Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Qualifier thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Firstly congratulations to Scotland. Judging by posters like Juve-red, Bozi, Angela, et al, they have fanbase second to none, and qualification is something they more than deserve. Seriously, who expect Scotland to do this well in a group of Azzurri, France, Ukraine. I would like to petition Platini that this group deserves 3 teams to go through, since other groups are nowhere near the quality of this one. Their qualification is far from sealed, since they still got Ukraine and Azzurri to play for, but given that both of those fixtures are at home, I fancy them to take something like 2 to 3 points, which gives them a great chance of qualification depending on whom they get result from, and what happens elsewhere.

I am officially Scotland fan now. Yes, the result was bad for Italian chances, since draw against Scotland wont be sufficient for them to go through, but I am taken over their effort, heart, and determination by both players and fans. I will miss Italia or France in the group stage proper, but we only got those officials who come up with groups to blame for!

And official apologies to Donadoni. I am not going to comment on coaching on match I havent seen, but I have given him fair bit of criticism for sticking with Di Natale. And you know, he paid Donadoni's belief with this performance and with some interests as well! That is why people like me are amateur watchers, and he gets paid to do his job. And talking about conservatism. Five new players! That is way to go. I am not going to criticize coach for every result, because that comes up with luck, but man those gutsy calls are things I like to see from the coach.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Not that shocked actually, Scotland are tough nut to crack and their fans are amazing. I hope they qualify along with Italy.

Good result for the Azzurri, but we still have to go to Scotland.
We got lucky, scored with our only shot, not that France did very much. Would be awesome if France failed to qualify.

We had about 15,000 fans over to the game, will be one hell of a party in Paris tonight.

Scotland vs Ukrain isn't an easy game
None of our games are easy now. It is very possible that we won't win another game.

This is a generation of Scottish players that haven't qualified for a tournament and are now in unfamiliar territory, so who knows how they will react.

OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #987
    ok this is good for italy's shot at winning the group yet it will make it more difficult for us to qualify. The most crucial game for us will be the scotland match as it could decide who qualifies.
    in my opinion these games will decide the two qualifiers as currently it is a three horse race between italy, france, and scotland.
    italy vs. scotland
    scotland vs. ukraine
    France vs. ukraine
    those are three most important qualifiers a slip up in any of those games for either scotland italy or france and they could well be out.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    ok this is good for italy's shot at winning the group yet it will make it more difficult for us to qualify. The most crucial game for us will be the scotland match as it could decide who qualifies.
    in my opinion these games will decide the two qualifiers as currently it is a three horse race between italy, france, and scotland.
    italy vs. scotland
    scotland vs. ukraine
    France vs. ukraine
    those are three most important qualifiers a slip up in any of those games for either scotland italy or france and they could well be out.
    Winning Group for Azzurri probably wont matter since this doesnt directly influence their draw at the Euro. So what matters only is qualifying, and Scotland winning in France, has unambiguous effect on the Italians that it is very bad. But full credit to the Scots, there are making this Group stage interesting, well beyond I imagined.:tup:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    The most important matches for Italy are Scotland-Ukraine and of course Scotland-Italy.
    Ukrainians will probably lose all their chances before the last match and Ukraine-France will be meaningless for the Ukrainians so France can easily win that.

Georgia-Scotland isn't as easy as it seems. Georgia has some very good individuals and they aren't easy to beat, especially at home.

If Scots beat Ukraine and Georgia then Scotland-Italy will be the final where only a win will take Italians to the euro 2008.

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #990
    France have no more really hard games although there game in ukraine could be tricky and if they fail to win they will be in danger of not qualifying. France look to have it easy yet if they do get beat by ukraine they will have to rely on other results to qualify. This is going to be a very tight finish and i think definelty the biggest game will be the italy-scotland game as the winner of that game will qualify for the euros. Ukraine are out of contention for a top two finish yet with games agaisnt Scotland and France they will be eager to go out on a high and i certainly wouldn't rule a surprise result from them out. Ukraine could really help out the azzurri if they hold the scots and france at least to draws. I hope france get beaten in ukraine and the azzurri take top spot and scotland can qualify in second

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    Firstly congratulations to Scotland. Judging by posters like Juve-red, Bozi, Angela, et al, they have fanbase second to none, and qualification is something they more than deserve. Seriously, who expect Scotland to do this well in a group of Azzurri, France, Ukraine. I would like to petition Platini that this group deserves 3 teams to go through, since other groups are nowhere near the quality of this one. Their qualification is far from sealed, since they still got Ukraine and Azzurri to play for, but given that both of those fixtures are at home, I fancy them to take something like 2 to 3 points, which gives them a great chance of qualification depending on whom they get result from, and what happens elsewhere.

I am officially Scotland fan now. Yes, the result was bad for Italian chances, since draw against Scotland wont be sufficient for them to go through, but I am taken over their effort, heart, and determination by both players and fans. I will miss Italia or France in the group stage proper, but we only got those officials who come up with groups to blame for!

