Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
i think italy suffer from the lost generation around gila (u21)... noone made it into the senior nt.... toni camo and co are all in the mid 30s...
i think it could also happen to the likes of rossi gio and co if noone gonna support them... the problem here r the clubs like inter and co. they don't support their youth and players get loaned out and r forgotten after some years....italy had ever on of the best u21 or u17 but most of them failed to get into the senior squad...

but still italy could do well in south africa...
apart from some oldies like buffon canna camo maybe pirlo
we have some proven jung players like chillini or de rossi
and the likes of aquiliani montolivio gio rossi and co
we just need to find the right mixture
Yeah, once we talked about that lost generation. If you look at the names the 1970's gave to the Italian football you can have nothing else but respect for the calcio.
Starting from 1973 you have Cannavaro, Materazzi, Inzaghi, Pannuci, Vieri
1974 gave us Del Piero
1975 - Fiore ( yeah, bad year for Calcio)
1976- Totti, Camoranesi (ok, his case is different), Nesta
1977- Zambrotta, Toni, Perrotta
1978- Buffon, Gattuso
And in 1979 you have Pirlo and few more (Iaquinta etc)

Most of these guys were winning big tournaments ever since their early 20's. It was obvious they were born winners.
But you enter the 1980's and you have a lack of talent. Between Pirlo and Gilardino's generation ( between 1979 and 1982) you have only Barzagli and Gamberini who made it to the NT.
Then, in Gilardino's generation (the one that was superior in the youth stages and that is now consisted of players in their mid 20's), even though everyone expected these guys to rule the world, only Daniele De Rossi and Cassano made it big. Gilardino, Borriello, Quagliarella and Amelia were great talents but now we can see that these guys aren't among world's best.

Aquilani and Chiellini are the leaders of their generation and there is some exciting talent in the new u21.
But there is lack of quality players between Pirlo and Chiellini (generation 1979 till generation 1984) and exactly those generations were supposed to lead Italy during Donadoni era.

That's why Donadoni failed and that's why i'm sure everyone in his position would have failed.
Why do you think no-one wanted to take the helm of the Italian NT after Lippi?
Guys like Capello, Ancelotti and the other great names were aware that they can't do much. And that's why the Italian FA had to do with a young coach like Donadoni, because he was one of the rare who were willing to accept the job.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
If I was an Azzurri fan I would try to get some movement going for ending Pirlo's and Gattuso's participation with the NT. These guys are painful to watch, and they have been for quite some time now.

K0STA

Jul 12, 2006
I wonder how good Camo was in his 20s :) like when he was 22-23-24 :) Very Interesting to see some video. I guess there arent any :)

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
That's why Donadoni failed and that's why i'm sure everyone in his position would have failed.
Why do you think no-one wanted to take the helm of the Italian NT after Lippi?
Guys like Capello, Ancelotti and the other great names were aware that they can't do much. And that's why the Italian FA had to do with a young coach like Donadoni, because he was one of the rare who were willing to accept the job.
Thats a load of crap, my friend.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Thats a load of crap, my friend.
I guess you're one of those who think that Donadoni failed because he didn't play Del Piero all the time ?

What more did people expect from Donadoni ? He won his qualifying group ( the group with France, Ukraine and Scotland), he almost made it to the semi of the euro's and his team was eliminated on penalties by the euro champs.
He had to do without Nesta, Totti and Cannavaro, he had old players and, like i've shown you in some of my previous posts, 4 or 5 generations of Italian footballers didn't give more than 1 or 2 good players.

No coach would have won anything with the team Italy had after the world cup.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I guess you're one of those who think that Donadoni failed because he didn't play Del Piero all the time ?

What more did people expect from Donadoni ? He won his qualifying group ( the group with France, Ukraine and Scotland), he almost made it to the semi of the euro's and his team was eliminated on penalties by the euro champs.
He had to do without Nesta, Totti and Cannavaro, he had old players and, like i've shown you in some of my previous posts, 4 or 5 generations of Italian footballers didn't give more than 1 or 2 good players.

