelled at him in practice. But, I mean, he sucked so bad, what else was I to do???

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well, there's a lot of people who admire me for my keen fashion sense, but that doesn't hide the fact that I'm a prick:D

Edit- FUUUKKKKK, I used that smilie again!!!!!!

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++
Here's something else to think about, Majed.

The US, if I remember correctly, is currently ranked 10th in the world.

10th.

For a sport that uses maybe, MAYBE, the fourth or fifth highest level of athlete in this country.

How well do you think Italy, France, England, Portugal, or Brazil would do if they used their 4th or 5th highest levels of athletes in football??

Or, in other terms, how well do you think the US would do if they used their top athletes to play football? Scary tought, isn't it.
While I agree that the US National team is quite good, and enjoy watching them, it is ridiculous to say that being ranked tenth in the world makes them the tenth best team. Their rank is inflated by the fact that they play in CONCACAF. If the US played in UEFA, they'd never qualify for the WC. As for how well, they'd do if they used their best athlete's for football, that's sort of a moot point. They already use their best athletes for Basketball, and Italy's third best athlete's made them look silly at the Olympics.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

While I agree that the US National team is quite good, and enjoy watching them, it is ridiculous to say that being ranked tenth in the world makes them the tenth best team. Their rank is inflated by the fact that they play in CONCACAF. If the US played in UEFA, they'd never qualify for the WC. As for how well, they'd do if they used their best athlete's for football, that's sort of a moot point. They already use their best athletes for Basketball, and Italy's third best athlete's made them look silly at the Olympics.

Big big difference my friend.

Not to get into this again, however a couple of points need to be brought up here.

#1) The US Basketball team was without Jason Kidd, Shaquille O'Neal, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Jermaine O'Neal, Ray Allen,and Ben Wallace. In other words, 7 of the 12 best basketball players in the US.

#2) Teams like Italy are together all year, and their sole purpose is to train and play together for the benefit of the olympics and the world and european championships. Meanwhile, the US had their team together for a few weeks.

Whatever, what is done is done at this point, the US learned a valuable lesson that the rest of the world is catching up.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Ian, I think the fact that the US NT reached the World Cup Quaterfinal speaks for itself. Forget about the world ranking system, I think we deserve to be there anyway.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Ian, I think the fact that the US NT reached the World Cup Quaterfinal speaks for itself. Forget about the world ranking system, I think we deserve to be there anyway.
Like I said, the world ranking system is inaccurate because it does not take into account the quality of the opposition. The US qualifies for the WC by beating up on the little sisters of the poor, while teams that are just as good (like Norway, Ireland, Austria, etc.) have to play against serious competition.

And I have always said that tournaments are only applicable to themselves. Is Greece the best team in Europe? Probably not, but they did win Euro 04. They had the advantage of more rested players who formed a greater cohesion because they had more time together. The US benefits from the same kind of thing, and they have the added bonus of an easy route to qualification.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Anyway, I wish to claim responsibility for driving Legro out of here by berating him during a practice seesion during his first season here.

LegroFluffers, have your way with me.

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
I am glad we sold him. Total waste of money and points last season :p take care Legro and I hope u become better...

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Mazzone wins over Legrottaglie
Sunday 16 January, 2005

Juve flop Nicola Legrottaglie has confirmed his move to Bologna is entirely down to Coach Carlo Mazzone.

“I want to play football again,” said the defender who is yet to make a single Serie A appearance this season.

“I have to feel that I am useful to a team once more. For that reason, Bologna becomes an important stage of my career, especially as Carlo Mazzone is there.”

Mazzone has made a name for himself by resuscitating the careers of players other clubs had cast aside, such as Beppe Signori and Roberto Baggio.

He now welcomes Legrottaglie, who had pushed his way into the Italy squad during his time at Chievo, but has barely made an impact since completing his move to Juventus in 2003.

There were offers from Premiership sides, including West Bromwich Albion, but he opted for the Rossoblu for a very specific reason.

“If I am moving to the Stadio Dall’Ara,” revealed the Bari-born defender, “it is above all so that I can work with a legend of the game like Mazzone.”

Juventus are cutting down their defence with Mark Iuliano moving to Real Majorca and Igor Tudor also on the scoresheet, fuelling reports they are set to make a big money bid.

Director General Luciano Moggi is already looking ahead to next season and it’s reported that they will snap up Monaco striker Shabani Nonda on a free transfer in the summer so that he can be offered to Roma in exchange for versatile defender Cristian Chivu.

www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)