And official apologies to Donadoni. I am not going to comment on coaching on match I havent seen, but I have given him fair bit of criticism for sticking with Di Natale. And you know, he paid Donadoni's belief with this performance and with some interests as well! That is why people like me are amateur watchers, and he gets paid to do his job. And talking about conservatism. Five new players! That is way to go. I am not going to criticize coach for every result, because that comes up with luck, but man those gutsy calls are things I like to see from the coach.
    It's sure Scotland is doing wonder, and ofcourse France and Italy played the world cup Final. But (a big one), France and Italy are shitty teams after the world cup. Italy is not the same when Lippi left, Donadoni was a mistake, and he will fail it soon. even if he qualifies, his team will get eliminated from the group stage..

France without Zidane is an average team, not one of the strong nations anymore. Zidane was a huge player, when he leaves, things doesn't go on the way it went when he was around. France will miss him alot. They don't have that leader or anyone to lead this squad anymore, same for Italy, they need Totti, and while Del Piero is losing it day by day, They need a new leader too.. These teams will need some years to get the place they were before, but sure they are both better in terms of players' quality than Scotland. They are just running by the wrong managers and need new spirit.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    I cant believe France lost yeterdays match..They completely controlled possesion..they have no one to blame but themselves..And Trezeguet was downright terrible..no off the ball movement at all..Vieira was bad too..anelka was more concerned about showing off his skills than threatening Gordons goal...and Nasri should start every game without him France lack creativity,craft and imagination

PS:anyone who says that the Vieira-Makelele partnership is out of his mind...I';d take Pirlo-Gattuso any day of the week

Sep 19, 2006
    I think Scotland beating France was the worst thing that could happen to Italy,I cant believe u guys are happy with this result,I would have preferred Italy drawing with Ukraine & France beating Scotland,at least then a draw would have been enough against Scotland to qualify.
    We are in the worst position EVER right now,I hope that Ukraine could save our asses & get a Draw against Scotland which will really be SO fucken hard giving that Scotland will play at home with the Support of the best Crowd in the world!

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    Now i will use the same logic that M.a.r.k used and tell him that Sccotland is a better team than France.

Forza Scotland.
    i officially go on record to tell you i love you

now let me tell you something about scotland, we always do things the hard way, beat the unbeatable, get teh nations hopes up and then fail miserably. what other country in the world can go to a world cup, beat holland(who later reach the final) yet lose to Peru!

the way i see it is this-

scotland will BEAT Ukraine at hampden

DRAW with Italy at hampden and put us on the verge of qualification

go to Georgia and lose 5-0 allowing france and italy to squeeze past us into teh tournament

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    We play Ukraine, then Georgia then Italy.

So we draw with Ukraine, lose to Georgia and then beat Italy. Unfortunately it won't be enough for us to qualify due to the previous results.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    We play Ukraine, then Georgia then Italy.

So we draw with Ukraine, lose to Georgia and then beat Italy. Unfortunately it won't be enough for us to qualify due to the previous results.
    however it works i am still too terrified to allow myself to believe we will make it.... history has shown us that we can really make a balls up of it.

on the other hand, if we win both games and results go italys way,we could both go into the last game needing a draw.........

and i am sure those dirty cheating eyetalianos that domenech love will go all out to ensure france go through by playing for a win:eyebrows:

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    scotland will BEAT Ukraine at hampden

DRAW with Italy at hampden and put us on the verge of qualification

go to Georgia and lose 5-0 allowing france and italy to squeeze past us into teh tournament
    i was thinking the same thing, we never make things easy for ourselves. I can see Shota Arverladze coming back to haunt Big Eck

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Did I not say Ukraine is not a good side? I don't why some nations are thought of as being good when they have done fook all?

Russia is another 1, I don't know why they were being feared when they are just above average.

All they like to do is shoot from long distance without creating much attacking play.

Italy were very unfit last nite but had enough quality to beat Ukraine, Zambrotta was the best player as he seems to be superman.

His energy levels are amazing, Pirlo as expected had a let down from his great performance on saturday whilst Iaquinta is very useless.

Di Natale though horrible at least has a bit of pace and does not keep on changing his mind like Dp does.

Perrota looked as unfit as his lack of playing term this season suggests and Panucci was horrible going forward.

Buffon, Cannavaro and Barzagli were very good, though Barzagli likes to take unnecessary risks at the back.

Ambrosini's great pass enabled him to get a pass mark cos otherwise he was poor

But ukraine were just abject, playing like that, they won win many matches.

Scotland were 1st class and showed that France with Domenech are totally bereft of ideas in beating teams who defend well

Nasri and Ribery should always play and I don't care who does not and Ribery should not be wasted on the wings.

Scotland have to beat Georgia in Georgia as I believe thats their most difficult game. It will be a darn shame if they dont qualify as they have been the best team from this group and in fact in the whole qualification groups, only Germany have been better.

Italy and France have just been sleepwalking their way to the top and only 1 of them deserves to qualify with Scotland

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)