Official Euro 2008 Qualifier Thread (94 Viewers)

OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #102
    He is not injured, he sucks, he should retire now before complete humiliation, he scores goals if it's given to him, he can't do anything he has no ability whatsoever he's just hogging up a striker spot on Benfica and Portugal NT, i'm so happy Scolari has a brain not to play Nuno Gomes on the first 11, and for that I like him!
    Well, he did. And after the first half, despite his scoring the first goal (on a brilliant assist from João Moutinho, mind you), he was generally a waste of flesh and should have been the first player that Scolari pulled for a sub. Like Huga Almeida would have been a good change-up -- I would have loved to have seen that switch at the half.

Vaz Te isn't the only potential striker we have, Portugal has Yannick Djalo, Ivanildo, and Bruno Gama.
    I like Vaz Té a lot in terms of his size, positioning, and shooting. He's a good post-man in a way that Portugal severely lacks at the adult level. But it was Djaló who impressed me most yesterday -- as a more complete offensive player.

Nice match today though. The first half was dominated, but the finishing absolutely sucked (as expected) and Portugal was pitiful at feeding the ball at the top of the box.

Ultimately, it was a lot of youth that really cranked this one out. Quaresma was excellent from the get-go. Took a shot a couple times when he should have crossed, but many of his crosses, his ball control and movement, etc., were excellent. He probably could have scored on the goal Ronaldo nodded in, and his patented off-the-outside-of-his-foot goal had "YouTube" written all over it -- I expect the URL for that to be passed around for a while.

João Moutinho had an excellent match, IMO. With Deco out, he really needed to step up -- and I was glad to see Scolari start him instead of Hugo Viana. He showed great ball instincts and a lot of one-touch passes in just the right place. And the first goal was ultimately his -- he brilliantly made a great stop, sent the ball the other way, and then completed the triangle with a perfect pass to Gomes -- who had no choice but to score on that one. Either he or Quaresma get my MOM vote.

Ronaldo played generally well. But Tiago suprised me. Played his best match in an NT uniform today as far as I'm concerned. Nani was very effective as a sub -- as he was earlier in the season.

peckface

approaching curve
    Oct 3, 2004
    Great game between Spain and Denmark. Denmark´s mentality is damn impressive, not one thought of giving up despite being reduced to 10 men after 20 minutes and being down by 2 goals at the break. Jensen is all to blame for this game.

Whats the Danish manager´s name? I think he made every right call in this match and the way he led his team was a joy to watch.

Quickfeet

Jan 18, 2007
    Aw man, the media was wrong, the line-up did not include Hugo Viana nor Hugo Almeida starting, I was so disappointed to see Nuno Gomes play yet another game, give Hugo Almeida his well-deserved spot!

Men of the match, Quaresma, Moutinho, and Nani was pretty good when he came on.
    Tiago showing us his volleys, and our defence with another clean sheet performance.

Cristiano scored 2 goals, other than that didn't shine much before scoring both goals, glad to see he played the full 90 minutes I think Quaresma should have played the full 90 minutes too.

Nevertheless, 4-0! Forca Portugal! :D I predicted a 4-0 score, once they scored 2.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Well, he did. And after the first half, despite his scoring the first goal (on a brilliant assist from João Moutinho, mind you), he was generally a waste of flesh and should have been the first player that Scolari pulled for a sub. Like Huga Almeida would have been a good change-up -- I would have loved to have seen that switch at the half.

I like Vaz Té a lot in terms of his size, positioning, and shooting. He's a good post-man in a way that Portugal severely lacks at the adult level. But it was Djaló who impressed me most yesterday -- as a more complete offensive player.

Nice match today though. The first half was dominated, but the finishing absolutely sucked (as expected) and Portugal was pitiful at feeding the ball at the top of the box.

