Official album review thread (2 Viewers)

OP
Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #141
    Miles Kane-The Colour of the trap

anybody who listened to the excellent "the last shadow puppets" will probably remember it as Alex Turners side project with...em...his mate...you know...that guy who was in...em The Rascals? aye thats it The Rascals,well the time has finally come for Miles Kane to step out of the shadows because this is an excellent album that shows that maybe,the whole perception was wrong.

Miles Kane seems to be living in a time warp and is bringing us fantastic nuggest of pop-rock straight out of the 60's,i have to admit i always thought he was along for the ride on Alex Turners side project but from opening bass of "come Closer" Kane nails his flag firmly to the mast. there are moments of real inspiration in here "rearrange" is indie pop perfection while "quicksand" could easily have been a 60's beach party dance song,"inhaler" is a little heavier a little fuzzier and "kingcrawler" opens with an ay-ay-ay-ay that is so retro you bet it has cork wallpaper.

while there are a couple of throwaway tracks this album has Miles Kane showing he has found his niche and is growing into the role of a proper frontman

7 out of 10

Buy on AliExpress.com
    OP
    Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #143
    Radiohead is so overrated I don't even know why people even like them. They have like 1 and a half good songs.
    Pablo Honey,THe Bends and Ok Computer are some of the best albums of that time period,not just in their genre

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
    I was just listening to Colour of the Trap today, Bozi. I think everybody had their doubts about Miles because The Rascals were rubbish and people assumed Turner was the brains behind the Shadow Puppets. He showed us what he's made of with this album though. It's possibly better than Suck it and See IMO.

Have you heard the B-side he did with Arctic Monkeys recently?

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
    Apr 5, 2006
    been meaning to talk this album up for aaaaages

The Black Keys-Brothers
    well the Black Keys have finally gone commercial...well at least they have gone for a less riff heavy,almost soulful sound taht will make this album sell by the bucketload and bring them more into the public consciousness. make no mistakes this album is a triumph and dan auerbach's really shows of his vocal range but it is musically the most diverse album by the duo.
    there are still some atypical Black Keys songs on here in the form of "I'm Not The One" and "next Girl" but clearly this is an album to break out of the niche that they have carved out for themselves. more radio friendly fare in " Everlasting Light","Tighten Up" "howling for you" tread the fine line between being easy on the ear without sounding like out and out pop songs.
    the real highlights of this album come from the mowtown inspired cover of "Never gonna give you up" and the absolutely wonderful "ten Cent Pistol"

the album is possibly 2 tracks too long and as such it starts to feel a little over indulgent but this is the album that will propel them into the spotlight and no longer be everyones "best kept secret"

9 out of 10
    I got a boner when i saw you just mentioning the name The Black Keys..... I came after i saw your album rating at the end!! :tup:

Excited to get my hands on this.
    Oh, you will be even exciteder, if this is a word at all!!!

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
    Apr 5, 2006
    Ok people, im gonna give this a try. This will be my first album review and please dont laugh if it turns out to be stupid. I didnt read any rules of how old is the album allowed to be so since this is my first album review, i chose to dedicated to my ultimate, most favourite group of them all and (imo) their best album...

Moprhine - " The Night "

This is their last, 5th, studio album, released in February 2000, almost a year after the sudden death of the lead singer Mark Sandman, who died while performing on stage near Rome, Italy. For those of you who dont know Morphine at all, they are an alternative-rock, or fuck-rock band as Mark once said himself. Unlike their previous albums where 99% of their songs had only a slide bass, drums and a barritone (sometimes soprano or tenor) sax in them, in most of the songs in this album you can hear other instruments like piano, violoncelo and some other instruments which are perfectly combined to create this wonderful, dark, deep sound that will surely take you for a ride. The song " The Night " in this album is the most critically acclaimed Morphine song. It is a wonderful, slow, sad song, surely something unlike anything you have heard before in your life. I know it was for me when i first heard it. Since this song is first on the album, it immidietly puts you in the right mood and if you get caught up by the first song it makes you want more, and more is what you get. The songs " Rope on Fire" and " The Mirror" will definetly leave you speachless with their uniqueness and emotional bomb that they will drop on you (especially the sax in "The Mirror). The emotional roller-coaster continues with songs " So Many Ways" and " Top Floor, Bottom Buzzer" which are a bit livelier than the other songs on this album. And, at the end, the whole wonderful expirience is finished with , what i think is Morphine's masterpiece, the song " Take Me With You" which will make you wonder where have you been all your life...... All in all, it is an album worth listening to, especially if you are into this sort of music, the slower one, the emotional one, with lyrics that you will not completely understand, but will definetly manage to transfer the emotions from them onto you. I give it 9/10 just because i think that it is one song too long...... Enjoy....

