Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Qualifier thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Hmm let recap, they were walloped by Spain but came second in a group that consisted of Spain, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia ( i think). They were involved in the worst game in the tournament against Switzerland and only came thru on penalties and they got walloped by Italy 3-0 in the quarters. That does not sound like a good team at all. Scotland would beat them at Hampden park, I am almost sure of it
I hope so, but I have my doubts.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
azzurri is the world champion, Cannavaro is the euro and world player of the year, Milan champions of europe and super cup, Capello champion of spain, and now del piero won the golden foot..... i gave you success of only one year and some months do i need to add more to beat your (WOLRD AND EUROPEAN CHAMPION at the same time)????? no :tdown:

and the azzurri have nothing to prove and spacially to france because italy is way too much bigger than france in history be releastic :p
Ready made excuse just in case Italy lose,huh??

:disagree:

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Ukraine became the first team to qualify for wc2006, having finished above Turkey, Denmark and Greece.
Unfortunately Turkey and Greece seem to be resting on their laurels of reaching semis of wc2002 and winning euro2004 respectively whilst Denmark are going through a period of transition or how else can you explain them lagging behind to Northern Ireland and losing 4-0 at home to Rep of Ireland?

I still stand behind my original view as Ukraine have tried and failed to qualify for euro 1996, 2000, 2004, wc 98, 2002 and 2006

Lets see if they can qualify for this tournament

Tobias

Guerriero
Sep 20, 2006
DEL PIERO: "MEMORIES
OF THE FINAL OF BERLIN
WILL GIVE ITALY THE
RIGHT MOTIVATION"​

The Saturday match in Milan is coming closer and the Azzurri have high expectations. Alessandro Del Piero is charged up and motivated: "The match against France - said the Juventus player - is surrounded by lots of controversy but it will be a real match under every aspect. The stakes are high, we will have to give 110% keeping in mind that we will be playing at home and in a fantastic stadium like San Siro".

Italy and France, back again. The 2006 Berlin finalists that seem to know each other perfectly, both on and off the field. "It's true, we know each other very well - admits Del Piero - even if I think this matters up until a certain point. After a year, there have been some changes, but we still remember that fantastic World Cup and this will give us the right motivation". ,

From the Juventus club to the National team. Alessandro Del Piero does feel he is a part-time champion. And he wants a spot on the team that will take the field Saturday evening. "I am always here to play, not just to be a number. I do not feel like just one of the team", underlined Del Piero, respecting the situations and decisions made by Donadoni.

The controversy surrounding the match is similar to what happened in Berlin: "This atmosphere reminds me of how things were before the semifinal against Germany and then we won, clear and perfectly. Let's hope that France is setting up an own-goal".

In Berlin, Alberto Aquilani was not present and watched the match from home. "I remember the satisfaction - said the Roma player - that the team gave to all Italians. I can only imagine what my teammates felt that night. It is easy to find the right motivation for Saturday evening because we know what our opponent is worth and we know that the match is fundamental for the qualifications. Whatever happens off the field should not interest us too much, we have to think about the French team, not about their words".

TONI KEEPS HOPES UP

Luca Toni is hoping to be on the field on Saturday evening in Milan against France. "I will do all I can to be there - said the center-forward of the National team from the training camp in Coverciano. I still have a slight muscle problem, but only a little: I will do all I can to recover these days and be on the field. Donadoni decides."
This afternoon the Azzurri will have a closed-door training session, while tomorrow they have two workouts. Three days are left before the match against France and any decision regarding Toni.

May 25, 2006
ITALY kid Giorgio Chiellini has fuelled the flames of bitterness ahead of Saturday's clash with France by insisting Les Blues are scared of the Azzurri.

The war of words between Scotland's Euro 2008 foes is reaching epic proportions in the countdown to the powderkeg Group B encounter in Milan's San Siro.

Relations between France and Italy have never recovered after the infamous World Cup Final spat between Zinedine Zidane and Marco Materrazzi last summer which led to the French legend being sent off in disgrace.

Raymond Domenech's men drew first blood when the teams clashed in Paris at the start of the campaign but there is no sign of the ill-feeling passing with time.

France ace Lassana Diarra has sent Roberto Donadoni's camp into a fury by branding Italy a nation of "provokers and cheats".

UEFA hit Domenech with a one-match touchline ban for making a statement along those lines and his appeal was booted out this week, meaning he will watch the action in Milan from the stands.

But Arsenal new boy Diarra took the bitter rivalry between Scotland's two Group B rivals to an even higher level.

He said: "The Italians are well known for using all sorts of ways and means to win a football match.

"They try to provoke you on the pitch and there's always some kind of trickery or gamesmanship going on to try to fool you. We can't fall into their trap.

"There's no doubt they are going to try to make it difficult for us in any way possible.

