Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Thread (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Italy speaks: Alex not Antonio

The Italian public would rather see Alessandro Del Piero than Antonio Cassano at Euro 2008, according to a survey in the peninsula.

Competition for striking spots in Roberto Donadoni’s squad for Austria and Switzerland is intense.

Despite their undoubted quality, Del Piero and Cassano have been left to ponder exclusion after missing out on selection to play against Portugal in a friendly at the start of the month.

Both men impressed last weekend as Del Piero’s free-kick vanquished Roma and Cassano was the Man of the Match in Sampdoria’s Derby della Lanterna triumph over Genoa.

However, a poll taken by Sky Sport Italia revealed that 62 per cent of Italians would rather see Del Piero taken to Euro 2008 than Cassano.

The battle for places in the final squad continues with all the attacking candidates on impressive form.

Luca Toni and Antonio Di Natale stated their cases last weekend with the former netting a hat-trick for Bayern Munich and the latter bagging a match-winning brace in Udinese’s triumph over Reggina.

channel 4
it aint just the juventini!:flag:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Amauri: I Could Play For Italy At Euro 2008

Palermo star Amauri has raised eyebrows by admitting that there is a possibility he could play for Italy at Euro 2008.

The 27-year-old is Brazilian by birth, however he has never played or received a call-up to play for his home country.

The classy striker is set to receive an Italian passport in the very near future, possibly in the next few weeks, and this will make him eligible to represent the Azzurri.

"I have not heard from Dunga [Brazil national team coach] and I must admit that I am disappointed that I have not been called,” said Amauri.

“In the meantime, however, I hope to obtain an Italian passport shortly and maybe I will go to the European Championships.

“I am keen to stress though that my goal is to do well with the shirt of Palermo.”

There is a split opinion over whether Amauri should be allowed to play for Italy at Euro 2008.

On the one hand, Italy are desperately short of alternatives for Luca Toni in the first striker role, a function that Amauri would be perfect for.

On the other hand there are those who say that a naturalised foreigner should not be allowed to play for Italy. There was a similar furore in some quarters when the Argentine-born Mauro Camoranesi was permitted to play for Italy in 2003.

goal.com

Sep 26, 2007
I hope Amauri doesn't play for the Azzurri. I know we do it with Camo, but Camo is enough. It takes away from the purpose of national teams, imo.

When is the next Azzurri friendly?

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
I dont think Amauri should play for Italy.I dont think Camo should have been allowed to do that initially.But all of it,its such a confusing issue.Its a major loophole in Fifa regulations,and TBH,i dont think there will ever be a solution to it.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
you should be able to play for italy if you have italian grandparents because that means you are italian. god i wish maradona wouldve after all he is italian :wink:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Materazzi: We’ll win Euro 2008

Marco Materazzi has exclusively told Football Italia that Italy will follow up their World Cup success with Euro 2008 glory.

The Azzurri will start the tournament as one of the favourites after their Germany 2006 triumph and the Matrix is in confident mood.

“We will win it,” said the uncompromising Inter stopper. “We want it so badly because we would enter Italian football’s history books.

“No Italian side has won the World Cup and then the European Championship – we would become the generation to remember forever.”

Materazzi is now a regular first team pick following the retirement of Alessandro Nesta, his role model, and he admits that the Azzurri jersey is like a second skin to him.

“Why is the national side so important to me? Because I played at a low level for so many years when I didn’t have targets like the Scudetto and the Champions League, let alone the Azzurri shirt.

“When you play for Marsala and Trapani it is tough. Today I know that I have worked hard to get where I am and I deserve my spot in the Italy side more than others.”