Ultimately, it was a lot of youth that really cranked this one out. Quaresma was excellent from the get-go. Took a shot a couple times when he should have crossed, but many of his crosses, his ball control and movement, etc., were excellent. He probably could have scored on the goal Ronaldo nodded in, and his patented off-the-outside-of-his-foot goal had "YouTube" written all over it -- I expect the URL for that to be passed around for a while.

João Moutinho had an excellent match, IMO. With Deco out, he really needed to step up -- and I was glad to see Scolari start him instead of Hugo Viana. He showed great ball instincts and a lot of one-touch passes in just the right place. And the first goal was ultimately his -- he brilliantly made a great stop, sent the ball the other way, and then completed the triangle with a perfect pass to Gomes -- who had no choice but to score on that one. Either he or Quaresma get my MOM vote.

Ronaldo played generally well. But Tiago suprised me. Played his best match in an NT uniform today as far as I'm concerned. Nani was very effective as a sub -- as he was earlier in the season.
    Thanks for the match report Greg. What channel did you watch the game on btw?

btw, I just saw the highlights, that goal was all Quaresma, I didn't see Ronaldo touching it. :confused:

Cheers mate :smoke:

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    Great game by Germany as they just outplayed the czechs and created many chances with some good football.
    the defense and the midfield dealt very well with their attackers and a special notice goes to frings,ballack for keeping rosicky quiet and for metzelder for keeping Koller very quiet.

The german team looks more tactically aware under Joachim Low than under Klinsmann.They dont just go forward forgetting about defending.

K0STA

Jul 12, 2006

FT score: - Scotland 2 Giorgia 1
    What a game it was:) Game after game, Georgian team progresses ... you can now watch them and cheer for them ... as in the past years we were miserable...

What was wrong with scotland they were like in the WAR not playing football... thats not football... the referee SUCKED!!! Big Time... It was 1:1 game... shouldn't have gone 2:1...

Anyway congrads to Scots... and 60'000 people will be expecting you guys on the return match ;)

And also good luck with Italy .. although I don't see point going there;

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    What a game it was:) Game after game, Georgian team progresses ... you can now watch them and cheer for them ... as in the past years we were miserable...

What was wrong with scotland they were like in the WAR not playing football... thats not football... the referee SUCKED!!! Big Time... It was 1:1 game... shouldn't have gone 2:1...

Anyway congrads to Scots... and 60'000 people will be expecting you guys on the return match ;)

And also good luck with Italy .. although I don't see point going there;
    unlucky, i honestly was very worried about this game. scotland are great underdogs but we always struggle badly against teams like yours when we are expected to win. the giorgans are progressing well and i bet you must wish arveladze was 10 years younger so he could lead them through more improvement.
    scotlands defence was poor though and if we play like that against italy we will eb in trouble, even with craig"superman"gordon in goal

K0STA

Jul 12, 2006
    unlucky, i honestly was very worried about this game. scotland are great underdogs but we always struggle badly against teams like yours when we are expected to win. the giorgans are progressing well and i bet you must wish arveladze was 10 years younger so he could lead them through more improvement.
    scotlands defence was poor though and if we play like that against italy we will eb in trouble, even with craig"superman"gordon in goal
    Yeah your keeper was good.. but our keeper made couple super saves... and almost saved that second goal:)

I agree with you.

Also I think our team progresses, has the right coach. Economy is reviving. Its a small country ... and we try to be competitive almost in every sports...

Klaus Toppmoller said that "Georgia will try to do well against Ukraine, Italy and France to help scotland;))"

About Arveladze... He was good and has got some class so far .. but as you obsereved there \were other players making the game.

Unfortunately Toppmoller was not able to get whole team together not even once.

Asathiany is injured for several month now... he is everything iether in midfield and defence, Kaladze you all know him... and some others.

Gogua (was rejected by one of the scottish clubs) , Siradze and others.

Anyway Best wishes to scotland!!!

P.S. Although scotland could've played less agressive. :(

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    actually gogua is just trying to work round permit problems and he will join my team hearts hopefully this summer. unfortunately its because of geogia's fifa ranking his work permit was rejected, but we still want him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 94)