"There will be a lot of boos and a physical fight on the pitch but we have to rise above it all. Sometimes it is hard not to react when you are provoked like that but we must all do it for the sake of the team.

"I've been abused in the past. I'm black and there are certain stadiums where someone like me is not welcomed and some fans come to the game only to insult you.

"Players are also guilty of it. But I'm young and it affects me less than perhaps older players.

"It's not nice for them to hear monkey cries from some fans in certain stadiums while their families and children are there watching.

"Things like that are not easy to swallow and some grounds in Italy can be very hot. But I hope and believe things like this are getting better."

Diarra further annoyed the Italian camp by saying his team are better than the world champions.

On the clash in Milan, Diarra said: "Italy have Gennaro Gattuso and Andrea Pirlo but we have Claude Makelele and Patrick Vieira. I really don't think the Azzurri have the stronger pairing.

"It will be difficult at the San Siro because the atmosphere will be very tense."

The Italians have come back fighting and Chiellini insists their rivals are frightened.

Juventus kid Chiellini said: "It's France who are afraid of us.

"We are aware that with the right will to win, qualification for the European Championship depends only on us."

Meanwhile, Donadoni insists he is not feeling under extra heat ahead of the crunch clash.

Victory for the French in Milan would heap pressure on the Italy manager and leave his team fighting a tough battle to qualify for the finals.

But Donadoni said: "I do not feel as I though I am being put to a test."

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Nesta retired from international football amd Matrix is injured..who's going to partner Cannavaro in defence??Barzagli??

Sep 19, 2006
Nesta retired from international football amd Matrix is injured..who's going to partner Cannavaro in defence??Barzagli??
Yup!
But I saw the first 2 palermo's matches this season & he was pretty solid though his team conceeded 4 goals.

I think Italy's suporiority will only come from the midfield with the likes of Pirlo,Gauttuso & De Rossi.
I hope Donadoni start with Camo,he said he still lackes matche fitness BUT The guy is a Must coz this squad dont have any other players who can support the strikers & it is a must win match.

OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #874
    most likely yet i think we shouldnt rule out donadoni pulling a surprise move and putting pannuci or chiellini in the center. honestly i think grosso would do fairly well in the center yet i dont know how his recent form has been because i dont watch the french league. does anybody here have an opinion on grosso's recent form?

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #875
    i think pirlo and gattuso have been very impressive in milan's early season. if they are both on form france will be in trouble. makele and veiria a better pair? no way in hell.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    Amauri Set For Italian Passport; And Azzurri?

Brazilian striker Amauri is set to get himself an Italian passport, but could that result in him deciding to join the Azzurri?

Palermo striker Amauri is eligible for an Italian passport due to his ancestral links with the country, and admitted that he is applying for one.

"At the moment it’s just a matter of documents," he told Studio Sport.

The news has set tongues wagging about whether he could don an Azzurri shirt, after having repeatedly been overlooked by the Selecao.

However, the 27-year-old refused to be indulged on the subject.

"I’m hoping to get an Italian passport, but for now let’s not talk about the national side," he said. "My priority is to reach top form [after his long injury lay-off]."

He concluded by speaking of his strike partnership with Fabrizio Miccoli, as well as scoring a Serie A goal for the first time this year.

"We understand each other well and we showed our understanding on Sunday," he said.

"Scoring a goal against Livorno was a liberation. When I saw the ball, the last nine months flashed in front of my eyes."

Frank Barrone

goal.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this guy will be the next Vieri for the Azzurri, a brillant striker!

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #877

Brazilian striker Amauri is set to get himself an Italian passport, but could that result in him deciding to join the Azzurri?

Palermo striker Amauri is eligible for an Italian passport due to his ancestral links with the country, and admitted that he is applying for one.

The news has set tongues wagging about whether he could don an Azzurri shirt, after having repeatedly been overlooked by the Selecao.

"I’m hoping to get an Italian passport, but for now let’s not talk about the national side," he said. "My priority is to reach top form [after his long injury lay-off]."

He concluded by speaking of his strike partnership with Fabrizio Miccoli, as well as scoring a Serie A goal for the first time this year.

"We understand each other well and we showed our understanding on Sunday," he said.

"Scoring a goal against Livorno was a liberation. When I saw the ball, the last nine months flashed in front of my eyes."

Frank Barrone

goal.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i really hope so. Toni could use a new partner

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002

Frank Barrone

goal.com

we dont need no Brazilian !!!:disagree:

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    I don't know what to say about amauri. On one side he's a great striker, but on the other side he isn't even italian. Maybe if he had some italian heritage, we could accept him. We're not france here, we can't just go to africa and claim players. I say stick with the italians, otherwise "playing for your country" means nothing.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    Amauri's a decent striker.But i think Italy have enough options upfront already.Toni,Del Piero,Gilardino,Cassano.Any of these could start on a given day.Bianchi and the Quad guy are decent,if not great backups when the need arises.Especially the latter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)