Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2006
Overall I dont think the Italy squad is very strong. I dont see the point of calling players like Gamberini and Dossena who have no real future in the squad. Their spots should be taken by younger players who will eventually be starters for the team.

I would prefer to see Criscito as a back up to Grosso in the Italy Squad and Santacroce instead of Gamberini or Leggro. I wonder why Lippi thinks it better to include mediocre players? Santacroce is a very good player and can cover 2 positions. I also dont think the Italy team would be weaker with Chiellini-Santacroce then with Chiellini-Gamberini

Buy on AliExpress.com
Mar 30, 2006
You're going to support the Azzurri over us? Your own country?

You ain't no patriot, Vinster.
I cheer for Italy even though I am not of Italian decent. But that is cuz Canada are never at world cups :(

But I do see your point. I think with many people it is not a decision of country a vs country b .. it is all about their favorite players, so many ppl will cheer for the team with their favorites regardless of the nation they represent.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
It would be understandable if you said Galway Utd. Or in Red's case Aberdeen, but Juve over your own Country's NT? :disagree:
Obviously I love my country but the NT, meh. Half the squad is English and the management is Italian. I don't feel it really represents my country.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Obviously I love my country but the NT, meh. Half the squad is English and the management is Italian. I don't feel it really represents my country.
Oh ya, then that is very understandable.

The same is happening in Qatar now(much worse actually) and a lot of Qatari's i know, don't support their NT anymore as they don't feel it represents them.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Oh ya, then that is very understandable.

The same is happening in Qatar now(much worse actually) and a lot of Qatari's i know, don't support their NT anymore as they don't feel it represents them.
Actually, the squad was almost entirely English in the "golden generation" of the early to mid 90's. One of them was Tony Cascarino...
From wiki:
Cascarino was born in England but represented the Republic of Ireland, qualifying through his Irish grandfather. However, he later revealed that his mother told him in 1996 that she was adopted and therefore no blood relative to the grandfather. Cascarino said in his autobiography: "I didn't qualify for Ireland. I was a fraud. A fake Irishman". However, through the adoption his mother gained the right to Irish citizenship and therefore he was indeed eligible.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
At the moment, our second choice keeper is Keiren Westwood.

This is an actual quote from him:
"I'm not Irish as such. I'm a good Catholic boy though". (said in an English accent). :rolleyes:

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Fuck that shit. I'm a Libyan first and foremost, fuck the clubs, its the NT that represents you in front of the world. Country over club any day of the week and three times on a Friday.

Libyan NT > all.
It is somewhat different for me since I'm speaking about my local club.

I am more attached to the city of Aberdeen than I am to the rest of Scotland, so it follows that I care most about Aberdeen FC.

I'm also not good at putting club loyalties aside. I once nearly got my head kicked in for booing Barry 'the cunt' Ferguson onto the pitch at a Scotland game. :D

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Which makes you an American, Vinny. You're just enough Italian to support the Azzurri :D
someone who understands !! :beer:

I cheer for Italy even though I am not of Italian decent. But that is cuz Canada are never at world cups :(

But I do see your point. I think with many people it is not a decision of country a vs country b .. it is all about their favorite players, so many ppl will cheer for the team with their favorites regardless of the nation they represent.
you live in Canada....tell me how many ppl who live up there, who are Canadian mind you, that support the team of which their families come from ??

I remember back in '98, the Portuguese up in Toronto were all waving Brazil flags, since their team didnt make the tournament....I laughed my ass off when France beat Brazil

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Whatever, Vinni.

I just laugh at how you consider yourself a patriot, but can't support the US over the Azzurri. It's frankly insanity.

But I still like you, and like what you do for the city of Buffalo.

Mar 10, 2009
if were complaining about immigrants look at france. Most of their stars are/were african origin including zidane. We shouldnt judge the colour or original race of the player, its he's feet that should do the talking. As long as he's playing for italy i'll be supporting him

if amauri scored the winning goal at the world cup final, you wouldnt see me complaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)