Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Thread (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Amauri closes on Azzurri

Palermo striker Amauri is on course to receive an Italian passport in time to contend for a place in Roberto Donadoni’s Euro 2008 squad.

The nine-goal Brazilian marksman has become one of Serie A’s hottest properties and is in line for a summer move to one of the peninsula’s giants, but he is yet to receive a Selecao shirt.

Rather than wait for Carlos Dunga’s selection, Amauri has indicated that he is ready to play for Italy and is set to gain citizenship after spending over five years in the country.

“He will get an Italian passport by April 30,” agent Mariano Grimaldi revealed on Radio Kiss Kiss. “Amauri will then be available for selection in the Azzurri side.”

Donadoni is looking for a dependable hitman to play understudy to Luca Toni in Austria and Switzerland and there is a chance he may have found his man.

However, debate is set to rage over whether Amauri should be eligible for Italy, given his lack of any Italian descent.

The same issue caused heated argument back in 2003 when Argentine winger Mauro Camoranesi was called into the Azzurri squad.

channel 4

no....he's Brazilian

Buy on AliExpress.com

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Ya we aren't those damn french bastards. Italy is twice the team they will ever be and we don't need to stoop to their low level. I think Marco Borriello should start against Spain as he deserves a chance. I think the most confusing thing about the Azzurri euro 2008 selection will be the striker callups. Di Natale and Toni will certainly be there and as of now i feel that the other three strikers should be Del Piero, Cassano, and maybe Borriello. Borriello has been impressive this season and has scored more than Trezegol yet he needs to prove he is not just another Gilardino. Crapadoni better start De rossi ahead of Ambrosini in the Euros. De rossi has been world class this season and a midfield with him, pirlo, and gattuso in the center would be spectacular. As for Amauri he is a good player but he is NOT an ITALIAN and even if he was i would still callup the other five players ahead of him. He is good but overrated.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
His justification for playing Ambrosini instead of De Rossi would pobably be that he plays with Pirlo and Gattuso every week and the understanding is already there. Not that I agree though, I love De Rossi.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Ya we aren't those damn french bastards. Italy is twice the team they will ever be and we don't need to stoop to their low level. I think Marco Borriello should start against Spain as he deserves a chance. I think the most confusing thing about the Azzurri euro 2008 selection will be the callups. Di Natale and Toni will certainly be there and as of now i feel that the other three strikers should be Del Piero, Cassano, and maybe Borriello. Borriello has been impressive this season and has scored more than Trezegol yet he needs to prove he is not just another Gilardino. Crapadoni better start De rossi ahead of Ambrosini in the Euros. De rossi has been world class this season and a midfield with him, pirlo, and gattuso in the center would be spectacular. As for Amauri he is a good player but he is NOT an ITALIAN and even if he was i would still callup the other five players ahead of him. He is good but overrated.
You're an idiot. Hope you get raped by an Algerian Frenchman.

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Don’s recipe for success
Thursday 28 February, 2008

Italy boss Roberto Donadoni believes that “fitness and focus” is the key to a successful Euro 2008 campaign.

The world champions travel to Austria and Switzerland with immense pressure on them to deliver another triumph.

Having replaced Marcello Lippi in the aftermath of Italy’s greatest glory since 1982, Donadoni is no stranger to the demands of the peninsula’s fans.

“It’s never easy when everybody has such great expectations,” the 44-year-old explained to UEFA.com.

“However, the team has responded perfectly in all respects. When I took the job I inherited a group of top-level players and a very good coaching staff who gave me great support. Everything went well after that.”

Facing a fearsome Group containing Holland, France and Romania, Donadoni knows that his men will have to dig deep to avoid an unthinkable early exit.

“You start from zero in each competition,” the ex-Livorno tactician stressed. “At every stage we have to measure ourselves against our opponents who will try and cause us trouble. There is nothing new about that – we just need the right determination.

“I would like to have a team in good athletic condition,” Donadoni continued. “That is my biggest worry ahead of the finals. If you have that then it doesn’t make much difference whether you face France, Holland or Austria, you can face any opponent without fear.

“As long as the mental and physical conditions are correct, we will be confident. Obviously the main men are the players and it’s just important that they don’t pick up any injuries or come into the tournament too tired. That’s crucial if you want to play your best at the European Championships or the World Cup.”