OP
    Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #148
    leave him alone Salman,in all honesty i am glad to have contributors as my album reviews are.....well...a bit shit lol

good work man

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    The Black Keys - El Camino
    A really nice album. Not the expected repetitive blues thing they had done in the past (less in Brothers), but dynamic and full of energy sound that keeps changing and entertaining you, it's hard to get tired of this album. The lyrics are great (run right back being my favorite, "she doesn't read too much, oh, but there's doubt, that she's written about), but the short, radio friendly sound may have taken a bit of the bands deepness. As for the music, it ranges from popsy choirs, to reagge rithms to pure garage stuff and rock, but the main things is that they're all pressed in 3-4 minutes, so they never had the chance to tire you with one or two guitar riffs simply because everythings so short. Loved the "Stairway to heaven" style "Little Black Submarines", probably my favorite song of the year, the single Lonely Boy is a good, up-lifting song. Addicting, dirty and fun, truly recommend this.

OP
    Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #152
    The Black Keys - El Camino
    A really nice album. Not the expected repetitive blues thing they had done in the past (less in Brothers), but dynamic and full of energy sound that keeps changing and entertaining you, it's hard to get tired of this album. The lyrics are great (run right back being my favorite, "she doesn't read too much, oh, but there's doubt, that she's written about), but the short, radio friendly sound may have taken a bit of the bands deepness. As for the music, it ranges from popsy choirs, to reagge rithms to pure garage stuff and rock, but the main things is that they're all pressed in 3-4 minutes, so they never had the chance to tire you with one or two guitar riffs simply because everythings so short. Loved the "Stairway to heaven" style "Little Black Submarines", probably my favorite song of the year, the single Lonely Boy is a good, up-lifting song. Addicting, dirty and fun, truly recommend this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqJhxsnwRSU
    i need to buy this,loved every album

OP
    Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #153
    PJ Harvey-Let England Shake

BUY THIS ALBUm......

or download it

9 outof 10

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Van Halen- A Different Kind of Truth

There are two distinctive camps out there when it comes to "The Great Van Halen Debate". There are those, like myself, and the vast majority of Van Halen Fans, where Van Halen ended when David Lee Roth left the group in 1985, forever remembering that at one time, this group singlehandedly ushered in the hard rock scene in Los Angeles, and brought forth a new wave of music. An unapologetic, brash, bold, smart, funny, and most of all, FUN way to enjoy your rock and roll. The type of music where you would smile, bang your head, play air guitar, and try to reach Michael Anthony's soaring background vocals, all at the same time. A time when they were larger than life, selling out stadiums world wide, all the while with albums that were at most, 37 minutes in length. The other camp are those who are Pro Sammy Hagar, who was the lead vocalist from 1986-1995, and again in 2004 on the extremely ill fated reunion tour (Although no fault of Sammy, as Eddie was a certificable mess). That incarnation of Van Halen did bring in a wider, more pop oriented audience with their hit albums such as 5150, OU812, and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (Arguably the best of the post DLR albums, thanks in part to the return of producer Ted Templeman). But that success during that era came at a cost. The cost being that the very essence of what made Van Halen, well, Van Halen, was basically stripped away in favor of more pop laden songs and deeper lyrical content. Depsite my love for Sammy as a member of the seminal rock group Montrose (Bad Motor Scooter, anyone?), his classic period of solo albums from 1979-1982, and his current work with Chickenfoot, I could never personally embrace him as the lead singer of Van Halen. This wasn't the case of Brian Johnson replacing Bon Scott in AC/DC, where the group actually got heavier and ballsier. This was a case of Van Halen losing their way. When I heard "Why Can't this be Love", I literally cringed in agony, wondering how Foreigner was able to steal the Van Halen name and release an album

So, it comes as no surprise that those in the DLR-Van Halen Camp were equally excited and nervous about what "A Different Kind of Truth" would bring. Upon hearing that half of the material was going to be composed of earlier demos and outtakes that never made it to an album, the band got a lot of unnecessary flak for it. If other, well known bands were able to do this (The Rolling Stones "Tattoo You" album, which contains classics such as "Start me UP, "Hang Fire", and my personal favorite "Waiting on a Friend" was composed entirely of unreleased songs from the 70's), then why can't arguably one of the most influential American bands of our time do the same?

7 of the 13 songs on the album are re-workings of Van Halen songs that were never released, or as part of their early Demos. the first song,and single "Tattoo", is a reworking of "Down in Flames", and is far and away the safest song on the album, the most pop oriented of the bunch. Opinions have varied greatly on this song, and it does take a few listens to get used to, but it is a decent song. Again, Van Halen has punked us by releasing the worst song as the first single. They have done this before with Dancing in the Street, and Jump.

