Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Qualifier thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
European Championship Qualifying : Group B Table
08 September 2007 21:45

---------------------P W D L F A GD PTS
1 France ----------8 6 1 1 15 2 13 19
2 Scotland ----8 6 0 2 16 7 9 18 :weee:
3 Italy -------------8 5 2 1 13 6 7 17
4 Ukraine ---------7 4 1 2 9 7 2 13
5 Lithuania --------8 2 1 5 5 10 -5 7
6 Georgia ---------9 2 1 6 14 15 -1 7
7 Faroe Islands--- 8 0 0 8 2 27 -25 0

What are the World Champions doing way down there below Scotland? :D

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Will be awesome when Italy come to Hampden in November.

Could be a decisive game being so late in the campaign.

That and I'll finally get the chance to actually see Gigi and Ale and Co.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
hmm true true...and u're gonna be totally piss-drunk by the time Italy win the the match :D
Yeah probably.

We have an excellent home record though so we are capable of competing with Italy. We drew 1-1 with them a few years ago, and we are much better now than we were then.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Quick intakes from Italia vs Frane match.

It was always going to be cagey affair with both teams having too much to loose by loosing the match, and the game eventually ended predictable 0-0 draw.

But worrying for Azzurri, I cant but admit France looks likely superior squad at this stage. In 2000-2002, I personally think Italia was stronger of the two, despite popular conception that France was better, but the tide has turn, and this Italian teams in a mid-way between transition. I still believe Inzaghi and Ale can give many more to the Azzurri, but as a pair they are terrible. If both of them couldnt get it done all those years, they are not going to do it now. Without Totti, I think Italia are missing fantasista who can unlock defence with a moment of magic. So I dont know what hit Donadoni, but why he did not call up most talented Italian in Rosina, only god knows why. With likes of Escude, L. Diarra, and Abidal, and Thuram at the back, Rosina could have made them shit in their pants with direct dribbling and ligthening quick feet. Abidal looks far better than I initially thought, and Thuram, what player even at his age. I would take him in a heart beat in current Juve set-up.

Defence looked great for Italia, and another golden oldie, Cannavaro was simply captain immense. Henry who?:eyebrows: It seems when it comes to club mathes Henry owns Canna, vice verse in International stage. Barzagli did no harm for his reputation. I dont know why he gets so smuch stick. Playing with likes of Pisano, Cassani, Fontana, and Guana its like asking Gigi to save all the shots in the match. As a member of quality team, Barzagli is more than good enough. I am not too sure abou his price, but quality is there. And in midfield, Pirlo was pick of the bunch. Alongside Ribery, Thuram, and Canna, Pirlo was the star of the show. He would have been voted as my MOM, had he made more of set-pieces. Its an irony that he recognized the importance of deadball prior to the match, only to send many of those even I could have done better. But his distribution in the match was superb, and even carrying the ball to some extent.

As for France, Ribery looks like the part, and its probably debatable as for who is actually France best player ATM. Ribery has superb technique, which combined with his speed, makes him deadly at counter-attacks. He can also carry the ball up the field with great efficiency, and one thing I like about him is that he doesnt seem to matter which defender he is facing. Big game player no doubt. Bayern got themselves a real bargain, which is pity, because one may ask why we were investing similar some on Tiago Mendes, when Ribery is probably many times the player of superior quality.

And good luck to Scotland. I still feel Italia and France will go through, but they have done their nation will proud. If they qualify after playing 6 games against Italia, France and Ukraine, they may not be the best team in the world, but you cant do that based on luck alone. It shows the game is more than just being good with a ball, physically quick and strong. Good work by their manager of player, something which Azzurri could learn. Despite their desire in the match, it is blatantly clear Donadoni doesnt have the nous of Lippi when it comes down to managing. Di Natale is good player, but nowhere near the calibre of players he left behind. And why Lucarelli came on I don't know. Much maligned Gilardino is still player of highest quaity, with goal record to prove his case. He could have been useful against France IMO. I feel pitty for Donadoni since this Italian team is in a period of transition, but given the sheer quality in the youth set-up, and some of the decisions of old guards, he could have shaken the team a bit, which he hasnt, and he may find that costly mistake.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I would agree with pretty much all of that.