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
You mean like one of the AFRICAN born players on your France team?
The only reason why France has African born players in their NT while Italy doesn't, is because the Italians weren't a colonial power while the French were.
And trust me, Italians really wanted to be a colonial power.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
They were but they were a lame colonial power.
Beh, i don't count them as a colonial power. They had 3 or 4 colonies and they had the worst ones.
And looking from a footballing aspect, they really had the worst colonies possible.
Did you hear about a football player from Somalia ? :lol2:

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
Donadoni: I Don’t Want The Same Fate As Napoleon
There are exactly 100 days to go until Euro 2008, and Italy boss Roberto Donadoni hopes he doesn’t have the same fate as the 19th century French general Napoleon Bonaparte.
»Comments (1) Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us
galleria zoom Napoleon

With 100 days to go until the opening game of Euro 2008, La Stampa came up with an interesting analogy of the famous ‘Hundred Days’ in 1815, which was the period between Napoleon’s return to Paris from his exile on the Tuscan island of Elba, and his eventual demise that led to the restoration of Louis XIII on the throne.

In an interview with the paper, Donadoni preferred that no such link was proposed, given the negative fate that was bestowed upon Napoleon.

"As things ended up for him, I prefer not to think about this,” said Donadoni.

Group Of Death

The Azzurri have been drawn in the ‘Group of Death’ alongside Holland, Romania and France.

”I have three employees who I have entrusted to go and see Holland, France and Romania,” Donadoni noted.

”I have ideas but it is essential that you understand what conditions the players are in. This is a very important principle, although it is not absolute.”

Cassano, Del Piero Or Borriello?

Donadoni was then asked who he was going to select out of Antonio Cassano, Alessandro Del Piero and Marco Borriello, who are all in excellent form currently.

“I ask you a favour. Tell me who should I leave at home,” he said.

Amauri

Finally the subject of Amauri came up, with the Brazilian set to gain an Italian passport on April 30. Is Donadoni against the calling-up of ‘Oriundi’ (naturalised foreigners).

"No, and he is one of the strongest attackers available,” he stated.

“However we are talking about April which is very close to the European Championships with only one friendly to test him out before the tournament.”

Anthony Sormani

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=604116

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
Donadoni: I Don’t Want The Same Fate As Napoleon
There are exactly 100 days to go until Euro 2008, and Italy boss Roberto Donadoni hopes he doesn’t have the same fate as the 19th century French general Napoleon Bonaparte.
»Comments (1) Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us
galleria zoom Napoleon

With 100 days to go until the opening game of Euro 2008, La Stampa came up with an interesting analogy of the famous ‘Hundred Days’ in 1815, which was the period between Napoleon’s return to Paris from his exile on the Tuscan island of Elba, and his eventual demise that led to the restoration of Louis XIII on the throne.

In an interview with the paper, Donadoni preferred that no such link was proposed, given the negative fate that was bestowed upon Napoleon.

"As things ended up for him, I prefer not to think about this,” said Donadoni.

Group Of Death

The Azzurri have been drawn in the ‘Group of Death’ alongside Holland, Romania and France.

”I have three employees who I have entrusted to go and see Holland, France and Romania,” Donadoni noted.

”I have ideas but it is essential that you understand what conditions the players are in. This is a very important principle, although it is not absolute.”

Cassano, Del Piero Or Borriello?

Donadoni was then asked who he was going to select out of Antonio Cassano, Alessandro Del Piero and Marco Borriello, who are all in excellent form currently.

“I ask you a favour. Tell me who should I leave at home,” he said.

Amauri

Finally the subject of Amauri came up, with the Brazilian set to gain an Italian passport on April 30. Is Donadoni against the calling-up of ‘Oriundi’ (naturalised foreigners).

"No, and he is one of the strongest attackers available,” he stated.

“However we are talking about April which is very close to the European Championships with only one friendly to test him out before the tournament.”

Anthony Sormani

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=604116
In my eyes Donadoni shouldnt even think of calling up Amauri, he hasnt even expressed any love for Italia at all and he still says he hopes to be called up for Brazil.. This guy is a good player but he's not italian and doesnt even come close, its as simple as that

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
In my eyes Donadoni shouldnt even think of calling up Amauri, he hasnt even expressed any love for Italia at all and he still says he hopes to be called up for Brazil.. This guy is a good player but he's not italian and doesnt even come close, its as simple as that
I will hate the crapadoni even more if he calls up Amauri. BTW Amauri is good but overrated anyway, I would take Toni, Di natale, Cassano, Borrielo, Del Piero over him even if he was Italian.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The only reason why France has African born players in their NT while Italy doesn't, is because the Italians weren't a colonial power while the French were.
And trust me, Italians really wanted to be a colonial power.
True that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)