Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008
Totti: "My return? I don't know. I have not talked with Marcello Lippi. I'll have to check my physical condition and then see if the team wants me, so there are many things to consider."

Totti was/is a great player, if not legend...but isn't it a bit silly that he comes back now? He didn't give a sh#t when they played friendlies nor qualifications. But he'd come back 1 month before the WC and just jump in? Isn't that a bit sad? At least other players give their best and if he decides to come back they won't go. Looks messed up IMO.
Didn't Nedved do exactly that some years ago?

Buy on AliExpress.com

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Yes and I don't see any problem in it. You have to be ready to play for your team whenever they call you up for the qualifiers without expecting to be a part of them in the main tournament.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Well, if no Cassano and no Alex in the Azzurri then Totti would be most appreciated by Lippi and the Italians IMO. He can add a that flair to a very predictable team.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Didn't Nedved do exactly that some years ago?
I'm not saying because it's Totti. I'd direct the same even if it's Nedved.

Yes and I don't see any problem in it. You have to be ready to play for your team whenever they call you up for the qualifiers without expecting to be a part of them in the main tournament.
How? He's a professional so he doesn't have to do yoga to be ready for something special. It's weird you put everything on hold and when team goes through all kind of mud you just stand up and say "Oh I'll go" and screw some other players just because you're Totti. Different approach should have been taken. They should have asked him when those first friendlies and qualifications started, "do you want to go or not" and make it clear. But not like this. It's just what I think though.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
How? He's a professional so he doesn't have to do yoga to be ready for something special. It's weird you put everything on hold and when team goes through all kind of mud you just stand up and say "Oh I'll go" and screw some other players just because you're Totti. Different approach should have been taken. They should have asked him when those first friendlies and qualifications started, "do you want to go or not" and make it clear. But not like this. It's just what I think though.
Playing in all of qualifiers and friendlies only has one meaning: The coach thinks you can help the team in the qualifiers and friendlies, not more and not less. In the end it's the coach's decision to pick the players who can help his team the most.

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008
Unless the other players agree with it.

May 22, 2007
Playing in all of qualifiers and friendlies only has one meaning: The coach thinks you can help the team in the qualifiers and friendlies, not more and not less. In the end it's the coach's decision to pick the players who can help his team the most.
Fair enough if the coach deems you important enough to go to the qualifiers or not, but Totti has made himself unavailable for any of those games and now waltzes in like has some divine right to be the center of the national team. At least players like Del Piero and Cassano made themselves available.

I don't think any coach has picked a player specifically for the qualifiers without thinking about whether they're potentially one who would be part of the WC 23.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The coach should always choose his best players for a tournament, not limiting selection based on what has been seen in qualifiers or any single facet of selection. Just because one player scored a few goals in qualifiers doesn't mean he should be selected, especially if other players were left out for injuries and the like.

Talent and skill win out 99% of the time. That's why you have to pick the best players. If Totti is on form and ready to go and nobody else offers what he does, then he should be chosen.

Of course, this is highly hypocritical when Cassao is available, but that's Lippi for you.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Lippi should think about team first and foremost. If Totti is capable of leading that team (I highly doubt that) or if he's satisfied with lesser role (may be the case), he should go to South Africa. The only chance for Italy to win it is if they are as united and powerful as team as in 2006 not by individual talent.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Why are you so confident of that?

Italy wont win it, but neither will England. And I reckon if Italy met England in this tournament, Italy would win. England are a bunch of chokers at this level. No foreign superstars to save your average international team.

And to add to that, if Rooney is out of this tournament...LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)