To read the exclusive interview with Marco Materazzi in full, just pick up the March issue of Calcio Italia magazine.

channel 4

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
you should be able to play for italy if you have italian grandparents because that means you are italian. god i wish maradona wouldve after all he is italian :wink:
Does it really work that way?Because i dont think Amauri has Italian grandparents.He'd be eligible to play for the Italian NT because he's lived in the country for 5 years now,and is thus eligible for an Italian passport now.Kaka could play for the Italian NT too,because he got the passport last year,but i dont think he has italian grandparents.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Does it really work that way?Because i dont think Amauri has Italian grandparents.He'd be eligible to play for the Italian NT because he's lived in the country for 5 years now,and is thus eligible for an Italian passport now.Kaka could play for the Italian NT too,because he got the passport last year,but i dont think he has italian grandparents.
im saying thats how it should be, i think if you live in a country for 5 years you should be able to get a passport but you shouldnt be able to play for the national team, amauri wanted to play for brazil but they didnt want him. whyt should we take other teams left overs! we are the world champion FFS, i like amauri but he shouldnt be able to play for us. i beleive you should have italian grandparents or parents or else no italian national team!

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Schillaci: Azzurri need Del Piero

Italia ’90 hero Toto Schillaci has backed Alessandro Del Piero for a starring role in the European Championships this summer.

There has been much debate in the peninsula over whether Del Piero or Sampdoria firebrand Antonio Cassano should be included in Roberto Donadoni’s squad.

“Del Piero is a great player,” Schillaci told Radio Kiss Kiss. “It is right that the Nazionale calls those who are in good shape and at the moment that is Del Piero.”

The Sicilian striker was a late inclusion in the 1990 World Cup side and from a reserve role ended up as top scorer with six goals, taking Italy to third place.

After the competition Schillaci played for both Juventus and Inter, two clubs that have gone through differing fortunes in recent times.

“I wish Juventus the absolute best of luck. They have just come back into the top flight after Calciopoli and are already doing very well.

“In my view, Inter can manage to overturn the 2-0 first leg defeat to Liverpool in the Champions League.”

However, he also had criticism for the Nerazzurri, who rarely have a single Italian player in their starting XI.

“I agree with FIFA President Sepp Blatter that there should be limits of five foreigners in every club side.

“Youngsters are currently blocked off by the arrival of overseas players and the effect is also felt within the national team.”

channel 4

Sep 26, 2007
Schillaci: Azzurri need Del Piero

“Del Piero is a great player,” Schillaci told Radio Kiss Kiss. “It is right that the Nazionale calls those who are in good shape and at the moment that is Del Piero.”

“In my view, Inter can manage to overturn the 2-0 first leg defeat to Liverpool in the Champions League.”

channel 4
Its hard to take him serious after he claims that Inter should be able to beat Liverpool :faq1: Why would anyone want that?

I think Del Piero will be called up to the Nazionale for Euro 08. There is no way that Donadoni is that dumb....hopefully.

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Uefa, 4000 euro al giorno ai club per ogni giocatore a Euro2008

13:31 del 27 febbraio

I club riceveranno 4.000 euro al giorno per ogni loro giocatore impegnato agli europei del 2008. Lo ha indicato il presidente del Lione, Jean-Michel Aulas. La somma, ha spiegato, sarà prelevata dai benefici che avrà l'Uefa, organizzatrice del torneo

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Amauri closes on Azzurri

Palermo striker Amauri is on course to receive an Italian passport in time to contend for a place in Roberto Donadoni’s Euro 2008 squad.

The nine-goal Brazilian marksman has become one of Serie A’s hottest properties and is in line for a summer move to one of the peninsula’s giants, but he is yet to receive a Selecao shirt.

Rather than wait for Carlos Dunga’s selection, Amauri has indicated that he is ready to play for Italy and is set to gain citizenship after spending over five years in the country.

“He will get an Italian passport by April 30,” agent Mariano Grimaldi revealed on Radio Kiss Kiss. “Amauri will then be available for selection in the Azzurri side.”

Donadoni is looking for a dependable hitman to play understudy to Luca Toni in Austria and Switzerland and there is a chance he may have found his man.

However, debate is set to rage over whether Amauri should be eligible for Italy, given his lack of any Italian descent.

The same issue caused heated argument back in 2003 when Argentine winger Mauro Camoranesi was called into the Azzurri squad.

channel 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)