"She's the Woman" is a demo from the Gene Simmons produced demo from 1976 for Warner Brothers. It is a typical Van Halen song, short, sweet, adn to the point, with updated lyrics such as "I wanna be your knight in a shining pickup truck". It's a very fun song, and harkens back to the Van Halen I and II era, with a poignant mid to uptempo groove, and Eddie just being Eddie.

"You and Your Blues" is a new composition that fits in seamlessly with the Van Halen back catalouge. Riffs reminiscent of Post DLR Van Halen, but with Roth's signature vocals and lyrical twists. Background harmonies come into play on this track, and though Eddie and Wolfgang fill in admirably, there is a tinge of missing Michael Anthony's signature harmonies. Several twists come into play in the song, switching tempos regularly, with a searing guitar solo thrown in for good measure

"China Town", an homage to Roth's adopted home town of NYC, is a balls to the wall, full speed assault, and one that will have guitar maniacs drooling. This is also a new composition. Alex van Halen brings back what has been missing from Van halen recently. The double bass drum. The song doesn't stop for one second. Full throttle, pedal to the metal from beginning to the end. Shades of Van halen from the Fair Warning days.

"Blood and Fire", is a reworking from an Eddie Van Halen instrumental from 1984 titled "Ripley". It is a refreshing mid tempo change of pace song that harkens back to nostalgic times, and is an unabashed statement of "We've been through a lot of shit together, but we're back. Tell me you've missed us." Yes, yes we have.

"Bullethead" was a song never released, but composed in 1976. Pure speed, once again. It's astonishing that 3 of the 4 members are pushing 60, yet still have the energy to play like this. the growing trend here is that there are no ballads, and no songs that be considered as soft. that trend holds true for the rest of the album. Roth struggles to keep up on this song, and vocally, might be one of the low points on the album for him.

"As Is" is a new composition, and it flat out rocks. Starting out with a drum beat harking back to the "Everybody Wants Some" days, it quickly turns into a full out sonic blast. Eddie shreds throughout the song, and it quickly turns into a bluesy track midway through the song, with spoken word from Roth, before pounding the eardrums again with full force. one of my favorite songs on the album

"Honeybabysweetiedoll", a new track, is somewhere between Fair Warning and Nu-Metal in terms of the song composition. Thundering drums, washed out guitars with an alomst middle eastern vibe, and half vocals, half spoken word, the track is very, very heavy.

"The Trouble with Never", also a new track, has a Hendrix/Funk inspired groove, and could have, and quite honestly, SHOULD HAVE, been released as the first single. Soaring guitars, smart lyrics, and good vocal harmonies on the track.

"Outta Space" is a reworking from an older Van Halen song (the name escapes me). High tempo song, but an average song. Nice signature changes in the song, but not a song that I pruposely try to select when listening to the album. Throwaway song, in my opinion.

"Stay Frosty" Here we go. My favorite song from the album, a new composition that reminds anyone and everyone of "Ice Cream Man". An acoustic blues beginning that quickly swings to a rock-boogie assault on the senses. Lyrically, the strongest song on the album, and you can't help but smile when listening to this.

"Big River" is a reworking of "Big Trouble" a song that never was released. Great Van Halen sound circa 1979-1980. A Grandiose song with everything that you could ask for.

"Beats Workin"- a redux of "put out the lights", another song that was never released. Not Roth's best work vocally, but the song harkens back to those days from the 70's when life was all about having a good time in your custom van, smoking a joint, and downing some Pabst Blue Ribbon, or whatever beer you could afford for 2.00 a six pack. Has the signature Van halen sound.

My final grade on this is a 9/10. Why not a 10 out of 10? Several reasons. First, the production on the album could ahve been better. It has a muddy sound, which will certainly appease fans of the "Brown Tone" era of Van halen albums, but as loud and abrasive as Van halen inthe past has been, their albums were always crisp. You could hear every single note, every cymbal, every bass line. Sometimes, things just get a little fuzzy on this record. Also, although Roth is mostly in fine form, there are times where he does struggle with some of the faster songs on the album. Considering that he is pushing 57, and was never blessed with a great voice to begin with, this is understandable. He certainly sounds very good, all in all, and that is no minor accomplishment. Lastly, Michael Anthony. Granted, Wolfgang is emerging into a phoenomenal bass player, and there are moments where does sound "Anthony-ish" on the background vocals, you can tell that the background vocals were sometimes kep to a minimum because Anthony wasn't there. Songs such as Big River, Beats Working, you and Your blues would have been even better if he were there, but I digress.

I will end my review with this statement. I, as many Roth era Van Halen fans were wondering what this album would sound like, and where it would stand amongst the 6 classic albums of the past. I will say this. This is the heaviest Van Halen album since Fair Warning, and possibly even the best one since that 1981 release. This album trumps all of the hagar era records, and I'm not even going to count the Gary Cherone led disaaster of VH III. This is the ballsiest, in your face, unapologetic album by Van Halen in 30 years, and I am possibly the happiest Van Halen fan on the planet now for having listened to this album and appreciating everything about Van halen that I so dearly loved in my formative years.

