Official Azzurri WC2014 Thread (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
Don't we have any upcoming talents defensively, De Sciglio is really limited attacking threat on the left side.

In midfield, with Pirlo leaving, we could probably see De Rossi as an anchor with Veratti and hopefully Jorginho.
De Sciglio looks well defensively maybe he was a bit impotent attacking up the field but I think that'll improve with age. Like Treq said, Murru seems promising as well. Rugani is coming up to Serie A this season with Empoli, he's their best CB. Hopefully Romagnoli gets more minutes for Roma. I really liked Darmian this tournament, nothing too fancy or special but he was just solid.

For the midfield, promising players that come to mind are Verratti, Baselli, Bertolacci and Sturaro.

For the attack, El Shaarawy, Borini, Gabbiadini, Berardi, Florenzi, Destro

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
So, let's look ahead at euro 2016. I think this should be the squad going forward, provided that El Shaarawy and Rossi stay healthy and that Berardi's progression goes well.

Sirigu
Darmian-Barzagli-Chiellini-De Sciglio
De Rossi-Verratti-Marchisio
Berardi-Rossi-El Shaarawy​

I think El Shaarawy will have a good season if he can stay fit, especially with Balotelli seemingly out of the picture. Italy really has to start producing high quality CBs once again. Hopefully Rugani and Romagnoli will become good defenders.

This doesn't look bad at all, it will be interesting to see who becomes coach.
That's not a bad team, but as you said, we really do need to unearth some good new CBs. I think El Sha and Berardi on the wings would be a fabulous pairing for Italy, that could last for the next three tournaments if given the chance.

I just hope whoever comes in doesn't select the likes of Thiago Motta, Paletta, Abate, Aquilani, Parolo etc anymore.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
So, let's look ahead at euro 2016. I think this should be the squad going forward, provided that El Shaarawy and Rossi stay healthy and that Berardi's progression goes well.

Sirigu

I think El Shaarawy will have a good season if he can stay fit, especially with Balotelli seemingly out of the picture. Italy really has to start producing high quality CBs once again. Hopefully Rugani and Romagnoli will become good defenders.

Buffon

Yep. He's quickly becoming Giovinco 2.0
Heck even Giovinco would've done better than the turd Insigne was in that game.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
De Sciglio looks well defensively maybe he was a bit impotent attacking up the field but I think that'll improve with age. Like Treq said, Murru seems promising as well. Rugani is coming up to Serie A this season with Empoli, he's their best CB. Hopefully Romagnoli gets more minutes for Roma. I really liked Darmian this tournament, nothing too fancy or special but he was just solid.

For the midfield, promising players that come to mind are Verratti, Baselli, Bertolacci and Sturaro.

For the attack, El Shaarawy, Borini, Gabbiadini, Berardi, Florenzi, Destro
Jorginho as well for the midfield. Zaza (if he has another good season with Sass) could come into contention as well.

I refuse to believe the hysteria in the press that Italy doesn't have any good talents coming through. They were European U/21 runners up last year, and there is still a lot of good young players out there, they just need consistent playing time.

- - - Updated - - -

Some butthurt journalist is deleting my posts when I talk about the red card. He has the blantanty to say that he does not erase comments.
What did you say to him about the red card? Swedish or English journalist?

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Buffon

Heck even Giovinco would've done better than the turd Insigne was in that game.
:tup:

Buffon, 36 and what saves he is still making. This year past the winterbreak, again clearly the best keeper in italy. Its not even close, pure on quality alone he's still the best one.

From the new generation, Insigne was incredibly bad.

El SHaraawy, should go to a new team. That guy is so talented, and milan is wasting it so hard

Jul 1, 2010
:tup:

Buffon, 36 and what saves he is still making. This year past the winterbreak, again clearly the best keeper in italy. Its not even close, pure on quality alone he's still the best one.

From the new generation, Insigne was incredibly bad.

El SHaraawy, should go to a new team. That guy is so talented, and milan is wasting it so hard
But didn't Buffon say that he was retiring from the NT?

DIECI

Jul 12, 2011

Sirigu

you said it, we need new CBs that will control the backline, we need athletic ones that could run and neutralize the quick attackers. We also need a "top player" unfront that could score goals. Our midfield is fine I think, I still think its one of the best midfields in the world but the defense and attack portions of our squad need drastic improvements.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Serie A should be reduced to 18 teams and in Serie B there should be 'B' teams if Italians want to achieve something in the future. Prandelli can be faulted for the poor WC result but let's not kid ourselves - this Italy wouldn't do better even under Ancelotti/Conte/Montella. Espiecially in offense there aren't many quality options. It's no surprise because top Italian teams basiacally have no Italian forwards/wingers. Only Rossi can be counted as such IMO.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
But didn't Buffon say that he was retiring from the NT?
You're thinking of Pirlo.

Buffon said he won't retire until he is no longer good enough to be #1, which could be quite a while away still :p

Look at that save he pulled vs Suarez, that's pure vintage Buffon right there. The double save on cavani & suarez was pretty damn good too. He still has a long time left at the top.

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
I think Pirlo announced his retirement from NT yesterday to his teammates in the locker room, which isn't surprising, he hinted he would before the tournament. Never heard anything from Buffon yet, but GKs have a longer lifespan in the game.

Anyways, Edoardo Goldaniga (CB) and Andrea Belotti (ST) have a lot of hype behind them as well. Belotti is coming up this season with Palermo, hopefully he stays up there, I want to see him in Serie A. I think Goldaniga is staying in Serie B.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

Sirigu

Probable selection by 2016:

35 - Barzagli
33 - T. Motta, Marchetti, Gilardino
32 - De Rossi
31 - Chiellini, Parolo, Montolivo, Giaccherini, Aquilani
30 - Paletta, Marchisio, Osvaldo
29 - Sirigu, Abate, Bonucci, Candreva, Criscito, Astori, Antonelli, Rômulo, G. Rossi, Giovinco
28 - Cerci, Ranocchia, Ogbonna, De Silvestri
26 - Darmian, Immobile, Poli
25 - Balotelli, Insigne, Florenzi, Destro
24 - Gabbiadini, Bardi, Zappacosta, Baselli, Longo
23 - Perin, De Sciglio, Verratti, El Shaarawy, Sturaro, Masi, Bianchetti, Piccini, Beltrame, Leali
22 - Goldaniga, Belotti, Improta, Verre, Bernadeschi, Rozzi
21 - Rugani, Benassi, Berardi, Murru, Romagnoli, Del Fabro, Cristante
20 - Scuffet, Cerri

You'd think that the bolded ones have a good chance to go assuming fitness and form. Italy also don't tend to take many young players to tournaments, but there are actually quite a lot of good young players in the system.

It all depends how much game time they get. For example if Berardi has another strong season he'll be hard to ignore for the qualifiers and beyond. The likes of Baselli, Florenzi, Gabbiadini, Insigne and Zappacosta need to make a run to get themselves strongly into the reckoning for the squad. SES needs to come back from the abyss. The other central defenders need to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)