Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I've seen a lot of people criticizing Lippi's team selection and they are right, his selection was rather poor and he left out a lot of good players and brought in some who don't deserve to be there, but i really disagree with those who say they thought DP should have been called up.

DP has always been one of Lippi's favorite players, and believe me if he deserved to go the WC he would have went.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I remember World Cups very clearly, Materazzi's false red against Australia, Malouda's dive in the final, Italy must be due a lot of karma :hellyes:
In the same game there was a correct penalty against Zambrotta that wasn't given. It evened itself out in the end.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
'Cassano wouldn’t have helped' Friday 25 June, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro has denied claims that his side would still be in the World Cup if Marcello Lippi had called up Sampdoria fantasista Antonio Cassano.

The Azzurri were dumped out of the group stages yesterday for the first time since 1974 and have been branded the worst team ever to represent the peninsula.

Lippi has been criticised in particular for not taking a flair player with him to South Africa like Francesco Totti, Fabrizio Miccoli or Cassano.

“I don’t see any phenomenal players around,” Cannavaro said. “I respect Cassano, but we played two European Championships with him and didn’t win either of them.
“We must all turn the page. If we remain fixed on this point it will be another 26 years until we win a World Cup and Italy can’t allow itself that.

“I am not ashamed to say that after 14 years playing for Italy I cried yesterday. But nothing can ever erase what we did in 2006 because if this shirt is heavier, it’s because of the fourth star we put on it.”

Shut.The.Fuck.Up

An open letter to Jackass (Cannavaro)

Dear Jackass,

You are an idiot. The major difference between the Euro 2004, Euro 2008, and NOW, is quite simple.

Cassano was not the best Italian Player during those times.

He is now, and your boy Lippi left him at home.

Go away, have fun playing in the desert.

Sincerely,

Anyone with a shred of common sense. (Which, apparently, is not you)

Sep 14, 2003
We'll never know either way. His inclusion certainly can't of hurt the team's chances. Above all, he had earnt his place in the squad, how many of the rest can say that?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
In the same game there was a correct penalty against Zambrotta that wasn't given. It evened itself out in the end.
It wasn't clear at all, but either way, Australia did nothing to win that game as they had less chances than Italy with a man advantage for half of it. That's more what these issues come down to, the same for Italy against Slovakia, 20 mins of play wasn't enough. People talking about Italy getting decisions though, fuck, after 2002 it didn't even itself out at all. It's funny how people call Italy fans up for these things but other countries are not quick to forget either.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Is it right that Italy play Serbia away in the last Euro 2012 qualifying game?
September 3, 2010, A-Estonia
September 7, 2010, H- Faroe Islands
October 8, 2010, A- Northern Ireland
October 12, 2010, H- Serbia
March 25, 2011, A- Slovenia
June 3, 2011, H- Estonia
September 2, 2011, A- Faroe Islands
September 6, 2011, H- Slovenia
October 7, 2011, A- Serbia
October 11, 2011, H- Northern Ireland

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We'll never know either way. His inclusion certainly can't of hurt the team's chances. Above all, he had earnt his place in the squad, how many of the rest can say that?
To be fair to Lippi there are many players in other teams who are still at the World Cup who did not earn their places based on the league season. The players he took are the ones who qualified with an unbeaten record.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
September 3, 2010, A-Estonia
September 7, 2010, H- Faroe Islands
October 8, 2010, A- Northern Ireland
October 12, 2010, H- Serbia
March 25, 2011, A- Slovenia
June 3, 2011, H- Estonia
September 2, 2011, A- Faroe Islands
September 6, 2011, H- Slovenia
October 7, 2011, A- Serbia
October 11, 2011, H- Northern Ireland
So that could get interesting. Hopefully Northern Ireland are down and out by then, as Italy often struggle against the sides with a 'British' style and mentality.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
We'll never know either way. His inclusion certainly can't of hurt the team's chances. Above all, he's earn't his place in the squad, how many of the rest can say that?
I had a long phone conversation with Andy yesterday, and we were talking about this.

What was the most lethal Italian strike force in Serie A last year?

Without a doubt it was the Pazzini-Cassano pairing.

And I am going to say this until I am blue in the face.

When trying to pick your starting XI, Sampdoria already did his job for him.

There was no reason, absolutely no reason that Cassano should not have been there instead of Iaquinta.

That pairing was gift wrapped for him.

You want chemistry, consistency, cohesion?

Simple, you bring him into the squad, tell him that he is reuniting with Pazzini, and the jobs are yours until you lose them.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
To be fair to Lippi there are many players in other teams who are still at the World Cup who did not earn their places based on the league season. The players he took are the ones who qualified with an unbeaten record.
Bah. Bullshit.

Italy, unlike Spain, England, Brazil, does not have the type of talent pool where they can leave players of the quality of Cassano and Miccoli at home. They simply don't, which brings up another point I've been screaming about for 7 years, but that's another story for another time.

No excuse for it. None whatsoever. Cassano and Miccoli have both been miles better than Gilardino and Iaquinta the last 2 seasons with their all-around play.

Nations with a shallower talent pool HAVE to take their best players, and the bottom line is he didn't.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
It wasn't clear at all, but either way, Australia did nothing to win that game as they had less chances than Italy with a man advantage for half of it. That's more what these issues come down to, the same for Italy against Slovakia, 20 mins of play wasn't enough. People talking about Italy getting decisions though, fuck, after 2002 it didn't even itself out at all. It's funny how people call Italy fans up for these things but other countries are not quick to forget either.
I was talking about the France game, Malouda dived, but after that incident there was another correct penalty against Zambrotta that the ref didn't give.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I was talking about the France game, Malouda dived, but after that incident there was another correct penalty against Zambrotta that the ref didn't give.
Ok, I don't remember it, couldn't have been important as the French would have had a national protest for three days otherwise :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Completely agree with Serge here. Another thing is, this Italian team desperately needed mobility, someone who can take the ball and run at defenders, someone with talent, someone who is able to create something out of nothing. That someone is Cassano, to a lesser extent Miccoli could have helped in that sense too. Not bringing either one of them was criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)