Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (80 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #802
    @delpiero06: they're going to qualify, it's doing its job. Look at the formation I posted a page or so back for what I think they should do. Also, Cassano will not be in Lippi's squad.
    Are you serious? Your saying that Italy qualifying is good enough? It's freakin Italy?!
    They've won the the world cup four times and are one of the best teams on the planet. Were not talking about Switzerland here, far more is expected from Italy than simply qualifying from a relatively lax group. Also I know Cassano will never get called up by Lippi that wasn't the squad I thought would feature It was the one I would pick if I was Italy's coach. I'm sure Lippi will stick with his shitty 4-3-3 or something similar

I would bet my left testicle that the squad and formation I posted would not only play much better and impressive football but would earn results and be a real force at the coming world cup

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
    With Giovinco they could have done it, though. They could put Cassano, I think, there too. But, I doubt it will happen.
    I agree that either of them could play that position but neither will be in the squad and if Cassano was I wouldn't waste his talent in that position.

Are you serious? Your saying that Italy qualifying is good enough? It's freakin Italy?!
    They've won the the world cup four times and are one of the best teams on the planet. Were not talking about Switzerland here, far more is expected from Italy than simply qualifying from a relatively lax group. Also I know Cassano will never get called up by Lippi that wasn't the squad I thought would feature It was the one I would pick if I was Italy's coach. I'm sure Lippi will stick with his shitty 4-3-3 or something similar

I would bet my left testicle that the squad and formation I posted would not only play much better and impressive football but would earn results and be a real force at the coming world cup
    So basically you think you're a better manager than Lippi?

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #804
    So basically you think you're a better manager than Lippi?
    Don't put words in my mouth I never said that, I said that I think I could pick a better Italy team right now. Lippi knows the players in completely different way than any fan could and who knows maybe a less personal and more footballing ability based view of the squad would help. I think Lippi is a fantastic manager, who could ever argue with that with his hugely impressive track record but he seems a little bit stuck in his ways with an old system that used to work but know players are getting older and there is a huge need for new younger faces and it seems as if Lippi doesn't want to change I am in no way a better coach than Lippi but I think my list of callups in this particular instance is better than his. Maybe he has reasons I don't know for his choices...

Elgerino

Feb 2, 2009
    I agree that either of them could play that position but neither will be in the squad and if Cassano was I wouldn't waste his talent in that position.
    I don't think he would be wasted there. He pretty much has the characteristics to play in that position. Maybe play him higher than in the 4-4-2.

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #806
    I never said they will be in the squad, what I said is that I WANTED them to be in it. I agree that if Cassano was called up not to waste him on the left he would for sure be a starting forward behind a striker like Pazzini/Gila

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
    Don't put words in my mouth I never said that, I said that I think I could pick a better Italy team right now. Lippi knows the players in completely different way than any fan could and who knows maybe a less personal and more footballing ability based view of the squad would help. I think Lippi is a fantastic manager, who could ever argue with that with his hugely impressive track record but he seems a little bit stuck in his ways with an old system that used to work but know players are getting older and there is a huge need for new younger faces and it seems as if Lippi doesn't want to change I am in no way a better coach than Lippi but I think my list of callups in this particular instance is better than his. Maybe he has reasons I don't know for his choices...
    I agree with Lippi not calling up Cassano (one of your call ups).

The only thing I think Lippi should have done differently is trying out youngsters like De Ceglie, Balotelli, Giovinco, etc earlier. It's too late for that now though. I certainly wouldn't bring anyone to the World Cup who hasn't had experience of competitive internationals before now.

The bottom line I think is that the players at his disposal now aren't anywhere near as good as the ones from 2006. In 2006 they were lucky enough to have a squad at its prime that coincided with a World Cup. The stars of that squad are past their best now and the new players are all either not as or haven't got the required international experience (again, the only thing I might blame Lippi for, but it is his call and I think he's decided that they aren't good enough).

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
    I don't think he would be wasted there. He pretty much has the characteristics to play in that position. Maybe play him higher than in the 4-4-2.
    I'd scrap the 4-4-2 and play him behind either 1 or 2 strikers. It's a pointless debate though for as long as Lippi is in charge.

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #809
    I agree with Lippi not calling up Cassano (one of your call ups).

The only thing I think Lippi should have done differently is trying out youngsters like De Ceglie, Balotelli, Giovinco, etc earlier. It's too late for that now though. I certainly wouldn't bring anyone to the World Cup who hasn't had experience of competitive internationals before now.

The bottom line I think is that the players at his disposal now aren't anywhere near as good as the ones from 2006. In 2006 they were lucky enough to have a squad at it's prime that coincided with a World Cup. The stars of that squad are past their best now and the new players are all either not as or haven't got the required international experience (again, the only thing I might blame Lippi for, but it is his call and I think he's decided that they aren't good enough).
    I see your point but I think Lippi should call up new players and not just young ones, Italy doesn't have the same squad it did in 2006 and their needs to be change if he wants to move forward from the confederations cup. It seems like Lippi basically made 2 or 3 changes only because of public pressure but wants to bring the exact same system and many of the same players to south Africa to flop horribly for the second time. I cannot understand why he is sticking to this same three man midfield with 3 strikers it is doing terribly the midfield looks like shit. My lineup probably wouldn't win the trophy but at least Italy would leave the tournament with a much better performance than last summer. We saw that this system does NOT work at the confed cup and Italy may not be favorites but they can do much better

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
    I see your point but I think Lippi should call up new players and not just young ones, Italy doesn't have the same squad it did in 2006 and their needs to be change if he wants to move forward from the confederations cup. It seems like Lippi basically made 2 or 3 changes only because of public pressure but wants to bring the exact same system and many of the same players to south Africa to flop horribly for the second time. I cannot understand why he is sticking to this same three man midfield with 3 strikers it is doing terribly the midfield looks like shit. My lineup probably wouldn't win the trophy but at least Italy would leave the tournament with a much better performance than last summer. We saw that this system does NOT work at the confed cup and Italy may not be favorites but they can do much better
    I think Lippi has also seen from the Confeds Cup that the 3 man midfield involving 3 of Pirlo, DDR, Rino, & Montolivo doesn't work. He said something about the squad/team/formation from the Confeds Cup not being linked to the one for next summer.

I don't think any line-up involving players who are currently available for the Azzurri would win the 2010 WC.

I think Lippi should call up new players and not just young ones
    Who do you mean?

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #811
    Pazzini, Cassano, Foggia, Maggio, or maybe even Rosina. They aren't all new players to the Italy but they would be new to Lippi's team. And to clarify one last time I think Lippi is a brilliant coach but I really disagree with the approach he has taken this time around with Italy

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
    Pazzini, Cassano, Foggia, Maggio, or maybe even Rosina. They aren't all new players to the Italy but they would be new to Lippi's team
    Pazzini - I agree. I think he will be an important player even if he doesn't start every game.

Cassano - I've said it all before.

Foggia - He could be one for the left of your 4-4-2?

Maggio - Only has one cap. He'd need to play a lot of internationals and impress in them between now and the summer.

Rosina - not good enough IMO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 80)