Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Qualifier thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
--------------------------Buffon-----------------------------

Oddo---------Cannavaro------Barzagli------------Zambrotta
(Materazzi)
-------------------Gattuso---------------------

--------------------Pirlo------------------------

--------------De Rossi-----Camoranesi--------------------

---------Del Piero-----------Toni-------------

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
Azzurri: Don picks final 21 Friday 23 March, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roberto Donadoni has excluded four players from the Euro 2008 qualifier with Scotland, but kept new boys Max Tonetto and Fabio Quagliarella.

Those of the original 25 left out of the trip to Bari are goalkeeper Marco Amelia, Fiorentina defender Manuel Pasqual, Milan’s Daniele Bonera and Chievo midfielder Franco Semioli.

The other 21 will meet at Coverciano on Sunday afternoon for the second stage of this international get-together ahead of Wednesday’s crunch tie at the Stadio San Nicola.

Amelia was suffering from a right knee problem, but the decisions were by and large tactical ones.

“I saw the new faces looking particularly sharp, especially Quagliarella,” revealed Donadoni after the training session.

“Will there be a debut at the first call-up? I will not exclude any possibility.”

It would be a gamble to count on the Sampdoria hitman, who has no international experience or Champions League pedigree.

Other doubts include Roma midfielder Simone Perrotta, who did not train today due to a right thigh muscle twinge. “I don’t think it is anything serious,” added the Coach.

Donadoni tested out a 4-2-3-1 system in training today and seemed confident this would be the right path against Scotland.

“It is one of the ideas I am considering at the moment. I performed some specific tests and am not particularly stressed.”

On one side he fielded Abbiati; Zambrotta, Bonera, Barzagli, Tonetto; Gattuso, De Rossi; Quagliarella, Del Piero; Di Natale, Gilardino.

On the other were Buffon; Oddo, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Pasqual; Pirlo, Ambrosini; Camoranesi, Mauri; Rocchi, Toni.

channel 4

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Tomorrow Georgians are gonna make scotland lose point(s) .. so Azzuri will have easy job.. qualifying :)

I just heard what Scotlands team will be tomorrow and it is awful (even by Scottish standards) so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Georgia win.

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
BUFFON TO HIS TEAMMATES: "WE CANNOT FAIL THE MATCH AGAINST SCOTLAND"

Rome 22/03/2007

"This is an occasion we cannot miss out on: we will do everything we can for our coach and for ourselves, we all have the same objective": this is what the number one of the National team, Gianlugi Buffon, had to say about the 2008 Euro qualifying match that the team will play on Wednesday against Scotland in Bari.
In the press conference held today in Coverciano where he participated together with Oddo and Zambrotta, the goalkeeper talked about the upcoming opponents: "Scotland - said Buffon - has grown a lot in the past two years, with respect to when we played against them in a qualifying match and won 2-0 in Milan suffering a great deal. It will not be an easy match, even if Italy is stronger and more aware than in the past; the absence of Miller could be an advantage for us since he is injured: he is not a typical player, he is a striker who goes looking for the chance to score and with these characteristics he is not like the other Anglo-Saxon players. In any case, we will have to give our best".
Massimo Oddo had the same opinion: "Honestly - said the Milan player - I am surprised to see Scotland ahead of us in the standings; they started off better than we did after we lost important points against France and Lithuania. We have to be concentrated because Scotland is a team that never gives up".

FIGC

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
Here is the schedule for the Azzurri:

EURO 2008 QUALIFYING MATCH ITALY-SCOTLAND
BARI, MARCH 28, 2007 - h. 20.50

Saturday 24 March 2007
Rest

Daylight savings time ends at 2:00 am
Sunday 25 March 2007
Team meets in Coverciano

Monday 26 March 2007
h. 10.30 Training (open to the press)
h. 13.30 ca Press conference Head coach + players

Tuesday 27 March 2007
h. 11.00 Charter flight from Florence to Bari
h. 18.00 Training San Nicola stadium in Bari
Press conference head coach + players

Wednesday 28 March 2007
h. 20.50 ITALY-SCOTLAND - Referee Frank De Bleeckere (Belgium)
Press conference at the end of the match and flight

Thursday 29 March 2007
h. 10.00 Press conference with Head coach at the San Nicola stadium in Bari

Jul 23, 2006
Group B rivals put pressure on Don

Roberto Donadoni must beat Scotland on Wednesday after Italy slipped to fourth place in Euro 2008 qualifying Group B.

The Scots made their debut under new Coach Alex McLeish and needed a last-minute winner from Craig Beattie to see off Georgia 2-1.

Donadoni was in the stands at Hampden Park to see Kris Boyd open the scoring with a header at the 11th minute, although Shota Arveladze equalised before the break.

France also left it relatively late to maintain the pace set by Scotland, earning a 1-0 victory away to Lithuania with Nicolas Anelka’s solo effort from a tight angle.

The pair continue to lead the qualifying group on 12 points after five matches, but Italy have now been overtaken in third place by the Ukraine.

The side Marcello Lippi’s men thrashed 3-0 in the World Cup quarter-finals now have nine points after four games – leaving the Azzurri behind on seven in the same period.

Despite losing Andriy Shevchenko to injury this week, Ukraine still comfortably beat the Faroe Islands 2-0 with goals from Yerzerskyi and Gusev.

Click http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/azzurri.html for Group B standings and fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)