Welcome back, boys. We missed you so much. Don't ever leave us again

9/10

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
    May 27, 2009
    :agree:

Massive album, in terms of how the mainstream accepted it, the musical quality and the lyrical wordsmithing in it.
    You're still a Radiohead hater. And because of that, I can't treat you any higher than I treat Hustini.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    First album review ever :D

Alice In Chains - 'Dirt'

Alice In Chains' 1992 album 'Dirt' is, in my opinion, the definitive grunge album of the 1990s and one of the best albums of the 1990s altogether. This album left a huge impact on the grunge and rock scenes at the time and brought on waves of Layne Staley and AiC imitators, though none were able to match the dizzying heights of 'Dirt'.

The album's opener, 'Them Bones', is reminiscent of the opening track 'We Die Young' from the band's debut and previous album, 'Facelift'. Both are heavily layered with drop tuned guitars and are two of the faster paced tracks on their respective albums. While 'We Die Young' is a hard rock/metal styled song, 'Them Bones' leans heavily towards the grunge genre through the muddy-sludgy verses and dark almost descending lyrics set against the ascending guitar riffs. The following song 'Dam That River', is quite similar to Them Bones also through the use of drop tuned guitars but has a much more upbeat feel. The song does also feel a little bland compared to Them Bones but regardless, it is a great track to get the blood flowing at the beginning of the album.

The following tracks 'Rain When I Die' and 'Down In A Hole' move in an almost ballad-y direction with longer, slower songs that in my opinion are two of the standout tracks on the record. Jerry Cantrell's huge chords in the verses of 'Down In A Hole' give a massive feel to the song in an almost brooding and ever increasing manner. 'Down In A Hole' is easily one of Alice in Chains' best songs from any release. Special credit also deserves to be given to Staley's vocals in 'Rain When I Die', particularly in the choruses.

'Sickman' is one of the most memorable tracks, thanks to Staley's twisted and 'sickman' vocal delivery in the 2nd part of the verses. This song in particular does leave a sickening feeling due to the horrible details of Staley's account of his heroin addiction.

Following 'Sickman' is 'Rooster', arguably the best Alice in Chains song ever and for me, the best track on the album. Written by guitarist Jerry Cantrell, 'Rooster' tells the story of Cantrell's father who was a war veteran. Hauntingly beautiful harmonies are layered all throughout this song if one listens closely and carefully enough, showing Staley's amazing vocal ability. It also has the standout vocal performance on the album for me too.

After 'Rooster', the album almost splits into almost another different album, giving a story of drug addiction. It begins with 'Junkhead', one of the most powerful songs on the album. 'Junkhead' tells almost a 'sex, drugs & rock 'n' roll' type story almost glamourising that lifestyle.

'Dirt' follows 'Junkhead' and is probably the darkest and most stomach churning song on the album. Staley's vocals in this song are truly out of this world with his strong vibrato haunting every note. Lines like 'I want you to kill me, and dig me under. I wanna live no more' give horrifying insights into what Layne was going through at the time and how horrible it must have been for him while at the same time haunting & scaring the listener.

The three tracks that follow 'Dirt' are, in my opinion, the lowest point of the album musically and mostly serve as filler.

'Angry Chair' is also not one of the best tracks on the album, repeating the 'sickman' style vocal delivery a little too often.

The final track on the album 'Would?', more than makes up for the previous four tracks and is another contender for best AiC song ever. The slow guitars and Jerry Cantrell's calm vocal delivery give an almost soothing feeling, that is until the chorus kicks in and Layne Staley's instantly recognisable wailing voice comes in. The outro to this song is arguably the finest moment on the whole album, giving the impression that Staley has realised the damage his addiction has done in a way that gives closure to the album and sums up the whole album very nicely.

If I have one gripe with 'Dirt', it is this: for the most part, Layne Staley's vocal performances do not come near the standard that they were on 'Facelift'. There are no soaring high notes like the choruses of 'Man In The Box' or crushing controlled screams like towards the end of 'Love, Hate, Love'. Whether his vocal performances were affecting by drug use, damaged vocal chords or just aging I do not know, but I feel they could have been a little more dynamic like in 'Facelift'.

Regardless, 'Dirt' is an incredible album that any self respecting grunge, rock or metal fan should own and is also worth a listen to anyone interested in those genres or even someone that just wants to a hear a genre defining album.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
    Good review :tup: Dirt is one of my favourite albums ever. Alice in Chain's EP Jar of Flies sits great beside it as the best work from an amazing band.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)