Official album review thread (1 Viewer)

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
This is going to be a simple review of what I like and mostly what I don't like about Daft Punk's Random Access Memories.

First, the album doesn't flow well. It feels like 13 tracks put together without much thought to the progression of the album. I think it is probably so disjointed due to the fact there are so many collaborators, which makes it seem more like a compilation than an album.

Next, there is far too much filler, so many tracks just sound overly similar and seem to be borrowing ideas from Discovery. Check 'Within',
'The Game of Love', 'Beyond' etc. They somewhat have the 70s vibe which the album is said to be chasing, but they lack the magic that the similar-ish tracks from Discovery had that them made so amazing. Tracks like Digital Love, Something About Us grab you from the first listen and compel you to want to listen more. The R.A.M. tracks completely lack this. These are just mediorce 6-7/10 tracks, in my opinion. There is nothing really that much that stands out that I couldn't find elsewhere. They also seem to float one idea the whole track, which is ok, but when the original idea isn't that good to begin with, it doesn't sound very interesting. i.e. 'Within'.

Third, the vocoder use. It worked on the first three albums, but I don't think it works on R.A.M. They seem to be throwing it in to leave their mark on the track so it sounds like Daft i.e. Lose Yourself to Dance. The vocoder is completely unnecessary in that track and ruins it for me. Not to mention the lyrics themselves in that track: 'cmon cmon cmon' and 'get your body on the floor'... I mean seriously??

Some tracks I have no idea what the f*ck they wanted to do, like 'Touch' and 'Instant Crush', I don't really like them, but they are ok at what they do so I'll leave it at that. (This is not a criticism, just an opinion/statement). Another little observation I might add is on Motherboard. It sounds remarkably like something from Phillip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack, maybe Resource/Vessels. Have a listen on youtube and you'll see what I mean. Those clarinet?/flute? sounds around 2:10 or so sound identical.

Now to the two songs that flat out suck donkey balls. These happen to be the last two songs.

Doin' It Right is an absolutely awful track, the worst on the album in my opinion by far. I seriously cannot even begin nor want to imagine what possessed them to think having that generic 808 drum machine sound was a good idea. I mean, this is the same sound you hear on a lil wayne track or whatever. I can only hope that somehow that useless 'panda bear' convinced them to use it. And the vocals.... surely they could have come up with something just a little bit more creative than that.

Next is contact, the collaboration with DJ Falcon whom I admire and it was one of the tracks I was looking forward to the most. Turns out, it is a massive flop and the use of real drums leaves it sounding like a big mess. It's clear they wanted this to be a 'big' track like something you might hear on Alive 2007 but this track just builds to nothing and sounds like a f*ck up. I actually like the synth melody they used, it's perfect for what they wanted but the execution is downright awful.

Now to the positives, the mix and mastering are very nice, it all sounds quite clean, the kicks have a nice midrange pop to them and the guitars are really well placed in the mix. Also, I don't think any lover of real music can say that they don't appreciate what Daft are trying to do here, using their name and influence to try and bring some of the soul and groove back into modern EDM and showing that it doesn't have to be made on a computer.

I'll finish up by rating the tracks.

Give Life Back To Music: 7.5/10
The Game of Love: 6/10
Giorgio By Moroder: 8.5/10
Within: 5/10
Instant Crush: 6.5/10
Lose Yourself To Dance: 7/10
Touch: 6/10
Get Lucky: 7.5/10
Beyond: 5.5/10
Motherboard: 5.5/10
Fragments of Time: 6.5/10
Doin' It Right: 0/10

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I agree with everything apart from the fact I really like Doing it Right, Although I do just listen to is as Panda Bear song and not an actual Daft Punk song which I do with most of the tracks as I feel like most of the songs are too dominated by the collaborators it should be Nile Rodgers and Pharell Williams- Get lucky ft Daft Punk, Panda Bear- Doing it right ft Daft Punk, Julian Casablancas- Instant Crush ft Daft Punk etc. It really does sound like a compliation album mixed b Daft Punk. I mostly agree with the fact that it doesn't flow well and that the lyrics are horrible and cheesy. Some songs are a mess and have too much going on I would of liked if they had of made a few simple Dance songs. The sad/ slow songs don't work and I don't like nor never will like Pharell Williams. Nothing will ever top their previous work I think Alive was their masterpiece and a celebration of their career but I actually do like this album for what it is but still it isn't half as good as I would expect from a Daft Punk album especially considering the hype.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
been listening to some 2014 albums, so far the standouts for me are:

Royal Blood - Royal Blood 8/10
This one kicks ass, a bit too much Muse-y at times for my liking, but the attitude on this one is great, prob album of the year for me so far

The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt 7/10
The groups title kinda suits them, hadn't heard of them before this album, but they do sound very anthemic. Melodic pop-rock with very nice vocals and some cool lyrics like
you know me how I love to be with Madame Misery.
Come and visit me, I'm on the 99th floor of apathy

Seether - Isolate and Medicate 6.5/10
Terrible moments mixed with good songs, the standouts for me are See You at the Bottom, a kicking opener and the single Words as Weapons

Black Keys - Turn Blue 7/10
Not as great as Brothers or Rubber Factory, but fun nonetheless, as always a quality album from these guys, personal favorite Gotta Get Away, great song only I somehow find it similar to Kid Rocks famous song can't remember the name suddenly

Jack White - Lazaretto 7/10
weird, bluesy, full of soul, mystical and at times very heavy, but mostly just sad and black

Some others I've heard are Buckherry - Fuck, terrible concept EP, but You can see they had fun with it and 0 fucks where given about the quality of it :D, The Pretty Reckless - Going to Hell who actually had some nice moments, but the whole style is not for me I guess, Eels new album didn't stick, tried listening a time or two, but I guess this one will have to wait, also gave a listen to Ed Sheeran and Coldplay, no comments on those

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt 7/10
The groups title kinda suits them, hadn't heard of them before this album, but they do sound very anthemic. Melodic pop-rock with very nice vocals and some cool lyrics like
you know me how I love to be with Madame Misery.
Come and visit me, I'm on the 99th floor of apathy
I'm a big fan, actually something of a TGA hipster, but I think they peaked at The '59 Sound. The 3 albums since then have all had good songs on them (American Slang, Stay Lucky, 45, Handwritten, We Did It When We Were Young), but as overall albums they've lost something. It's probably because they moved a little away from the earlier punk sound. Like you say, they have always been anthemic, but much more mainstream now.

I'd definitely recommend the first two albums, as well as Señor and the Queen (Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts in particular).

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I'm a big fan, actually something of a TGA hipster, but I think they peaked at The '59 Sound. The 3 albums since then have all had good songs on them (American Slang, Stay Lucky, 45, Handwritten, We Did It When We Were Young), but as overall albums they've lost something. It's probably because they moved a little away from the earlier punk sound. Like you say, they have always been anthemic, but much more mainstream now.

I'd definitely recommend the first two albums, as well as Señor and the Queen (Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts in particular).
Yeah, will definetly give them a listen, downloaded Get Hurt two days back, got plenty of time for their history

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
What do you guys think about the new Korn album? They finally seem to be getting back on track, they released a couple of bad ones since Untitled 8 years ago, but this one I actually like

- - - Updated - - -

What did you think about Brians solo album?

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
What do you guys think about the new Korn album? They finally seem to be getting back on track, they released a couple of bad ones since Untitled 8 years ago, but this one I actually like

- - - Updated - - -

What did you think about Brians solo album?
I'm someone who counts Third Eye Blind, Alkaline Trio and Brand New among their favourite bands, that's no problem :D
:frog:

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Stereophonics have released their latest album Scream Above the Sounds, it's pretty inconsistent as some tracks feel like they took Kelly 10 minutes to write, but album as a whole is probably their best one since Pull The Pin ~10 years ago. What's All The Fuss About is my clear favorite, hauntingly beautiful and imo a step further for them both lyrically and musically. I don't really get why they're so hated in UK, Kelly Jones has easily one of the best vocals of his generation, he could sing the menu of McDonalds and still sound better than most music out there.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
gave a listen to U2s latest album Songs of Experience, liked Landlady, Red Flag Day and Blackout, some good melodic lines and lyrics. but overall you can't shake the feeling that they've been done for so long that even they know it. Bono still has quite a unique voice, even if it's fading fast

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
Big Kritt's new album 4eva is a mighty long time is a FIRE album, would recommend to anyone.

Damian Marley's Stony Hill is a must listen as well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)