Canna was looking like his old Juve self, but the pace of the French counter attacks was terrifying causing Gigi to do well a couple of times.

As for Scotland, we have already achieved more than we could have imagined before the qualifying campaign started, but we will probably fail to qualify in the end.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I only saw the last 25 minutes of Italy-France but even so I have to agree with what Jun side. Canna played his heart out for his country just like in the World Cup and made me wonder if the Fabio Cannavaro who plays for Real Madrid isn't a different person.

The other Italian player who impressed me was Pirlo. Class personified.

Oh and one more thing, why for the love of God is Donadoni playing a 4-1-4-1 with Del Piero wide on the left? If there's one thing evident in his game this season it's an obvious lack of pace and Donadoni decided to utilize him in a position where speed is vital, particularly in said formation. If you're going to start him, which I have no problem with, play him up top or just off the front man.

OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #894
    i have to say despite the draw a number of our players have improved and returned to their world cup status. as for del piero? i think he did poorly because he no longer has the speed to play in a more midfield role and donadoni should put him and quagliarella up front as strike partners because inzaghi is to much of a gamble.
    i have confidence that we can and will beat ukraine. if we do so and scotland lose in france then we can draw them at home and win our next to games and qualify!!!
    im sorry juve red but for once i think im actually gonna root for france an a game since it will benefit italy. i hate france and i would much rather see scotland qualify for euro 2008 than them yet the azzurri come first.
    anyway im not at all worried about italy's qualification chances i never so far have been yet if we dont get a win agaisnt ukraine then i for the first time will be.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    DP needs to be given the chance to play as a STRIKER!!!

dude DP doesn't have the skill needed to start for the NT anymore. I love the guy but come on. He should be used as a sub., and he's shown in the past that in that role he can be great. Experience got us no where in the france game. Start aquilani, foggia, and quag's for fu.ck's sake.

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #896
    dude DP doesn't have the skill needed to start for the NT anymore. I love the guy but come on. He should be used as a sub., and he's shown in the past that in that role he can be great. Experience got us no where in the france game. Start aquilani, foggia, and quag's for fu.ck's sake.
    maybe ur right. hes still got the skill but he doesnt have the endurance or the legs

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Doesn't have the skill? Say he doesn't have the stamina or the speed but skill? He's the most talented guy in the Italy squad now that Totti is done and his technical ability is second to none.

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #898
    Doesn't have the skill? Say he doesn't have the stamina or the speed but skill? He's the most talented guy in the Italy squad now that Totti is done and his technical ability is second to none.
    agreed

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006

His awareness and football knowledge are second to none, I agree. He's still a great player but he shouldn't be starting for the azzurri anymore. How can you say he's the most talented guy on the Italy sqaud right now? He gets muscled off the ball way to easily, I couldn't count how many times he lost the ball against France. Granted he shouldn't be playing in the midfield or out wide because he is way to slow but still. He hangs onto the ball way to often. With that said Donadoni's an idiot. I don't blame del piero for his performance because he can't play in that position. Donadoni's got to realize DP played out wide because of totti. There's no point in playing him in that position anymore.

I hope quag's starts against Ukraine. I can see DP starting but only because of our lack of available strikers. Another option would be to play iaquinta up front with quag's right behind him.

gmyrek

May 4, 2007
    i have to say despite the draw a number of our players have improved and returned to their world cup status. as for del piero? i think he did poorly because he no longer has the speed to play in a more midfield role and donadoni should put him and quagliarella up front as strike partners because inzaghi is to much of a gamble.
    I agree that del piero did poorly.I don`t think he should play in a striker role.He doesn`t have the speed anymore.He actually played as a striker against France too, but his position was more wide left. I would like to see him as a attacking midfielder role, just behind two strikers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)