This is true.

delpierofan82

Apr 24, 2005

Oh C'mon his team was playing terrible football his tactics was only the high balls for Toni and that's all
So he failed because of his poor tactical abilities

Why wouldn't you ? :D

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
It was obvious to anyone who wasn't blinded with love for the Italian NT that after the WC the team was going down, NO MATTER who was the coach.
The team that won the WC was the oldest team that won a WC in history and there weren't any good players to replace the older superstars.
You can argue that Donadoni made some tactical mistakes, but it's foolish to think that someone else would have achieved more with the players at his disposal. Only with a catenaccio and an unbelievable luck (like Greece in 2004), this Italian team could've achieved more.
Cannavaro, Materazzi, Nesta.....Zambrotta and Grosso at full power. What did Donadoni have ? Cannavaro and Materazzi in their mid 30's, not even close to the players they were, Nesta retired while Zambrotta and Grosso also in their 30's now, without the speed that made them so good.
Del Piero, Inzaghi, Totti.......these guys were world's best in their best years. Now one of them retired while the other two were in their mid 30's. Even in midfield Gattuso didn't run as much as he did before, Pirlo was out of form, and Camoranesi, as great as he is, is also in his 30's now.

What about their subs ? Don't look at the current u21 because Donadoni couldn't possibly count on those players. Apart from Chiellini you have NO-ONE to replace the old superstars . No-one in defense as close to Nesta in quality, no quality full-backs who can run all match long up and down like Zambro did in his 20's. There wasn't a fantasista like Totti and they didn't have a younger and great striker who scores 20-30 goals every season, like Ale and Pippo did in the past.

People didn't want to accept the reality and they took a shortcut, saying that it's Donadoni's fault only.

If you ask Enron or Fred they'll tell you the same thing about us, the Juve fans (most of us, not all. I'm among the most).
We still want to think that we're strong to win all the trophies, as strong as we were before Calciopoli, but the reality says otherwise.

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
CONVOCATI - Questi i 23 convocati: Portieri: Buffon (Juventus), Amelia (Palermo), De Sanctis (Galatasaray); Difensori: Bonera (Milan), Cannavaro (Real Madrid), Chiellini (Juventus), Dossena (Liverpool), Gamberini (Fiorentina), Santacroce (Napoli), Zambrotta (Milan); Centrocampisti: Aquilani (Roma), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Gattuso (Milan), Maggio (Napoli), Montolivo (Fiorentina), Nocerino (Palermo), Perrotta (Roma); Attaccanti: Di Natale (Udinese), Gilardino (Fiorentina), Pepe (Udinese), Rossi (Villarreal), Toni (Bayern Monaco)

Rossi,Maggio&Santacroce:tup:

Pepe:tdown:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It was obvious to anyone who wasn't blinded with love for the Italian NT that after the WC the team was going down, NO MATTER who was the coach.
The team that won the WC was the oldest team that won a WC in history and there weren't any good players to replace the older superstars.
You can argue that Donadoni made some tactical mistakes, but it's foolish to think that someone else would have achieved more with the players at his disposal. Only with a catenaccio and an unbelievable luck (like Greece in 2004), this Italian team could've achieved more.
Cannavaro, Materazzi, Nesta.....Zambrotta and Grosso at full power. What did Donadoni have ? Cannavaro and Materazzi in their mid 30's, not even close to the players they were, Nesta retired while Zambrotta and Grosso also in their 30's now, without the speed that made them so good.
Del Piero, Inzaghi, Totti.......these guys were world's best in their best years. Now one of them retired while the other two were in their mid 30's. Even in midfield Gattuso didn't run as much as he did before, Pirlo was out of form, and Camoranesi, as great as he is, is also in his 30's now.

What about their subs ? Don't look at the current u21 because Donadoni couldn't possibly count on those players. Apart from Chiellini you have NO-ONE to replace the old superstars . No-one in defense as close to Nesta in quality, no quality full-backs who can run all match long up and down like Zambro did in his 20's. There wasn't a fantasista like Totti and they didn't have a younger and great striker who scores 20-30 goals every season, like Ale and Pippo did in the past.

People didn't want to accept the reality and they took a shortcut, saying that it's Donadoni's fault only.

If you ask Enron or Fred they'll tell you the same thing about us, the Juve fans (most of us, not all. I'm among the most).
We still want to think that we're strong to win all the trophies, as strong as we were before Calciopoli, but the reality says otherwise.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)